Captain Vegetable

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
Anyone remember this character?
He was basically a talking rabbit dressed up as a super hero promoting the eating of healthy vegetables by children.

I can recall two distinct appearances by him one where he sang a song about himself and his mission to two muppet boys and a street scene which I'm sure featured Big Bird and I'm not sure who else.

Do you remember these appearances and does anyone know about any more?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I don't recall seeing any of his appearances, but I do have his song on my "Jim Henson: A Sesame Street Celebration" CD.

ISNorden

Reaction score
Bill Bubble Guy said:
Anyone remember this character?
He was basically a talking rabbit dressed up as a super hero promoting the eating of healthy vegetables by children.

I can recall two distinct appearances by him one where he sang a song about himself and his mission to two muppet boys and a street scene which I'm sure featured Big Bird and I'm not sure who else.

Do you remember these appearances and does anyone know about any more?

His "mission to two Muppet boys" is the only appearance I remember; the Big Bird scene must have been in an episode I never caught. Captain Vegetable still went a bit too far, in my opinion: I can understand his condemning candy as unhealthful, but spaghetti?!? For Pete's sake, most people eat it with tomato sauce, which is more "vegetable" than ketchup; some sauce recipes even mix in other veggies. You'd think that CV would have congratulated Eddie, but no--the long-eared fanatic insists that real vegetables have to be crunchy. :grouchy:

Preachiness aside, Captain Vegetable does only a slightly better job at teaching nutrition than Baby Bear or Cookie Monster does. It's true that raw vegetables are more healthful than cookies or porridge, generally speaking--yet it's also true that human beings weren't meant to eat any single type of food exclusively. Maybe Sesame Workshop needs to add a human character as the show's main health teacher: monsters and animals may get away with OD'ing on a favorite food, but real people can't.

:sing: EVERYTHING's a sometimes food...:sing:

BooberFraggless

Reaction score
Captain Vegetable is most known for his famous skit introducing the 2 boys (Eddie who loved Spagetti and Andy who loved Candy) to Vegetables. He also made 2 on the street appearances during the show's 15th Season. When he appeared on the street, Richard Hunt performed him since Jim Henson was too busy and not available to appear in actual storylines at the time.

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
Can anybody please verify whether his street appearance was only a one-off or did he make a number of street segments?

Fuzzy and Blue

Reaction score
The one that rings a bell the most for me is the song he sings with Eddie and Andy, the one that goes something like, "Here am I, Captain Vegetable, with my carrot and my celery!" (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong...I haven't seen it in at least a decade and a half). I don't think i've ever seen him on any other segments, though.

~Dana~

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Bill Bubble Guy said:
Can anybody please verify whether his street appearance was only a one-off or did he make a number of street segments?
there was 1 or 2 I remember but can't remember them that well other than David was in 1 of them.

Sunrise

Reaction score
I never saw a street scene with CV, but I definitely remember the song, particularly the moment when either Andy or Eddie squeals out, "W-what are you, some kinda weirdo?" Captain Vegetable replies, "Do I look like a weirdo?" whereupon the kid silently but emphatically nods.

I always cracked up at that as a child.

Krazedmuppet

Reaction score
It is I... Captain Vegetable!
With my carrot, and my celery
eating crunchy vegetables is good for me
and there good for you
so eat them too
for teeth so strong
your whole life long
eat celery and carrots by the bunch!
three cheers for me Captain Vegetable
CRUNCH CRUNCH CRUNCH!!

I love that song! Jim did a good job playing him :smile:

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Yeah. I don't remember his street scenes, but I definately remember his song. About, the part with spaghetti. I guess they did that to make it rhyme better. I don't think they were implying that it wasn't healthy. Still, I agree that they could have come up with some better ideas there. Maybe they could have made an extended version with people who liked pies and cakes.