Clifford and the Electric Mayhem

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Clifford is a pretty good character. I don't think too many people warmed up to him when he became the host of Muppets Tonight. But he was missed in the christmas movie back in 2002.

ryan

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I admit that I didn't like Clifford as the host of MT!, but after watching the entire series on VHS I like him...better with the shades ON, of course. He's a hep cat, and I like his whole Ziggy Marley look (not the suit on MT!). I DO think he would fit in well with the EM Band, and hope to see more of that. Kevin Clash is an awesome performer (and I like his first name), and I think brings alot in the form of Clifford to the whole gang. He also has taken over some other roles in past Muppet productions of classic characters.

And I also agree that Brian Henson is overly underrated--he's a great performer as well! I LOOOVVE Sal Manilla!

BEAR

Reaction score
Have you all noticed that lately Sam Eagle has been pushed in front becoming more of a primary role? Since after the first 3 movies, he is a lead part. interesting and cool.

Also...what is up with Lips?? The only time I ever remember him with the band (or at all!) was in The Great Muppet Caper. Why was he there? If he is not a real member of the band or not, its strange.

HeartlessGiant

Reaction score
Don't fear change, you'll miss the good stuff too.

Clifford is funny indeed, but nowhere as good as Floyd.

I think had he been introduced around the same time, he'd be just as big a character. (granted that's 30 years ago, but....well....you know what i mean)

Personally, Floyd is one of my favorites. I just love his attitude. He and Dr. Teeth are the "main attraction" of The Electric Mayhem (for me). Then again Zoot's the man. Oh, and ya gotta love Animal. And Janice, i mean, fer sure! Yeah. The whole band's great.

But i do feel obligated to stand up for Clifford. Like i said, i think it's just the fact that he's a newbie that makes people shy away from him.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
BEAR said:
Have you all noticed that lately Sam Eagle has been pushed in front becoming more of a primary role? Since after the first 3 movies, he is a lead part. interesting and cool.

Also...what is up with Lips?? The only time I ever remember him with the band (or at all!) was in The Great Muppet Caper. Why was he there? If he is not a real member of the band or not, its strange.
I think Lips was last season on TMS, and was there I suppose to give Steve a place in the band. I think Lips is cool, and I love Clifford. I agree, those folks who call themselves "purists" would have liked Clifford and Lips if they started out on the first season of TMS.

I call myself a Purist, but I accept and acknowledge that these characters were there when Jim was still around, and so they fit into the Muppet family to ME because of that. Will I like any new characters? I dunno. There's still some old characters (Muppets Tonight, Jim Henson Hour) that I didn't like at all.

MrsPepper

Reaction score
I don't know, Clifford's pretty groovy, in a different way than the Mayhem are. I don't really consider him a main member of the band, more of a guest singer.

About the whole Clifford vs Floyd backstage jokes etc, I am more of a Floyd fan presonally :sing:, but Clifford's a coot cat. It's just sad to think anyone would be replaced. I don't think Floyd got replaced, just things have to be changed up every once in awhile to stay fresh.

And Lips rules. He's probably off running other gigs and they call him on commission or something. :big_grin:

That Announcer

Reaction score
I do not call myself a purist in any way. I think Pepe might have been the highlight of MWoO. I think Lips should be with the EM. I think Bill Barretta is an extremely talented, hilarious performer. I do not think Jim is the greatest performer the Muppets will ever see. I hate all of Frank's characters, except Sam (who is my favorite.) But I despise Clifford. If you wanted an extra musician to put in the EM, go with Rowlf. Or Fozzie (he plays piano, doncha know.) Or stick with the five. Clifford does not belong in the EM. He's out of place, and to that extent, a completely different style of personality than the First Six (including Lips) who I presume are all Chronically Groovy.

BEAR

Reaction score
Why do you hate Frank's characters so much?

That Announcer

Reaction score
I have nothing against Frank personally. I think that he is an extremely talented puppeteer, and a very funny man when you listen to him in person. However, there are a number of things that get on my nerves about his characters. Sam I love. Animal I don't care about. Fozzie is OK, and I hate Piggy, mainly because of her extremely annoying voice and her constant use of "moi." I love Frank, but his characters are in no way my favorites. RICHARD, on the other hand, I cannot fault for anything he ever did. The same goes for Jerry and the same for Brian.

BEAR

Reaction score
Is it just me, or does Jeffory Tambor remind any of you of Frank Oz??