Muppet Listings 15.0

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks. Wasn't sure since he says "Matthew" at the beginning in the letter he's writting to Chancey Bellow, and then the credits list him as Matt. But at least now I can add all of that to the list when I get back home from college tonight.
Quick question on the animals from the Storyteller tales though.
Since they have a voice, the Storyteller's, should The Magpie, Salmon and Wolf from The Heartless Giant be added?
Similarly, should the Three Ravens be added?
Because they don't have a voice of their own, should the Duck from The Heartless Giant be added?
Similarly, should the Badger, Bird and Squirrel from Sapsorrow be added?

MuppetDude

Reaction score
I'll do the best I can:

The Storyteller: The Heartless Giant
(NOTE: The clothing style is a bit like like medieval wear, and European clothes.)
The Queen--I can't remember. I think she had long black (or brown) hair
Prince Leo--a 12-year old boy with black page-boy haircut and long nose
Prince Leo's Brother #1--has long black hair
Prince Leo's Brother #2--has long blondish-brown hair
The Heartless Giant--a longfaced costumed character, with short dark orange hair, moustache, and beard. Compared to Leo, he's roughly the size of a Gorg. He wore a baggy whitish shirt, brown vest and pants, and pointed shoes.
The Guard--I can't remember.

Lighthouse Island
Zeb Norman--a young man with black hair, blue eyes, red jacket, dark grey pants, and white sneakers.
Rosalie--a blond-haired woman with blue eyes, blue/white sweater, and sliver tail.
Clara Buford--a curly-gray-haired woman wearing a lavendarish dress and straw hat.
Fred--Jerry Nelson dressed as a scraggly-long-haired bum.
The Fortune Teller--I think she had long brown hair, and a wide-brimmed hat.
Sam, Jack, Carl Simms--I can't remember.

Monster Maker
Matt Banting--a teenager with black hair, brown eyes, and (ahem) big ears.
Alfie, Matthew's Dad--a blue-eyed man with short gray hair and beard. He has a sort of a "bug-eyed" expression sometimes, especially when he's threatening Chancey.
Jan, Matthew's Mom--has long black hair
Matthew's Teacher--has short brown/blond hair (I think)
Chancey Bellow--a middle-aged man with slightly thinning, longish grey hair
Periwinkle, Chancey Bellow's Wife--has slightly curly red hair.
Ben, Reg, Vaughn--I can't remember.

The Storyteller: The Soldier and Death
(NOTE: I'm not sure how to describe the clothing style.)
The Soldier--has brown hair, moustache, and beard.
The Old Soldier--If this is the same as the Soldier, then I'm not sure if he should be listed (since it's the same actor playing him).
The Drumming Beggar--I can't remember.
The Fiddling Beggar--I think he had scraggly long brown hair, moustache, beard, and a big smile.
The Soldier's Wife--I can't remember.
The Soldier's Son--had a blond page-boy haircut.
The Landlord--I can't remember.
The Devils--small, wiry devils (about the size of Prairie Dawn) with smirks on each of their faces, and a tuft of short hair on their heads.
Death--a blue-eyed creature with pale-colored skin. He looks a bit like a human, but not quite.
Should the Czar be added?--Probably, but I don't know what he looks like.

The Storyteller: The True Bride
Anya, the True Bride--a young woman with very light-colored hair.
The Prince--had brown hair tied in a pigtail, and sideburns.
The Troll--a hideous creature with a very long face. He has black hair, with a small pigtail at the top. His nose and mouth is at the end of his long face, and he has a ring through his nose. He also has two lower fangs sticking out of his mouth.
The Trollop, the Troll's Daughter--basically looks like the Troll without the ring, and with curly black hair.
There were a few "Prisoners" in the Trollip's castle who shouted out as to how Anya's cries could go unheard of. Should these be added to the list?
If so, please provide descripts if possible, and the human actors' names.
--I can't remember.
And I think the White Lion should stay being called the White Lion.

