DVD Player Hacking

Smy Guiley

Reaction score
tallnikky said:
Sounds like a good idea to me!!!

Might I ask what software you use to convert the DVD info from one region to another??? DVD X Copy??
Actually I use a Mac. :smile:

Looks like people are interested, so I should be involved in some interesting trades come Christmas!

OFF TOPIC: I almost had my dream turntable for my LP conversions recently but someone else scooped it (ebay!) but I expect to get a decent one soon. (for those of you following the saga of the Unconverted Sesame Disco LP.)

later
eric

anathema

Reaction score
Wembley said:
Actually, the cyberHome 300 can output both NTSC and PAL - RadioShack has 'em on sale for $40. Pretty good unit, very small, and runs on 110 and 220 volt power. I just bought one for another project last night, and it works great. Good picture too, and (yes, there's more!), it also has progressive scan output!
Presumably build quality has improved then - a friend of mine had a
Cyberhome player, and it was nothing but trouble :-(

(EDIT: Actually, the MPEG files on a DVD are not stored in "NTSC or PAL" format, they're converted from MPEG to whatever video system your video system uses on the fly. just had to clarify that...)

-Wembley
Yeah, I know that :smile: I was simplifying since both discs and players are labelled as being "NTSC" and/or "PAL".

Stulz

Reaction score
Software?

Smy Guiley said:
Actually I use a Mac. :smile:

Looks like people are interested, so I should be involved in some interesting trades come Christmas!

OFF TOPIC: I almost had my dream turntable for my LP conversions recently but someone else scooped it (ebay!) but I expect to get a decent one soon. (for those of you following the saga of the Unconverted Sesame Disco LP.)

later
eric
I also have a Mac. What software are you using? Is it for OSX ?

Smy Guiley

Reaction score
Stulz said:
I also have a Mac. What software are you using? Is it for OSX ?
Yup. It's called "OSeX"! It's a small app and free also. Very easy to use. You can transfer all files from a DVD onto your Desktop in any region, or none (region zero) and then just reburn it. Simple.

Are you on Panther yet or just Jag? (I'm still on Jaguar and I still love it, as I'm still on a poor old iMac G3 750 MHz...although PC users: don't be fooled by the MHz!)

Sorry, that was off topic again.

*ahem* Yes, it's for OSX.

later
eric

beaker

Reaction score
My off brand dvd player plays PAL format, and converts it quite nicely:smile:
(its a daewoo)

Smy Guiley

Reaction score
Know what?

It seems the less you pay for a DVD player, the more it'll do! My little Sears player plays pretty much everything I put into it. I made a disc from my VHS of Rocky Mountain Holiday and it wasn't a VCD...it wasn't an SVCD...it wasn't even a KSVCD....it was an XKSVCD (that is: a near-"s"-quality-lowered-bitrate-"K"-matrix-disc or something like that...anyone who makes these should find that amusing at least) anyway, it plays perfectly, even though I pretty much messed with every parameter possible, keeping the quality vs. time-on-disc ratio as high as possible.

WOW I go off topic a lot lately.

*ahem*. Mine plays lots.

later
eric

Stulz

Reaction score
Panthaaaaaar!

Smy Guiley said:
Yup. It's called "OSeX"! It's a small app and free also. Very easy to use. You can transfer all files from a DVD onto your Desktop in any region, or none (region zero) and then just reburn it. Simple.

Are you on Panther yet or just Jag? (I'm still on Jaguar and I still love it, as I'm still on a poor old iMac G3 750 MHz...although PC users: don't be fooled by the MHz!)

Sorry, that was off topic again.

*ahem* Yes, it's for OSX.

later
eric
Yup, I'm using Panther 10.3 on a new Dual 2Ghz G5. My stupid DVD software got corrupted by Limewire and now I hve to dump all my files to an external drive or use CD's(uhg!) so I' won't be burnind DVD's for a while.

I have the Region 2 MTI in WIDESCREEN and would love to copy it to region 1 or 0 and buy the UK Muppet Show discs for the bonus specials uncluded and transfer them as well.

Thanks for the info

FragglettesMom

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
I read all this and my brain exploded.

Twice.
VERY funny, Fozzie!!!!!! Icouldn't agree with you more! I guess we are lucky there are people out there ( or in here ) who can do all of those things mentioned without their brains explodeing, otherwise we would not have computers, websites, cellphones, etc.

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
Smy Guiley said:
Know what?

It seems the less you pay for a DVD player, the more it'll do! My little Sears player plays pretty much everything I put into it. I made a disc from my VHS of Rocky Mountain Holiday and it wasn't a VCD...it wasn't an SVCD...it wasn't even a KSVCD....it was an XKSVCD (that is: a near-"s"-quality-lowered-bitrate-"K"-matrix-disc or something like that...anyone who makes these should find that amusing at least) anyway, it plays perfectly, even though I pretty much messed with every parameter possible, keeping the quality vs. time-on-disc ratio as high as possible.

WOW I go off topic a lot lately.

*ahem*. Mine plays lots.

later
eric
Thats true! My Sony player is a few years old and wasnt cheap and it doesnt play copied CDs, mp3s or anything like that not even cd-rs but luckily it plays dvd-r