Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I'm still buying the set

Votes: 100 87.7%

• Total voters

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
With The Muppet Show Season 1 set to release next Tuesday August 9, here is our review of the release. From the original openings to the cut scenes to the pitch reel, find out all the details of this box set. Post here and let us know what you think about the box set.

http://www.muppetcentral.com/articles/reviews/dvd/tms_season_1.shtml

If you have any questions that aren't answered here, let us know and we'll try to help.

Traveling Matt

Reaction score
Sorry, these edits are unacceptable. I'm not buying the set, period.

KCJ506

Reaction score
NOOOO!! Why Disney? Why? Time-Life can release uncut versions. Why can't they?

I've been looking forward to this for months now and they ruin it for me. How could they take out "You've Got A Friend In Me?" That's the best part of the Vincent Price episode.

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
Finished reading the review of TMS dvd S1,not very happy.I am happy to see that the original shows will be released,but to cut out those certain songs,does not make me happy.They were a great and memorable part of those episodes;however,at least I remember them & just accept the results.I'll still by the set & enjoy what is left. *sigh*:smirk:

That Announcer

Reaction score
I've realized what I can compare the TMS controversy to: the Live Aid controversy. When Live Aid was released on DVD there a while back, some footage had been lost; some was of such poor quality that it was unreleasable even if restoration was done; some footage suffered from problems on the day of taping (a generator infamously exploded during the Who's performance). So, all the missing or "bad" footage was left out of the set. However, there were about ten hours of existing performances, plus bonus features, plus a 45-minute documentary that was on the set. Fans of Live Aid were outraged, saying that the entire concert should have been released. The reason all of that was left out was because it couldn't be included.

The same thing is going on with this set. The five songs are out of the set because the rights are so prohibitive that they just can't be released. The same thing happened with the Ed Sullivan disc a few years back.

Now look: Muppet fans have been waiting for season sets of TMS since the first DVD was released. Now, don't let the omission of five songs (probably totalling up to about twenty-five minutes of footage) ruin the experience of seeing the first season of TMS in beautiful picture quality and wonderful sound, with great bonus features and packaging for you. It just shouldn't happen. Buy the set, and revel in what is there. Don't focus on what has been left out.

hehehe

Reaction score
Amen, ThatAnnouncer! This is the First and possibly only time that Season 1 will be released, people! With origional openings, no less! Only five songs omitted people. That is pretty dang good considering that tere's 24 episodes! :smile: I am getting this first day, people!

That Announcer

Reaction score
hehehe said:
Amen, ThatAnnouncer! This is the First and possibly only time that Season 1 will be released, people! With origional openings, no less! Only five songs omitted people. That is pretty dang good considering that tere's 24 episodes! :smile: I am getting this first day, people!
Glad to see someone agrees with me. It just seems awfully dumb to give up enjoying the entire first season of TMS because five songs aren't there.

And a warning to you: Disney and most other film companies use your reactions to DVDs to judge if they should release more. So, if a revolution is staged, and the first season of TMS doesn't sell all that well, it's possible more won't be released.

And I too will be buying it the first day and going straight home after I get it. I'll be picking up MWoO at the same time.

MWoO

Reaction score
I've got all 24 episodes off the net so there is no reason for me to spend the money to buy edited episodes. I just do not like these edits. i mean it's disney. They can't work something outto get the rights? And how many others songs are going to be cut in the next box set and the next?

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
I'm not complaining about what was left out,at least I got to see them,that's what counts in my memory bank.:smile:

rexcrk

Reaction score
So what happened to the Jim Henson retrospective that I had heard about early on? I was looking forward to that :frown:

I've got this set pre-ordered and I can't wait until it gets here!

I'm not happy about all the edits though, but I guess I'll be able to deal with it (considering I've probably never seen most, if not all of these episodes).