Flippersteps in the Sand

Beauregard

Reaction score
My prayers are with everyone out there, particularly Lisa. Be well, be safe, get back and post girl. (You see how much we care about Kermit? I mean, er, Lisa?)

Beau

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Aye, that we do sonny boy. Lisa'll be fine... After all, it's only two weeks till she gets back... And the zaniness can start all over again.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
I was just thinking about this when I was watching the news this morning. I'm like...where is Lisa again? I too hope that she is safe and back here with us posting this story when she's supposed to be! I miss you Lisa and I hope you're all right!

Leyla

Reaction score
I have to chime in here. I'm trying not to worry, but gee, it's scary right now. Does anyone have any idea where exactly in Israel Lisa is?

I hope you're okay, Lisa. I'd rather have you back safe than all the great stories in the world... though honestly, I'm hoping for an update too. :wink:

Be safe.

RedDragon

Reaction score
No she didn't tell me that....I don't think she's staying in one place so <shrug>

theprawncracker

Reaction score
*Bumpitty bump bump, bumpitty bump bump* We can't wait for more story! ...Yo!...:stick_out_tongue:

Xela

Reaction score
One of my friends has a friend that's over there, too. But that girl is fine, and hopefully Lisa is too. Either way, I'll be praying for her, hoping that she comes back safely.

Leyla

Reaction score
Well, Lisa will be back soon and safely here's hoping, so just so she knows I missed her, I present the really long, happy, fun, catch up review!

Chapter Eighteen
A very good place to start.
“Neat!” Robin said. “What’s that?”

“That’s a hot dog stand.”

“I don’t see any dogs.”

“Well, uh-“

“What’s that?”
Heh heh, oh this is just such a cute peaceful chapter. I just love all of Robin's energetic curiosity about this new world. Kermit really needs Robin, you know? And he needs the rest of his muppet family (perhaps I should say clump?) too. It's so nice to see him happy. If anyone deserves happiness, it's the frog.

Kermit smiled as he slowly followed Robin. How many late nights had he wished these stairs were shorter, or even non-existent? Yet Robin relished every step. He decided that, at least while Robin was here, he would try to see his life- and maybe the world- through a younger frog’s eyes.
You're doing such a great job of having Kermit recover in little steps, well, little flippersteps of course. It feels very realistic, and despite the earlier tragedy and the lingering sadness, there's just so much hope throughout this story. You are one talented mammajamma.

Chapter Nineteen
A very good place to continue!

Kermit sat at the foot of the bed and watched his peaceful slumber for a long time, debating to himself whether he should lock the window or leave it open. Locking it would be safer. But the fresh air from leaving it open would be more like the swamp, and might make Robin more comfortable.
I like this very parental debating Kermit's doing. Poor fellow, he's so good at taking care of people... and to have lost Ray and Melinda... sigh. How did I get sad again during this lovely scene?

He was lost somewhere in the world of the author’s brain when-
Heh heh! I liked that Lisa!

Robin was sitting in his blanket-nest, wide-eyed, looking around, with tears streaming down his face.
Oh, I can picture that so clearly! What great description... and poor little Robin!

I hate falling dreams, but how neat is it that Kermit and Robin have had the same nightmare! Hot chocolate and granny and a song... I love these peaceful scenes. I'm just gonna snuggle up with my Kermit and Piggy dolls and picture that scene... once I'm done reviewing! Your writing is just beautiful, Lisa.

Chapter Twenty
And another great one!

“No, no in-between floor,” Kermit said. “We’re just sort of… in-between.”

Robin looked up at him, confused. “But… then… where are we?”

“Well, we’re just halfway down the stairs,” Kermit said.
And Leyla melts into warm goo. I love that song so much, and to see Robin discovering that... in between-ness. It's just so very sweet.
“No, it still works the same,” Kermit said. “It just looks fancier.”

“It’s really neat,” Robin said.
Spiral stairs are neat looking, but they do make me dizzy. Robin's interest in everyday objects remains very charming and sweet.
“Well, like Jerry Juhl, and Don Sahlin, Frank Oz, Jerry Nelson-“ Robin suddenly stopped. “What’s wrong?”
Aw, the gang's all here. Is it weird that I miss a bunch of people I've never met?