The Storyteller: Sapsorrow
The King, The Crier, The King's Men--I can't remember.
Sapsorrow--has long, black hair. When Scraggletag, she had lots of hairy black fur, from head to toe.
For the stepsisters, I don't remember which is which, so forgive me if I get them mixed up.
Sapsorrow's Bad Sister #1--a large woman with black hair.
Sapsorrow's Bad Sister #2--has blondish hair and a long nose.
Straggletag, Sapsorrow's alternate identity when working for the Prince.
Should a separate entry for Straggletag be added or not?
--Maybe you could list her as "Sapsorrow/Scraggletag".
The Prince--has semi-curly brown hair with sideburns.

Living with Dinosaurs
Dominick "Dom" Marshall--has blue eyes and blackish-brown hair.
Lee, Dom's Father--I think he had slightly thinning, short brown hair.
Vicki, Dom's Mother--a red-haired (or brown-haired) woman with slightly crossed eyes.
Adrian, Dom's Uncle--I can't remember.
Victor, Dom's Cousin--a boy slightly bigger than Dom, with black hair.
Dom's School Teacher--has long brownish hair.
Keith--If this was Dom's friend, then he is an African-American boy with short hair.
Dog the Dinosaur--a green dinosaur with a red mouth (and often bearing an upper row of teeth). He has white oval eyes with large black pupils, and moving brows. He has purple and yellow spots on his arms and back, and purple scales down his back. He also has a yellow stomach.

The Storyteller: The Three Ravens
The King--I think he had brown hair, moustache, and beard.
The Witch--has black hair, a sinister smile, and blue eyes.
The Princess--had blondish-brown hair.
Prince #1, Prince #2, Prince #3--all three had page-boy haircuts. Two had brown hair, and the oldest one had black hair.
The Three Ravens--probably shouldn't be counted since although they are different forms of the Princes, they are still the Princes.
The Prince--I can't remember.
2nd King--I can't remember.
The Three Baby Princes--I don't remember.

2 The Heartless Giant: The Magpie, The Salmon, and The Wolf.
Need descripts of these and whether they should be added to the list.
My point is that since they talked, thanks to the Storyteller's own narration, they should.

I agree. As for the other animals, they might be labeled as "Sapsorrow's Animal Friends".

3 Muppet_dk mentions a polar bear puppet present in Lighthouse Island.
Should this character be counted?
--Maybe, maybe not. It didn't really have much of a role, but then again, how often does a polar bear appear near a lighthouse landscape?

The Secrets of the Muppets
Bamboo--you do know that this is the dog that played Jo-Jo, right? Would characters like that be counted on the list?

Also, what Muppets figures in your opinion would serve best for customs of the Solid Foam?--I'd love to see Digit, Flash, and Beard in figure form.

5 What differences in terms of description are there between the Story of the Hat-Sharpening King's King and the Hypocritic Oaf from its appearance on the Cosby Show? And are there similarly-differentiating differences between the Sandwich voiced by Jim Henson in the Secrets of the Muppets and the Disagreeable Sausage Sandwich from its appearance on the Cosby Show?--As it turns out, the Cosby Show episode was filmed at the same time as JHH (it wasn't until after his death that the episode would be dedicated to him).
--The Hypocritic Oaf and Hat-Sharpening King are the same puppet, but with different costumes.
--I see the Sandwich as more of a prop on JHH than as a character on the Cosby Show.

PS: Ringo the Dog probably shouldn't be on the list because it is the name of the real dog that played Pilgrim in long shots of KSY.

