1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Your Thoughts: TMS Season 1 DVD

Discussion in 'Muppet Merchandise' started by Phillip, Aug 6, 2005.

?

Because there are scenes edited from The Muppet Show DVDs:

1. I am no longer buying the set

6 vote(s)
    5.3%
  2. I haven't decided yet

8 vote(s)
    7.0%
  3. I'm still buying the set

100 vote(s)
    87.7%

1. KCJ506

KCJ506 New Member

I now understand about them not getting the rights to the songs, but why would they cut out the Muppet Newflashes from the Joel Grey episode?
  2. Xela

Xela New Member

You can never make everyone completely happy... :smirk:

Well, I plan to buy it anyways. As soon as I get money to buy it. Or perhaps my birthday; that's coming up soon.
  3. MrsPepper

MrsPepper Active Member

I don't know about you guys, but even with the changes, I am still counting down the days. 3 more...
  4. jetjaguar15

jetjaguar15 New Member

I like Deep Discount DVD. I got my copy in the mail today.

Haven't been able to watch it yet, though.
  5. David French

David French Member

I can understand the arguments in both camps - on the one hand it is disappointing that cuts have been made, but on the other I understand why the cuts have been made.

I sympathise completely with those in the first camp - when TV 3 in NZ (owned by CanWest) played re-runs in the 1990's, they made horrendous cuts to all 120 episodes eg the Rita Moreno episode - Rita's first number was shown but then the first backstage scene, the Vets Hospital sketch and the second backstage scene were cut out completely, with the next scene being the Newsflash.

The comment "Some music rights are not available at any price. You may have Bill Gates' bank balance behind you, but if the rights holder refuses to grant you a licence, there's nothing you can do." is, I feel, slightly misleading. There will always be things available for use, it's just that sometimes the "studio" that releases the DVDs feels that it's too expensive for them to purchase the rights to use a song, even if it's only a 10-second sound bite.

A good example comes from the BBC's Doctor Who DVD range; a Fleetwood Mac song could be heard in the background from an episode transmitted in 1970. Unfortunately, the BBC felt that it was too expensive to pay the copyright holders the necessary sum to use that song, so it was removed from the DVD release.

At this moment in time I'm not really sure whether I'll buy this release when it's available R4; considering I used to gnash my teeth when TV 3 showed "butchered" episodes, I may ignore this release...but don't quote me on that.
  6. Ernie101

Ernie101 Active Member

So glad to see that someone feels the same way as me. I have never seen but like one of these episodes, so to me this is like opening up a whole new world. I have no dissapointment because I have never seen the cut lines. I do however see how fans who have seen all of the episodes in their entirety are upset. I can barely wait..and this is such a great chance for me to see all of these episodes..I am so excited.
  7. KCJ506

KCJ506 New Member

If I remember correctly when Nickelodeon aired the Rita Moreno episode they showed Fever as the opening number. The French cafe skit wasn't shown at all.

I also remember the "Act Naturally" song being shown in one episode. It was NOT the Victor Borge episode.

After thinking about I've decided that I'll buy it anyway. You guys are right. Five songs aren't a big deal. It just that two of those songs happen to be my favorite parts of the episode.

I'm still hoping for an uncut version in the future.
  8. G-MAN

G-MAN Active Member

I understand about the rights thing for four of the songs, but I don't understand about the Danceros thing, from what Muppet Central's episode guide said it was just a creature getting his legs tangled up. Did he'she'it sing a song or something? (i've never seen the Jim Nabors or Charles Aznavour episodes before so I'm just confused.).
  9. anathema

anathema Active Member

Unfortunately, that's not true: a rights holder is under no obligation to licence their property if they don't want to.

And a better example from the same range is in "Remembrance of the Daleks": a Beatles song is playing in the background in a couple of scenes - the rights holder refused to clear these at all so they had to be replaced. This was not a case of the BBC not feeling it to be affordable.
  10. anathema

anathema Active Member

Yeah, but the creature is dancing to music. Presumably the music couldn't be cleared.
  11. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

In the case of instrumental songs, couldn't they replace the music if they couldn't use it? I am not sure whether Disney has access to copies of the show that were made before the music was added so I don't know if just replacing music would be easy for instrumental songs that have dialog during the scenes.
  12. rumtar_10165

rumtar_10165 New Member

Muppets cut??