“Well- I don’t know, but- don’t try it, okay?” Kermit tried to edge him away from the stairs.

“Oh I wasn’t going to,” Robin said. “It’s scary!” They walked on. “Does he still work here?” Robin asked.
Gonzo can weird out little Robin. I'm sure he's very proud. I'm just happy Robin has more sense.

Kermit smiled. “In the special?” he said. “You’re Robin- Sir Robin- the Brave.”
What a great ending for a chapter that started out with Robin being afraid! I love how you structure your stories!

Chapter Twenty-One
I've always liked the number twenty one.

Kermit and Robin walked hand in hand down the old dirt road. “But I’m gonna come back again, right Uncle Kermit?” Robin asked.
Aw... Robin's going back home. I miss him when he's not around.

“UNCLE KERMI!” Dozens of young frogs instantly swarmed them, all shouting. “UNCLE KERMIT! UNCLE KERMIT’S HERE! ROBIN’S BACK! ROBIN! TELL US EVERYTHING, ROBIN!”
I never get tired of seeing (well, reading) Kermit getting swamped (teehee) by many adorable frogs. Robin's reaction is hilarious. No wonder Kermit can handle muppety chaos given his background.

It felt like something was missing. Well, not something, but someone was missing, a little dark green frog with lots of energy, a thousand questions, and infinite patience to listen to whatever Kermit had to say.
Oh, that's poignant. Robin has really been such good medicine for Kermit, and now he's alone again.

Even if he tried to just think of the happy times, a biting voice in the back of his mind reminded him that he would never be happy with them again.
Oh, Lisa. Stop breaking my heart, you! I loved the conveniant philosophical guys and of course, Kermit using thoughts of Robin to push away his sad thoughts... that's too sweet for words. Must resist.... urge to... cuddle frog.

Kermit climbed up the stairs to his apartment, smiling at the middle step. He thought to himself, as Robin always proclaimed, halfway.
I like that 'halfway' has now become a thing between them. It was Robin's first song on the Muppet show too, if I'm not mistaken.

“Sheesh.” Kermit crossed the room, opened the window, and perched himself on the windowsill. Had it always been like that? Had he spent the two years he had lived in this apartment just wishing he could have them back?
It's sad, but it's good that he's realising that, and good that he's trying to change things. (Pats Kermit on little green head) You're gonna be okay, pal. And I'm sure you'll eventually forgive Lisa for giving you a happy family before mercilessly tearing them away from you. :wink:
I love him rearranging the furniture only to bring it back to the way it was, inadvertantly, and your description of the pictures was very well done.

And I hate moving furniture.

Chapter Twenty-Two
You're just so consistantly good, Lisa! And I'm so happy Robin is back!
House shopping with Robin... the very thought tires me out, but the little guy is certainly worth it! I love that they chose the house based on the stairs.... I love that!

“What does that say?” Robin pointed at a white box.

Oh, the white box... I like that you have Kermit trying to keep Melinda and Ray as a secret. It's really sad, but at the same time I feel like it's in keeping with our private sort of frog. You handled the discussion very well and I'm hapy he talked it over with Robin.

Robin watched him and waited very patiently. He seemed to understand people in a way that many adults struggled to. It was really beyond his own comprehension. But he knew the difference between big emotions and small emotions, good emotions and bad emotions. He knew that what his uncle was about to explain was a really big, really bad emotion. And he knew that when somebody shared a really big, really bad emotion, he should be really quiet. So he was.
This is a beautifully written paragraph Lisa! I love this little character sketch of Robin. This is such an emotional chapter, but it is good the Kermit's talking about it, and Robin wiping away Kermit's tear... oh... I don't know what to say about that.

“It’s a teddy bear,” Kermit said. “It used to be Ray’s.”

Robin looked at it carefully. He hugged it, a loving, sympathetic hug, as if it had just awoken from a nightmare. Then he gingerly set it back in the box, turned, and solemnly looked up at his uncle. “I think we should keep this box,” he said.
Just when I thought I wasn't going to cry today...

