does sweating affect the puppet? like the glue

cause i was using my puppet and my hand was sweating so i stopped using him

D'Snowth

Reaction score
faze said:
This might be a weird question

does sweating affect the puppet? like the glue

cause i was using my puppet and my hand was sweating so i stopped using him
Actually it does. When I first built Steve, I used regular old cardboard for his mouth plate, and didn't cover the back of it (where the fingers would rest. Eventually, all of sweating my hand did cause that cardboard to start getting all soggy and shriveled up until it was so weak it actually starting to deteriorate. After that I replace the cardboard in his mouth to a much stronger and thicker cardboard and covered the back of it (where the fingers rest) with thick black felt. So far that has worked like a charm.

gfarkwort

Reaction score
........and thats why you don't use cardboard for mouths.....

Reaction score
Also careful that the fabric dyes from the puppet don't release on to your sweaty arms. Also, after a long, sweaty performance with your puppet, sue a fan or a blow-dryer on the cold setting to dry out the insides of the puppet so that they don't get clammy, moldy, or start to rot or deteriorate. In shows I've worked on, they had puppet storage racks set up with a fan ventilation system. Very cool!

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
You have to be careful what types of materials you use when building puppets. For example, I remember many years ago foolishly using one of those water-based Crayola markers to draw patterns on foam for a puppet. After using a puppet a few times the sweat from my hand caused the marker to bleed all over the puppet's face (it was white) ruining it.

One of the drawbacks of upholstry foam is that it seems to absorb much more sweat than other, more expensive kinds. I've heard of people ScotchGuarding the insides of puppets too, although I don't usually do that myself.

Jinx

Reaction score
I also know of several puppeteers who wear simple cotton gloves on their hands before putting on their puppets. It's a whole lot easier to throw a glove into the washing machine than most puppets!

DannyRWW

Reaction score
At Wal Mart/target/k-mart they sell lotion gloves....they are designed to keep lotion in and in turn keep moisture in. I use these for the most part and they fit pretty tight to the skin so it does not limit movement. They cost about 4 bucks.

faze

Reaction score
when i use faze, my hands start to sweat and i stop usin him then, or shuld i put a small fan near me? to keep us cool

DannyRWW

Reaction score
Another thought....if you have been sweating in your puppet and an odor develops....use fabri softener sheets inside the puppet....this helps eliminate "puppet funk " (I work with a lot of teens and this is very important).

ReneeLouvier

Reaction score
"puppet funk" *giggles*

Seriously though, that is really good advice for puppeters though. I'll remember that when I start to do more work with Tina again. I'm always sweating a lot during the performances. Being stuck in a tiny box in really really hot after 30 minutes...