I hope that any or all of this has been very helpful for your list.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Come on, do you need to ask? Course it has and always will be a help for the list, every little bit helps.
Regarding Jojo and Bamboo... Yes, I know that Bamboo was the dog used for Jojo in long-shots, at least when in the US. Reason I was asking about it is precisely cause I have Ringo from KSY who was used in long-shots for Pilgrim on the list. Thought that it should be included cause it was necessary for the character they were subbing for in the long-shots, and thus the character was in that shot of the filming of the show/special. Then again, I'm not sure if this explains it quite right.
As for the three ravens, I can see that you'd think they're the alternate identities of the Princes, and for that matter the same with Sapsorrow and Scraggletag. However, I do have superhero versions of certain characters counted on the list because in superhero lore the character's secret identity and superhero persona count as two distinct characters. Will wait for you to weigh in with some thoughts before deciding what to do with these entries.
Also, would it be best to label the polar bear as "The Polar Bear (JHH, from Lighthouse Island)"?
And if someone were to customize figures of the Solid Foam, what already-existing Muppet figures would serve as good bases for each member? Or would they have to be sculpted from scratch?
Hope to hear from you soon, and have a good day/night.

A.Leal

Reaction score
Bless my soul. Excellent work, The Count and everyone else. What a fascinating thread.

A couple nitpicks/corrections if you don't mind, though. The live action boy in The Muppet Christmas Carol (played by Fergus Brazier) was referred to by Scrooge as "Edmund," not Edbert. Also, there's a few mistakes in the "Don't Eat the Pictures" characters listed. The museum guard was played by Paul Dooley (slightly stocky/portly, weary looking), not James Mason. Mason was one of the two Egyptian characters which Big Bird, Snuffy, and the prince encounter. *Probably* Osiris, but I'd need to check the VHS (which I'm rooting through my shelves to find) in order to confirm. And Fritz Weaver was not the prince (rather, a royal rules bearer or something of the sort). The prince was played by a child actor (Weaver's been a veteran of stage and film since the 50s or so). I'll try to find my video copy and supply a more accurate and detailed actors' list later on.

Still, excellent work from you, MuppetDude, and the rest. Certainly hope this takes book form at some point (would be a most excellent reference work).

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you. Certainly looking forward to whatever you could contribute A.Leal.
Oh, and as for the project taking book form... That's one of my goals for after I finish my studies at my university's Law School.
But for now the list's the main thing.

A.Leal

Reaction score
Bah. Thorough searching of my shelves failed to locate Don't Eat the Pictures. I suspect I must have sent it to one of my nieces or nephews at one point.

At any rate, though, I can confirm that it was definitely Paul Dooley as the museum guard. The earlier post on Don't Eat The Pictures seemed to be taking the order of the actors' names, listed as guest stars, as corresponding to order of appearance or to the characters you listed (as a TV special, there was no closing cast list matching actor with character, but I'm very familiar with the work of all three guests). A bit of searching did turn up the name of the young actor who played Prince Sahu: Aram Chowdhury. This info came, rather sadly, from a Newsday obituary, March 2004, reporting his death in a car accident at the age of 18 (apparently his mother can't bear to watch Don't Eat The Pictures, due to the theme of the boy going to eternity).

I think James Mason must have been Osiris (I recall him as mostly being a disembodied, questioning head), but can't recall the identification of Fritz Weaver's character. I don't think he had an actual name, but a title of some sort ("Ancient High Questioner," or something, but I'm not at all certain; dash, I knew I should have written it down at the time).

MuppetDude

Reaction score
The Count said:
Come on, do you need to ask? Course it has and always will be a help for the list, every little bit helps.
Regarding Jojo and Bamboo... Yes, I know that Bamboo was the dog used for Jojo in long-shots, at least when in the US. Reason I was asking about it is precisely cause I have Ringo from KSY who was used in long-shots for Pilgrim on the list. Thought that it should be included cause it was necessary for the character they were subbing for in the long-shots, and thus the character was in that shot of the filming of the show/special. Then again, I'm not sure if this explains it quite right.

As for the three ravens, I can see that you'd think they're the alternate identities of the Princes, and for that matter the same with Sapsorrow and Scraggletag. However, I do have superhero versions of certain characters counted on the list because in superhero lore the character's secret identity and superhero persona count as two distinct characters. Will wait for you to weigh in with some thoughts before deciding what to do with these entries.
Also, would it be best to label the polar bear as "The Polar Bear (JHH, from Lighthouse Island)"?

