Name questions

Censored

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
The Elmo puppet was first created in either season 2 or 3, where he was called baby Monster and was performed by Carroll Spinney. Eventually, baby Monster stopped making appearances for many years. Then, in 1979, somebody had an idea for a character named elmo, and decided to just reuse the baby monster puppet instead of designing a new one.

Interesting. I don't remember the Elmo muppet appearing as early as season two or three, but there was another furry little red monster who was a different muppet than Elmo in shape and appearance. I don't remember his name, but he was usually childlike.

At some point in the early 80's, the Elmo muppet did not seem childlike at all, but had a very deep voice and appeared as a generic monster in many skits.

That's why I'm a little surprised about the news that he started out as a baby in the early seasons. Do you remember what these skits were and are you sure it wasn't the other furry red muppet?

mikebennidict

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
The Elmo puppet was first created in either season 2 or 3, where he was called baby Monster and was performed by Carroll Spinney. Eventually, baby Monster stopped making appearances for many years. Then, in 1979, somebody had an idea for a character named elmo, and decided to just reuse the baby monster puppet instead of designing a new one.

Originally, Elmo was performed by Brian Meehle, who also originally performed telly. After brian meehle left to become a writer, Richard Hunt performed Elmo, but Richard didn't feel comfortable with performing Elmo, so he asked newcomer kevin Clash to take over the character.

I wonder what would have happened if none of brian meehles characters were given new performers? i wonder what would have happened if Richard Hunt continued to perform Elmo up untill his death.
are you sure he was on that early? I'm 32 and don't recall seeing him till the early 80s and I recall it being mid 80s when he got an idenity.

Thijs

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Elmo was around in the early eighties. But I have my doubts about Elmo being around in the early seventies. I know a character named "baby monster", but he looks totally different, and is from the sixties.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
mikebennidict said:
are you sure he was on that early? I'm 32 and don't recall seeing him till the early 80s and I recall it being mid 80s when he got an idenity.
I have read about Elmo being called Baby Monster in "the wisdom of big bird (and dark genious of oscar the grouch", which was written by carroll spinney. I have also read about the henson film festival that was held in new york last winter, where carroll spinney introduced Follow that Bird and answered questions from the audience. One of the questions was about Elmo, and that is where I heard he was from either the secodn or third season (and oddly enough, it was also where I first learned that carroll spinney performed him. I would think that he would have mentioned this in his autobiography, especially since he brought up the obscure fact that Elmo was originally baby Monster).

So you should be asking Caroll Spinney if he is sure, not me.

Thijs

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
So you should be asking Caroll Spinney if he is sure, not me.
Yeah, I have to give you credits for that. Interesting. I keep finding it weird that no one has ever seen him before 1979, but if Carol Spinney says so...

Censored

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:

Another thing I wonder about is the fact that the exact same muppet would be used after all of those years. I read that the muppets usually wear out after a few seasons and have to be replaced. Maybe if it wasn't used very much...?

One thing is certain, there was an early furry red monster in the early seasons who was childlike, but had a different look and shape than Elmo. So, if Elmo was around back then, it was in addition to this one. I wonder if Caroll Spinney meant that he was a prototype for Elmo or that he was altered later on. I don't doubt what you read, but something doesn't seem to be adding up. Anyway, it sounds like an interesting book and interview and I'd like to see both of them.