Chapter Twenty-Three
I will never complain about there being too many chapters to this story!
He grinned at her and handed her a ten-dollar bill, leaning in slightly. “We’re very close,” he said.
Ooh, he's actually flirting! Aw, I'm proud of him!
“Oh… whenever I have time,” he said a little too casually to be casual.
Nicely worded!

“Yes I do,” she said. “And if your nephew likes that book, you better hop on back here and pick up a book about a little bear named Winnie-the-Pooh.”
Yay! 'Halfway down the stairs!'

“You know at first I thought this book might’ve been for your son.”

“No, I-“ He caught his breath suddenly. “I don’t have a son.” He picked the book up off the counter.
Gack! And the winner for the worst possible thing to say goes to...

He held his temper until he was safely inside his house. Then someone opened Pandora’s box.
Great line! Kermit's freakout was really well done. It makes erfect sense that he would feel guilty, but it still makes me sad for him. The way he gives the book to Robin is just wonderful, and I love them sounding out the letters together.

This was exactly the feeling that getting a house was supposed to remedy.

It didn’t work.
Oh, Kermit. You don't need a house, you need people... lots of them, and very strange people, and more than a little crazy, most of them.

The scene in the flower shop was very sweet. I like how Kermit’s meets so many kind people. He deserves it.

Chapter Twenty-Four
Can you believe I’m still going?
“Hey Ray,” he said softly. “I brought you some lilies again. Do you remember the lily pads, in the swamp?” He hesitated. “We used to race across them… Everyone still races over them. It’s fun, because they change every year…” His voice trailed off.
Lilies and lily pads. Very sweet and sad. I like it when Kermit talks to his family, andI liked how he’s asking them permission to be happy again.
I need people, you know? I need a relationship-“ he turned suddenly and looked at her grave. “I mean, not a relationship, really, but…” He inched closer and knelt down. “But… a little, just… harmless flirting, maybe? It wouldn’t- I don’t want to hurt you, Melinda. I still love you. I always will love you. I just- I won’t-“ He took a slow, steadying breath. “I’m not trying to forget you,” he said quietly. “I’m just… trying to be happy.”
How do you write something so perfect? Lovely writing Lisa, and really powerful emotion here. You’re breaking my heart again, but in a nice way.

“Hey Rowlf!” Kermit called cheerfully as he approached. “It’s good to see you in town for a change!”
Yay! Rowlf’s back!

Joe Raposo half-raised his hand. “To names starting with the letter J,” he said.

Jim, Joe, Jerry, and Jerry all laughed and clinked glasses.
Very funny! And I liked Rowlf picking up on Kermit’s mood. You have a good sense for balancing the moods of each chapter. It’s never sad for too long without looking up again.

“Well?” Rowlf said.

“Well what?” Kermit said.

Well what, what?”

Kermit hesitated. “What?”
Again, very funny and it leads nicely into their more serious conversation. I’m glad Kermit has a friend like Rowlf, whom he can depend on and get advice from.

“No matter what I talked about,” Kermit agreed. “And I can still feel Ray, I mean… I can feel him running around, you know? But I can’t always feel her anymore. It’s almost like-“ He stopped himself.

Rowlf looked at him. “Like you’re losing her?” he said softly.

Kermit looked at the sidewalk and watched as he put one flipper in front of the other. “But she’s already gone,” he whispered.
Where did I put those tissues? I just love this whole conversation. It’s really, just perfect, you know?

“Oh sure!” Rowlf said. “Well there’s nothing wrong with that. There’s no harm in flirting with cashier. Nothing ever comes of it.”

Kermit shrugged. “I guess that’s true,” he said. “I was actually thinking, that- well, it felt kind of good, you know? And it’s not like I was going to fall in love with her.”

“Not that anyone ever intends to fall in love,” Rowlf said.

“Well…” Kermit squirmed, looking a little guilty. “But you can intend not to fall in love.”
You can certainly try, Kermit! But love isn’t easily denied… especially when said love comes in the form of an extremely feisty lady pig.

