• I am no longer buying the set

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I haven't decided yet

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I'm still buying the set

Votes: 100 87.7%

• Total voters
Reaction score
The Muppet show isn't out here yet, I was hoping to get it for my dad for fathers day. :frown: (I'm in Australia). Anybody know the release date of it here?

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
My dad accidentally double bought, so I was thrilled to get my very own free copy :wink:

I wasn't around in '76, so most of the episodes I wasn't familiar with, and can't miss what I never saw (in regards to the edits). Although I have seen some clips on Muppet specials here and there (such as "Wind Up Kermit" and the "Woozbanian Mating Ritual"). What I had seen I saw when Nick Jr. aired the reruns.

Overall, it was a good time. I got a lot of laughs out of it. I did notice a lot of mistakes (such as seeing a puppeteer's face or hand) and inconsistencies (why did Piggy's voice keep changing, sometimes in the same show?). I'm excited as Season 2 can't come fast enough for me. I can't wait for Dudley Moore (one of my favorite episodes), Star Wars, and all those other goodies :smile:

KCJ506

Reaction score
bazooka_beak said:
Overall, it was a good time. I got a lot of laughs out of it. I did notice a lot of mistakes (such as seeing a puppeteer's face or hand) and inconsistencies (why did Piggy's voice keep changing, sometimes in the same show?). I'm excited as Season 2 can't come fast enough for me. I can't wait for Dudley Moore (one of my favorite episodes), Star Wars, and all those other goodies :smile:
Piggy's voice would change because both Frank Oz & Richard Hunt performed her in the first season.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I got the DVD yesterday, so I thought I'd comment here. Actually, so far I've only seen the first two episodes and the first ep I already had through Timelife. The difference with the DVD version was that included the original opening and Muppet morsels.

About Piggy being performed by Richard and Frank, I've noticed Frank's Piggy sounded quite soft at times and I could hardly hear what she was saying. Most notably in the promo for the Phylis Diller ep. It seems like when Frank started with Piggy he wasn't quite comfortable with the character which might have been why Richard performed her at times.

I really enjoyed the Connie Stevens ep, especially Bert and Ernie.

I also liked the pitch reel. Though I was hoping Kermit would be in it. I know that they cut out when he said "He//," but I didn't think they'd cut out the whole scene with Kermit.

I'll write more after I've seen more of the episodes.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
KCJ506 said:
Piggy's voice would change because both Frank Oz & Richard Hunt performed her in the first season.
Even though they alternated in the first season, often throughout an episode, there are quite a few scenes in the first season where frank Oz voices Miss Piggy even though other Frank Oz characters speak in the same scene (and in the same take, so it's not like the filming was stopped and then a close-up was shot, allowing frank oz to switch characters).

At the end of the Jim Nabors episode, after Scooter says, "i'm shocked!", Fozzie says "i'm fozzie", miss piggy says "i'm piggy", and Animal says "i'm Animal", and Piggy is voiced by Frank Oz in this scene. Of course, Richard Hunt was performing Scooter, and one of them had to dub Miss Piggys voice.

In the u.k. spot from the Peter Ustinov episode, Miss Piggy led the song "somebody done sombody wrogn song", and Fozzie had a few solo lines. Both were voiced by Frank, but the voices in songs were always recorded before they were filmed, so I guess it didn't really matter who was performing Piggy.

During Fozzies joke in the opening of the Kaye Ballard episode, Miss Piggy reacts to the set-up of Fozzies joke, and both are performed by Frank Oz (I think Frank did the actual performing of Fozzie in that scene).

KCJ506

Reaction score
Despite the cuts I enjoyed the DVD. I can't wait for the other seasons to get released. I hope they will spaced in within 3 to 6 months of each other, and not 12 months. I don't wanna wait 4 years to get see the Chris Langham and Buddy Rich episodes.

KCJ506

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
Even though they alternated in the first season, often throughout an episode, there are quite a few scenes in the first season where frank Oz voices Miss Piggy even though other Frank Oz characters speak in the same scene (and in the same take, so it's not like the filming was stopped and then a close-up was shot, allowing frank oz to switch characters).

At the end of the Jim Nabors episode, after Scooter says, "i'm shocked!", Fozzie says "i'm fozzie", miss piggy says "i'm piggy", and Animal says "i'm Animal", and Piggy is voiced by Frank Oz in this scene. Of course, Richard Hunt was performing Scooter, and one of them had to dub Miss Piggys voice.

In the u.k. spot from the Peter Ustinov episode, Miss Piggy led the song "somebody done sombody wrogn song", and Fozzie had a few solo lines. Both were voiced by Frank, but the voices in songs were always recorded before they were filmed, so I guess it didn't really matter who was performing Piggy.

During Fozzies joke in the opening of the Kaye Ballard episode, Miss Piggy reacts to the set-up of Fozzies joke, and both are performed by Frank Oz (I think Frank did the actual performing of Fozzie in that scene).
This also happened in the Fozzie's Muppet Scrapbook tape. After they show the phernargelly(sp?) act, Piggy appears and talks to Fozzie. Both of them were being voiced by Frank Oz.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Darn. I wish I hadn't read that. I was waiting to get to the last disk on my DVD to see for myself. Lol. It's alright though. It seems Frank performed Piggy in the first season whenever she did a karate chop. That was rare with Richard's Piggy. I've also noticed the scene at the end of the Jim Nabors ep that minor muppets mentioned. I didn't even think of the fact that Richard was performing Scooter, but that probably was why they had Frank perform Piggy in that scene. I'm looking forward to watching more and seeing which Piggy is Frank's and which is Richard's.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Since this thread hasn't been updated in a while..

I thought I'd add more here. Another difference I've noticed between Frank's and Richard's Piggys is the personality. I've noticed in the Florence Henderson episode, Piggy got upset in the conversation panel when they were talking about Shakespeare vs. Bacon. Richard's Piggy seems to know the meaning of Bacon relating to Shakespeare since she once asked her dance partner if he prefers Shakespeare to Bacon. Also, when Richard's Piggy was asked if she was in movies, she responded with "I hardly ever go." That's not something you'd her Frank's Piggy say. She'd probably say, "Yes, moi is a superstar." It's a bit strange. It seems like they're two different pigs who just happen to look alike. I just thought I'd comment on that.

MikeWatt

Reaction score
Took 'em a while to post it, but here's my Film Threat interview - http://www.filmthreat.com/Reviews.asp?Id=7898 . I have to call the Henson co. today about something special I'm working on as well for another magazine. If it comes through, I'll keep everyone posted (whoever might be interested). :crazy:

Mike Watt