And if someone were to customize figures of the Solid Foam, what already-existing Muppet figures would serve as good bases for each member? Or would they have to be sculpted from scratch?
I can see why you were wanting to keep Bamboo on the list, but I think Ringo should be removed since the dog (whether real or a puppet) was always supposed to be the character Pilgrim. It's like Foo-Foo; sometimes he (or she?) was a puppet, and sometimes he wasn't.

As for the "Superhero" guise, that's a good argument. Maybe you can label her as:

Scraggletag (JHH, Sapsorrow from The True Bride, [actress's name])

I'd include the Polar Bear.

As for the figures, I think they should start from scratch (including Clifford; his head and hair was a bit differently shaped than the one used today, since that was the first version of him). Althouhg I think that they can use Johnny Fiama's legs for Digits (and it looks as if they're using it for the Guy Smiley figure as well).

And welcome to the list, A.Leal. We could always use some new info on characters. Thanks! :smile:

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
OK, I'll make some changes when I get back home later today.
Few points to address.
1 Ringo and Bamboo will be left off the list, though not completely sure since we're striving for accuracy and completeness. It's up to how many I end up with after all the current additions.
2 The polar bear will be added.
3 Scraggletag will be added. However, it'll be added this way: "Sapsorrow: Scraggletag (JHH, The Storyteller, *Actress's Name*)".
Reason is two-fold... one is to maintain consistency since that's how I have all the characters from SS stories, and the other is cause I tried adding the characters from The Heartless Giant as (JHH, The Storyteller: The Heartless Giant, *Actor/Actress Name*) and the spacing with the font I use ended up taking two lines instead of only one.
4 As for the figures, it's not like my customizer crew will get to them anytime soon. The thing is I thought that maybe Lips could be used for Beard, a combination of Bunsen's head and Dr. Teeth's body for Digit, maybe Janice for the Female Drummer, and probably Zoot for Flash. But that's something for another day.

Like I said, will make the changes/additions when I get back home. Who knows, if I finish with JHH today, might be able to move on to the extra SS clips I got from our deal MuppetDude.
Anyway, hope this helps and hope you guys have a good day.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey guys, thought you deserved an update. Added everything from The Heartless Giant, Lighthouse Island, Miss Piggy's Hollywood, Monster Maker, The Song of the Cloud Forest, and the True Bride. So, along with Dog City that's 7 episodes fully completed for both the main list and character guide I'm making for a friend.

However, few questions about The True Bride.
Unsure as to how the True Bride's name is spelled. In listening to it, it sounds like "Anya" though the credits list her as "Anja". So which of the two is correct?
The credits at imdb.com list a character known as "Passerby" portrayed by Diana Payon. Who is this and where in the story does she appear?
From what I denoted of the characters from the story, there are two still missing. There's a point in the story where Anya comes to the village of the Trollop and two persons, a man and then a woman, tell her about what the Trollop is like. How would it be best to add these to the list? And who are the actors that portrayed them?
Oh, BTW: Prisoner 3 is played by Sam Howard.
Hope to hear from you guys soon and have a good day.

MuppetDude

Reaction score
The Count said:
However, few questions about The True Bride.
Unsure as to how the True Bride's name is spelled. In listening to it, it sounds like "Anya" though the credits list her as "Anja". So which of the two is correct?
The credits at imdb.com list a character known as "Passerby" portrayed by Diana Payon. Who is this and where in the story does she appear?
From what I denoted of the characters from the story, there are two still missing. There's a point in the story where Anya comes to the village of the Trollop and two persons, a man and then a woman, tell her about what the Trollop is like. How would it be best to add these to the list? And who are the actors that portrayed them?
Oh, BTW: Prisoner 3 is played by Sam Howard.
Hope to hear from you guys soon and have a good day.
The credits spell it as "Anya".

I don't know who the passerby is, and I'm not sure about the two people.

I'm glad that the Storyteller and JHH info is almost finished so we can move onto other characters. It feels like we've been doing this for a month!