Labyrinth Comic Book Coming

angiealight

Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of the artwork, but on first quick read thru, the story seems to be ok. I would've liked to see more Jareth/Sarah, but... At any rate, I'll probably pick up the next two books when they come out. Just to see what happens. ^_^

Douglas Fir

Reaction score
Okay after four months I finally managed to get a copy of Return to Labyrinth Vol. 1! There are three places in my hometown here in the UK that stock a healthy supply of TokyoPop books and none of them had this when it was released, around the release time I also went on a trip to Edinburgh (where I met Brian Henson!) and had no luck finding it in the local comic shop there, then I had a trip to London and visited all of their major comic shops... still no luck! Finally I actually went back to London for a big convention where TokyoPop had a big presence! They had a huge wall of Manga and staff on hand to answer questions... yet when I asked about Return to Labyrinth (which suprisingly wasn't on their wall of manga!) I just got a blank stare and a shrug!

I mean I didn't travel the length and breadth of the UK specifically looking for this book but I figured amongst my travels I would have been able to pick it up somewhere! But once again I was forced to give an online retailer my custom - I don't know what the problem was with this patricular book in the UK (maybe there's a licensing issue or something?) but at least I finally now have a copy (even if it is a 2nd printing)!

Okay onto the book... I had read so many negative things on this board that I was beginning to think it wasn't worth the effort of tracking it down but I have to disagree with everyone who didn't like it because I loved it and I can't wait to read the other volumes!

Those who were unhappy with the art... well okay I have seen better but I have seen much worse too. I an no expert on manga but in the last fifteen years I've read my fair share and from what was being said here I really expected the artwork to be awful... and it really wasn't! I guess it's all subjective because it comes down to personal taste but I liked it.

I also found the story to be just flat-out entertaining. I actually found myself laughing out loud whilst reading it (something I rarely do!) and I felt it was a really nice continuation of the movie! It was great to see Sir Didymus, Hoggle and Ludo return and I really liked the new characters too! Plus it was nice to see the other Henson references (the Kermit fridge magnet in Toby's house and Travelling Matt at the ball... that guy really does get around doesn't he)! I can't wait to find out what happens next and I'm even looking forward to the Dark Crystal manga after reading the preview at the back of this book (and I've never been a huge Dark Crystal fan... I like it but Labyrinth has always been my favorite)!

fallen615

Reaction score
Ok, I've been hearing both positive and negative comments about this. I've loved Labyrinth since I was very small and I finally managed to buy the movie on DVD a couple of years ago. So I really love the movie. :smile: I just recently started hearing about the sequel Tokyopop is doing. I dont want to waste my money on buying it if I don't end up liking it, so does anyone know a site from where I can get a preview of it? Thanks.

By the way since the movie rumors have basically been cleared up why are there still "movie trailers" for the "movie" all over youtube? I don't recognize some of the footage shown and some of it is definitely not from the Labyrinth.

Wiseman

Reaction score
still waiting for volume 3 of RTL

As we know December 11 2007 has come and gone and so has December 11 2008. When will the next installment in this series come out? I am also anxiously awaiting the release of the second volume of Legends Of the Dark Crystal.:confused:

RedPiggy

Reaction score
fallen615 said:
By the way since the movie rumors have basically been cleared up why are there still "movie trailers" for the "movie" all over youtube? I don't recognize some of the footage shown and some of it is definitely not from the Labyrinth.

I see them too. It's just some people who like to make their own "sequels". Quite a few of them are "trailers" for fanfics. They use other David Bowie and Jennifer Connelly clips (I don't know the Bowie ones, but usually they'll use Blood Diamond, Hulk, and such for clips of adult Sarah).

wiseman said:
As we know December 11 2007 has come and gone and so has December 11 2008. When will the next installment in this series come out? I am also anxiously awaiting the release of the second volume of Legends Of the Dark Crystal.
http://www.gobblin.net/

The current release date for Volume Three is May '09. He ran late with a draft and Tokyopop was having issues with stuff, so that's why it's late.

Wiseman

Reaction score
http://www.gobblin.net/

The current release date for Volume Three is May '09. He ran late with a draft and Tokyopop was having issues with stuff, so that's why it's late.[/quote]

TY Any News on Legends of The Dark Crystal would also be helpful:scary:

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
You know... If you head on over to www.muppetcast.com and read through the show notes for Episode 91, Steve posted links people sent in of some older Labyrinth and Dark Crystal comics. Maybe this'd interest you guys and gals, dunno, check 'em out.

fallen615

Reaction score

Thanks Red Piggy, Wiseman, and :batty:. At least now im not confused anymore. :smile: well, I just bought Vol. 1 and it's not bad. I'll be buying Vol.2 as soon as I can. Too bad Vol. 3 wont be out untill May but I guess I'll survive. :wink: Anyway I noticed something in Vol. 1. Is the dog in Vol. 1 the same one from the movie or is it the same one? It looks like the same one but since the names are different im confused

RedPiggy

Reaction score
The movie sheepdog was named Merlin. The manga one is Pendragon. They're supposed to be "real" dogs, so a real dog wouldn't live that long. Merlin was already an adult in the movie, and roughly 13 years have passed ... so Merlin's gone. Sir Didymus' Ambrosius, though, is still around I think ... but they live in a magical kingdom. The only real mistake (assumed) is that Jareth-owl is presented as a snowy owl instead of the barn owl.

fallen615

Reaction score
thanks for the clarification piggy. I just wished that they had chosen a different type of breed for the dog to avoid the confusion. It reminds me too much of Merlin. Has anyone seen the drawing released on gobblin.net? its a rough draft of the one that will appear in vol. 3.