The Fraggle Season that Wasn't

PukkaPukka

Reaction score
Hey all, in talking with some people in the know, as well as through my own investigation, I have found, as a lot of you already know, that there was a planned fifth season of Fraggle Rock, but because of HBO dealings, it got cancelled after four and the producers tied up the loose ends in four. I would be interested to know whether or not some of the season five plots snuck into the Animated Fraggle Rock series. After all, that only ran for one season, if memory serves...it may have just acted as a minor replacement after the live-action series ended, with hopes (of course) of renewal for more than one season. Anyone here know anything?

>Adam

Don_Music_2004

Reaction score
Hmmmmm, well I'm not sure about some of the Animated Fraggle Rock stories. Like the one when Wembley gets big from wishing on that wishing stone and goes to the Gorg's Garden, and they think he's their cousin or the one when Wembley and Gobo climb to the top of the Gorg's Castle. I just can't picture them being used on the puppet series.

anathema

Reaction score
There's at least one on-line episode guide that breaks the show down into five seasons - is this not correct?

getup

Reaction score
as i recall there were five seasons of fraggle rock.

PukkaPukka

Reaction score
Nope. The show ran from 1983 to 1987. Production began on the first episode (principal filming) on March 10th, 1982, and production ended on the show May 28, 1986 (except for "Fraggles Look for Jobs"). After the 1982 recordings, which went from 03/10/82-08/04/82, there was a variable summer hiatus, and the seasons do indeed break down into the following scheme:

Season 1 - 1983-1984 (January mid-season - no '82 episodes)
Season 2 - 1984-1985
Season 3 - 1985-1986
Season 4 - 1986-1987 (last episode VTR 05/28/96)

The cast was told that there were going to be initially five seasons, and - when HBO pulled out - the loose ends were tied up in four. I think the whole reason many people think there were five is because of the show breaking into HBO midseason, rather than a normal fall startup. Either way, this is the way it went, to the best of my knowledge.

>Adam

anathema

Reaction score
There were five transmission runs:

10 Jan 83 - 4 Jul 83 (24 shows)
2 Jan 84 - 11 Jun 84 (24 shows)
7 Jan 85 - 25 May 85 (21 shows)
6 Jan 86 - 31 Mar 86 (13 shows)
5 Jan 87 - 30 Mar 87 (13 shows)

(plus "The Bells of Fraggle Rock", aired 23 Dec 84.)

Regardless of when/how the show was taped, this reads as five seasons from the point of view of transmission. The show always kicked off in January each year.

PukkaPukka

Reaction score
Whoops, my bad. This seems logical. I wonder though...oh well, nevermind. I guess this thread should then be called Season 6 - The Season that Wasn't. LOL. Thanks for that correction, man. Oh, BTW, are you pulling those first-last airdates from the UK airings at all, or was that from the standard US airing timetable? Either way, there *sniff* was still a season we missed out on potentially...dates weren't really the point of my initial post LOL...but this tech conversation was informative. Thanks again!

>Adam

PukkaPukka

Reaction score
Also, I wasn't inferring that the production dates were the airdates or held any relevance to them. Just remarking that for that first season, which was filmed in advance, there was no summer hiatus. And regarding the rest of my initial posting, just bump the numbers up by one...hehe...

PukkaPukka

Reaction score
January EVERY year? Wow. I need to take another glance at the tx dates somewhere if I can dig 'em up. I've got the VTR dates definite. But wow. As Fraggle appeared in January, were they (HBO) showing it as a midseason replacement in that timeslot perchance? It just seems irregular to start a series (even in standard transmission status rather than mid-season replacement status) in January EVERY year. I could see the initial year being started January, but the subsequent years? Yeesh...oh well...

anathema

Reaction score
Different channels may operate in different ways. On many channels a mid-season replacement would typically start in or around January, but then it would only run for two or three months, not six :smile: Over here, the new TV season starts in the autumn, but this wasn't always the case - the BBC season used to start in the New Year, and there is still a new raft of programming launched in the spring.

The dates I've listed are the original US airings, one show per week, no gaps.