DVD Player Hacking

tallnikky

Reaction score
Has anyone out there tried to hack there DVD player so they could play any region of DVD. I currently purchased the 12-episode UK Fraggle Rock set but I'm worried because I don't have a region-free player. So how hard was it to hack??? :excited:

Smy Guiley

Reaction score
I can actually make any DVD into any other region OR turn it into a region zero disc that will play anywhere. I'm thinking of doing this in time for Christmas so we can all have an unedited Muppet Family Christmas, whichever region you are in. If anyone thinks this would be cool, let me know, or I probably won't bother.

eric

tallnikky

Reaction score
Sounds like a good idea to me!!!

Might I ask what software you use to convert the DVD info from one region to another??? DVD X Copy??

anathema

Reaction score
tallnikky said:
Has anyone out there tried to hack there DVD player so they could play any region of DVD. I currently purchased the 12-episode UK Fraggle Rock set but I'm worried because I don't have a region-free player. So how hard was it to hack??? :excited:
Can't be done...at least not in the way you're thinking.

It's usually pretty trivial to modify a DVD player to accept discs from other regions. But you will never be able to modify an NTSC-only player (which is most players sold in North America) to play PAL discs such as the Fraggle Rock set. You need a player that is specifically capable of playing PAL discs, and these are extremely uncommon in the US/Canada.

Your best bet is probably to watch the discs on a PC. You will not get a very good quality picture that way (for all kinds of technical reasons), but it will work. You'll need to ensure you set your DVD drive to Region 2, of course :smile:

The other option is to find somebody who is willing to convert the discs for you. Simply changing the region code will not work - the discs have to be ripped, standards-converted to NTSC, and reauthored from scratch. This is a lot of work :smile:

anathema

Reaction score
Smy Guiley said:
I can actually make any DVD into any other region OR turn it into a region zero disc that will play anywhere. I'm thinking of doing this in time for Christmas so we can all have an unedited Muppet Family Christmas, whichever region you are in. If anyone thinks this would be cool, let me know, or I probably won't bother.

eric
Drop me a line...

tallnikky

Reaction score
I've got a Apex AD-500W which supports both NTSC and PAL...it's just the region 2 thats getting in the way.I've been surfing the net looking for hacking codes but it appears with my model DVD player that I'll need to crack open my player and replace the firmware chip.But the new chip not only makes it region-free but also disables macrovision too.Enabling DVD and VCR recording.

Sounds fun

But I still want to find a descent software system for my PC that converts DVD to VCD(or SVCD)

anathema

Reaction score
tallnikky said:
But I still want to find a descent software system for my PC that converts DVD to VCD(or SVCD)
Begging the question..."why?" ;-)

Wembley

Reaction score
Actually, the cyberHome 300 can output both NTSC and PAL - RadioShack has 'em on sale for $40. Pretty good unit, very small, and runs on 110 and 220 volt power. I just bought one for another project last night, and it works great. Good picture too, and (yes, there's more!), it also has progressive scan output!

(EDIT: Actually, the MPEG files on a DVD are not stored in "NTSC or PAL" format, they're converted from MPEG to whatever video system your video system uses on the fly. just had to clarify that...)

-Wembley

anathema said:
Can't be done...at least not in the way you're thinking.

It's usually pretty trivial to modify a DVD player to accept discs from other regions. But you will never be able to modify an NTSC-only player (which is most players sold in North America) to play PAL discs such as the Fraggle Rock set. You need a player that is specifically capable of playing PAL discs, and these are extremely uncommon in the US/Canada.