Chapter Twenty-Five
It’s really amazing how much time you cover so quickly, and the Muppet Show is visible on the horizon, whee!
“I see. What about this guy?” He pointed. “Crazy Donald?”

Jim hesitated, cleared his throat, and brought his voice up a notch. “He thinks this’ll be dynamite.”

Ka-BLAM!

Kermit nearly hopped out of his seat. Jim merely flinched and nodded towards the explosion. “That’s Crazy Donald,” he whispered.
I almost said best character introduction, but then I thought about all your other introductions. So… great character introduction!
Jim watched him carefully. “I think the technicians would prefer for you to ride in front of the camera,” he teased.
Yay! A joke from Jim!
Kermit looked. She was a cute little mouse with a cute little bonnet, and a cute little smile still on her face from the laugh riot. Kermit nodded. “Mm…”

Jim smiled at him. “Pleased?”

Kermit tilted his head to the side. “Maybe…” he grinned. “I think this’ll be a fun special.”
I like how much laughter and fun there is in this chapter, and I also like just getting a look at the behind the scenes conversations. The flirting scene with Miss Mousie is fun too. It’s nice to see him so relaxed.
There was an old abandoned church on Market Central Road as well, situated between a dusk-to-dawn bar and a dawn-to-dusk dollar store. No one knew who owned the church, when or why it had been abandoned, or how it had come to be neighbors with a bar, but everyone knew that no one was ever inside of it.
Again, what a great introduction, and I love how it lines up with the Muppet Movie. I also loved your one word description of the Electric Mayhem’s music!

The male guitarist answered. “We am, is, are and be, they whom as are known as, the Electric Mayhem!”
Yay! That’s such a great line. I like that Rowlf applauded them. He works together with them often enough in later days.

Chapter Twenty-Six
Slow and steady wins the race.
Animal’s obedience had driven him down behind the drums, so that they couldn’t see him. He stood right back up.
Am I the only one who thinks it’s a really good thing there’s one person Animal will listen to? Clifford’s introduction here surprised me, but again, in a good way!
“Ask me no questions and I’ll tell you no lies,” Clifford said.

“We’re pretty sure that means he doesn’t know,” Floyd said.
Great lines!

“Are you on the road a lot?” Janice asked.

“Only when I’m driving,” Rowlf said.

Animal pounded out a rim shot. Then he aimed his lazy eyes at Rowlf. “BAD JOKE!” he shouted.

Rowlf nodded. “You can say that again.”

“BAD JOKE!” Animal shouted.
I love all this great character interaction you’ve got going on. It’s very funny.
Kermit shrugged. “But I’m not really pushing for it, either. I kind of like the idea of keeping it small, you know?” he said. “But if Jim wants to grow, that’s fine with me, too.”
I like Kermit’s lack of ambition here. He hasn’t met the agent who put the idea of making millions of people happy into his head yet. I’m really enjoying all this past stuff, and the question of Kermit hosting.

“Well, see that’s the thing, I don’t know either,” Kermit said. “Have I ever told you about my star?”

“Yeah, your mom’s lullaby,” Rowlf said. “Do you feel like you’re not following it?”

“No, I feel like I’m following it,” Kermit said. “I just feel like I should be chasing it. Like there’s something else I should be looking for that’ll sort of bind together everything I want. Like a- a connection of some sort, that brings everything together.” He stood up, walked over to the window, and stared out into the night. “But I don’t know what.”
Oh, the dream conversation is just wonderful, and it leads perfectly into hints about Rainbow Connection! I really love how you’re teasing some of our favorite songs into being… it’s so well done!

On another note, I have done all the reviewing I am capable of in one sitting, so they’ll have to be a part two… maybe after Lisa gets back!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Leyla honey... *Leans in rather conspiratorily.
I'll let you in on a little secret... Lisa's back, today.
And you simply have to read through the last two or so chapters for the first half of the movie development... The ending of the last chapter so far is something I believe you and Catherine will rave about.

*Gives Leyla gentle poke with the nagging stick. Just reminding you to update your own story.