Who remembers these?

Schmoo

Reaction score
The musical "stop" one was mentioned earlier--is this the one where a little girl says "I'm Tatiana Ali?" (who later played Ashley on The Fresh Prince of Bel Air)

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
dustinrn said:
One about kids playing jacks and using a horseshoe magnet to get a fallen jack back
That one's on Unpaved #1186.

dustinrn said:
The one where a hispanic mother and daughter go to a market to buy things for the chicken soup they make. At the end of the film the daughter says "MMMM, Mommi, the soup buena!"
I THINK that one's on an Unpaved episode ... I'm not sure.

dustinrn said:
Another short film that looks like it was filmed in the south bronx showing a steet basketball game, a kid rolling an old tire down the street, kids playing hopscotch, then they all gather around a snowcone vendor- wild bongo and horn music plays throughout the clip
:flirt:
"¡Linda paloma!" :big_grin: That one's on Unpaved #1091 and #2096.

Al Hempker

Reaction score
I do remember seeing the chicken soup film on Unpaved one night, but couldn't tell you the episode #.

MuppetDude

Reaction score
This is why I keep a notebook of "Unpaved" stuff. :big_grin:

The soup clip can be found in episode #2059.

SesameMike

Reaction score
rjschex said:
A little girl (preschool age, IIRC) sits down at a concert grand piano on a stage. She starts playing. While she's playing, she matures into an adult woman.
I remember it as a scene of an infant/toddler just banging on piano keys. A shot or two shows the corresponding jarring motion of the hammers inside the piano.

The banging fades into "Chopsticks" as we see a girl at about age seven playing on the same piano.

The Chopsticks sequence smoothly segues into a concert piece. The camera pans across the printed musical score, and I distinctly remember Beethoven being in the title. It's not until the end of the sequence that we hear resounding applause, and we see a full-grown woman in a gown stand up from the piano bench and take a bow.

SesameMike

Reaction score
dustinrn said:
The one where a hispanic mother and daughter go to a market to buy things for the chicken soup they make. At the end of the film the daughter says "MMMM, Mommi, the soup buena!"
A mother and daughter go into a mini New York-style market. Mom tells the man behind the counter that they are making soup tonight, and asks for a chicken and some rice. While waiting, the two of them walk off and pick up the veggies. The girl announces each one (including one I didn't quite comprehend; was it "garlic" or "barley"? Thought I'd heard "garley"). Then camera switched back to the storekeeper getting the other items. I think he was Italian, as there was a very distinct trill in his R when he said "rice".
dustinrn said:
a kid rolling an old tire down the street
This might be a different skit, but the one I remember showed a steam shovel dropping a load of nondescript junk on a landfill. Among the junk was a bicycle wheel which rolled away off the mound of debris. We watched it roll for quite a ways through city streets. It even went clean through a marketplace, or crowd of sidewalk vendors, without being disturbed. Finally, the wheel bumps up on a curb and tips over. In what must be the most bizarre coincidence, this tire stopped a few feet away from a little boy who was assembling a cart or wagon of some sort -- which was missing exactly one wheel. What's more, this stray wheel was a dead-on match with all the others. So the boy grabbed the wheel and attached it to the wagon, and spun it on the axle for us to see.

This one had a music-only soundtrack with a sharp chord when the tire bumped the curb, and a steady rhythm when the tire was rolling. The rhythm was sort of reprised during that final spin.