Sesame Street's 37th season begins August 14

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
I'm going to sound like an idiot but does anyone else who is on this forum live in los angeles? could you please tell me what time of the day Sesame Street comes on our local pbs station?

Drtooth

Reaction score
The Count said:
Hey Snowthmeiser... You told those guys that the whole Cookie Monster eating healthier is nothing more than empty hyped stupidity?
Heck, even in the big song that was to promote him eating healthier... "A Cookie Is A Sometime Food"...
He ended the song using some of that good ol' CM mentality.
Cookie: "You right, but you know what time it now? It some time!"
And then he devoured the cookie and the healthy foods.

Besides, Cookie Monster ate healthy enough in past seasons and still balanced it with being the Cookie Monster. Just empty hyped stupidity.

I still hold out hope that's the case. Parents shove french fries in their kid's mouths while they sit around playing grand theft auto (at 7 years of agee) then they start getting concerned when their kids grow up screwed up! But they blame SPongebob and Kelloggs to the point they actually filed lawsuits. Same parents that go Bonkers when they don't dumb down and tone down children's cartoon shows (especially a certain Japanese series about pirates which shall remain nameless), but let them keep Jerry Springer opposite Sesame Street.

Still, not much on this season, except for a new character (which probably won't stick... like the Mary monsters, Roxys, and Lulus of yore) and that nice bit about the adopted baby. SO no... uh.. interresting parodies or anything? We'll just have to wait and see.

maxdrive

Reaction score
season 37 seems to be looking great to me i felt seseme street didnt do to much socal issues like before. they even did rasisim in the past. and i have to say they did some good stuff about elmo feeling left out because of his age. I bet all little kids feel like that.

RyGuy

Reaction score
Sesame Street scences not realistic

One thing I observe in watching SS is the humans never act like "real people" They don't make mistakes, they don't wear outfits to match the weather. " Suppose the episode was centered around a hot day .The humans don't wear shorts or sleveless shirts " they don't interact with each other talking about "adult things" I don't mean Gordon and Bob discussing Iraq . I mean just something like "hey , Bob, you want to go to Hooper's for a coffee after I 'm done reading "The message here is grown-ups need time to themselves . Why hasn't this been done on SS? Why are the street scences so unreal ? I understand it's a show and a "set " but why don't ss humans act "real "?

SwedishChefCook

Reaction score
RyGuy said:
One thing I observe in watching SS is the humans never act like "real people" They don't make mistakes, they don't wear outfits to match the weather. " Suppose the episode was centered around a hot day .The humans don't wear shorts or sleveless shirts " they don't interact with each other talking about "adult things" I don't mean Gordon and Bob discussing Iraq . I mean just something like "hey , Bob, you want to go to Hooper's for a coffee after I 'm done reading "The message here is grown-ups need time to themselves . Why hasn't this been done on SS? Why are the street scences so unreal ? I understand it's a show and a "set " but why don't ss humans act "real "?
Actually, years ago in the 1970's and the 1980's the Humans did act real and often were seen interacting in an adult way. Even a little bit in the early part of the 90's they were like this, but since the show has been dumbed down and only focuses on the Muppets, the humans have been dumbed down as well. Sad but true.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
dinoboy said:
Hmmmmm, Gina adopting a baby, will it be a boy or a girl? Do you even think that she knows how to care for a baby?
What about all of those episodes from season 30 to 32 where Gina was seen baby-sitting her baby niece?

ISNorden

Reaction score
SwedishChefCook said:
Actually, years ago in the 1970's and the 1980's the Humans did act real and often were seen interacting in an adult way. Even a little bit in the early part of the 90's they were like this, but since the show has been dumbed down and only focuses on the Muppets, the humans have been dumbed down as well. Sad but true.
Bravo! What Sesame Street needs is more human characters who act as lifelike as PBS' standards allow on a children's show. Muppets will always have a legitimate place on the show, but flesh-and-blood people handle some serious topics more readily than puppets could. (Maria's marriage and pregnancy, Hooper's death, the main cast's adventures on an occasional trip...no Muppet could have done a human's job then, and no Muppet can deal with every problem that children face now.)

Am I saying this to bash the Muppets? Hardly; before Sesame Street was reworked for younger children, most Muppets were three-dimensional characters with lives beyond their obsessive gimmicks. Nowadays, the gimmicks seem to define every Muppet on Sesame Street, even the ones who have appeared there since the first few seasons. Cookie Monster is still a compulsive overeater, Baby Bear is still obsessed with porridge (and can't understand why his sister isn't), Zoe has become little more than Rocco's owner, and Rosita little more than an ethnic stereotype.

Were those characters always one-trick ponies? Hardly; but the show needs more believable, balanced characters. The way Sesame Street is heading now, that means more human residents.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I think Gordon and Alan casually converse with each other pretty often. They are seen playing Checkers from time to time, and seen to have a pretty good relationship going there.

I think what SS needs is to sprinkle that kind of thing around a little bit more then they have in recent years. I also think the risen for some of it has to do with the fact that the adults are seen a lot of the time working, and a Muppet is usually interrupting one of them or stopping in for a snack of something, so sense they all have lives, chances are they usually don't see much of each other, in less someone is on there lunch break or is checking on there mail, or need something repaired.

But I see what everyone is saying here.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
RyGuy said:
Well I don't know about acting real and who care's what they wear? Now maybe the other stuff you mentioned along with everyone else has some merit but clothes? Please!

Drtooth

Reaction score
I still object to the term "dumbing down"

I'd like to think of it as " Changing everything so it's acceptible for 1-3 year olds to watch since they have too much competition from worse shows on Nick Jr. because parents are too dang lazy to take care of their own kids."

I do agree the main character humans need to be out their just a bit more... but the humans they can really can are those annoying boring "talking to kids without celebrities, cast members or Muppets" type things. They bored me when I was 5, they bore me at age 24!

But I suppose, at least DIsney doesn't own them.