:( :cry: NOOOOO why would these great bits be cut in the first place.
    When I watched the original airings I enjoyed watching thsese muppet bits.
    now Just when I thought that it was coming out I find some bits missing.
    Jim Neibors loosing his pants (pluss the background, and the muppet laddie) while singing Gone With the wind. ectra.
    But I will buy the dvd 'cause it is the muppets.
  13. anathema

anathema Active Member

It's an interesting question.

In the case of 'Danceros', I suspect it wouldn't have been practical, since the creature is more-or-less tap-dancing to the music. Any replacement would have to follow the same rhythm.

Regarding 'clean' copies...I'm not sure what they have, but there were a brand-new set of Gaelic dubs done for an Irish broadcaster around five years ago. I've seen a couple of these, and they're rather neatly done: the guest star's voice is original, but all the Muppets are dubbed. I haven't listened too closely, but it does sound as if the dubbing holds up even when guest and Muppets are speaking at the same time, which tends to suggest that 'clean' sound may exist.

The new voices are actually rather good: Kermit and Gonzo sound particularly accurate, although it's definitely an odd experience watching the show when you're used to the originals!
  14. Kimp the Shrimp

Kimp the Shrimp Active Member

Here is the Review from the Boston Globe

''THE MUPPET SHOW": SEASON ONE(1976-'77)

It's both amazing and a shame that the Muppets, with so much character to go around, aren't a more relevant presence in today's pop cultural landscape. Lackluster TV revivals, sporadic DVD releases -- to paraphrase an old Kermit lament, it's not easy being evergreen. This overdue, more comprehensive set from new distributor Disney sets things right a bit. Ultimately, though, this is just a teaser for later seasons, as the show still feels surprisingly formative at this point -- even Miss Piggy isn't her true, fabulous self in initial episodes.

Extras: Jim Henson's original pitch reel and pilot; on-screen trivia feature. (Buena Vista, $39.99)
  15. Sean Gaffney

Sean Gaffney New Member

The songs that were cut, with writer credits (this does not mean the writers own the songs, of course):

Wayne and Wanda:
    Stormy Weather
    Words and Music by Harold Arlen
    Recorded by many, many people, including Cab Calloway and Ella Fitzgerald

Jim Nabors #1:
    Gone With The Wind
    written by Herb Magidson and Allie Wrubel
    Recorded by Horace Heidt (#1 in 1937)

for the Danceros number:
    Bye-Bye Blues
    Words & Music by Fred Hamm, Dave Bennett, Bert Lown & Chauncey Gray
    Recorded by Bessie Smith, 1924

The Paul Williams opening number:
    All of Me
    Words & Music by Seymour Simons & Gerald Marks
    Recorded by Frank Sinatra, 1952; also recorded by Willie Nelson

Charles Aznavour #1:
    The Old-Fashioned Way
    Written by Charles Aznavour
    Recorded by Charles Aznavour

Vincent Price final number:
    You've Got a Friend
    Written by Carole King
    Recorded by almost everyone in the entire world, including James Taylor

There you go. :)
  16. MuppetDanny

MuppetDanny Well-Known Member

That makes two of us
  17. Erine81981

Erine81981 Active Member

So are there replacements for the seagments that are cut? I was wondering if they just start it off like any other Muppet Show or did they replace the skits that are cut with US versions or something.
  18. muppet_dk

muppet_dk Active Member

No theres no replacements of the cut songs..the episodes are just not as long as the others. The cut episodes are about 21-23 minutes long while a full episode is about 25-26 minutes long
  19. rexcrk

rexcrk Active Member

Does anyone know why they didn't include the Jim Henson Retrospective? I was looking forward to that one.
  20. That Announcer

That Announcer New Member

In a word: space. According to Greg over at the Muppet News Flash, there was very little space left on the discs, so the retrospective was cut. It may be on the second season, so watch for it! :)