Christian Puppetry

wes

Reaction score
scarylarrywolf said:
Also, I find it sickening that puppets are only used in children's church anymore.

That is my total pet peave, any chance I get i smash that, theory

Lastly I think one reason church puppetry is lacking is that not every church has the human resources to pull it off.
Yes thats exactly why!!

Now I believe a heart for encouraging kids trumps artistic passion, but it's not the same thing. That's just what it comes down to.
Maybe but there needs to be a balance, I have been know to tell a Mother that her child is great when He/she is not really good at all.

RevTieDye

Reaction score
dkmontgomery said:
I saw a guy at a convention some years ago utilize a basic Rat puppet (with no legs) outside of a puppet stage. I was a bit sceptical at first (he was not a ventriloquist) but his technique and routine brought this character to life. It was amazing.
Were the guys initials S.P.? In a workshop I teach, I use him as an example of a time I was shocked and challenged by the fact that "broke the rules" by bringing a legless puppet out in front of an audience, with no stage, and no ventriloquism. I looked on in my youthful puppet snobbery, and was promptly smacked down by an amazing display of character and a great story. I had to rethink my devotion to all the rules. (Then again, it was at a convention full of grown ups.)

Whispers

Reaction score
I belong to the Christian Puppetry Ministry Team in my church and actually am a co-director. I love the chance of getting to use puppets not only to express myself through a character but also to teach children values. Of course the fundamentals of puppetry are important. I don't allow people to simply slap on a puppet and just flip the lid without actually learning to bring a character to life and make the actions and words believable.:smile:

wes

Reaction score
Whispers said:
I don't allow people to simply slap on a puppet and just flip the lid without actually learning to bring a character to life and make the actions and words believable.:smile:
Great Job! You have to be a little strich When deal with basic skills, I had to deal with this with parents wondering why their child didn't get lead parts, I tell them basically that they need to learn their basic skills.

doozerduststew

Reaction score
Christian Puppeteering discussion.

I believe puppets are a great way to teach children, and puppet ministries in a church can be very effective. I agree that many church puppet ministries can be a little amateurish, but I've found one in Tucson that is actually VERY well done. It's K'Deo- they have a website and they're up on YouTube too (I think). I've been to it a lot, and it's got lots of great stuff for the parents to laugh at- not just the kids! (reminds me a lot of the Muppets).

Anyhow, I think puppets are a GREAT way to teach kids (in a church, or school- drug abuse resistance programs etc). Go puppets!

:coy::excited::smirk:

Beauregard

Reaction score
Hey,

I have a couple of thoughts...One think that I've always realised while doing Puppetry in churches, and street evangelism (although I don't do a great deal of that) is that Puppets can get away with things that humans can't. They can make a joke that might be going too far if it were said by a human. They can make a hard-line statement of Christian principle, and no one is offended...after all, what does the Puppet know?

I always include a strong message in my Puppetry in churches, but I also include a lot of humour and character and always have people laughing.

My parents once basically dictated to me what they wanted put into a Puppet script, which in my honest opinion took the whole thing too far, and it didn't work at all. No matter what silly voices, or cool props were used.

Still, Puppets are attention grabbing and can say things to adults, whilst talking to children, that the adults might not listen to otherwise.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I think i have told my Puppet minestry story on here before, but what I have found if you let the Puppet really kind of interact with the people (kids or adults) they really become a part of the show. That way your message comes across more clear. At least that's what I think.

Alvin

Reaction score
Not sure how i found this particular thread, but here are my thoughts....I am a Christian...and I am a puppeteer. YES I have seen some BAD church puppetry...REALLY BAD. But I think there are those of us who want to change that. Myself...I would LOVE to be considered the Christian Jim Henson. I am even putting together some stuff to get something together to see if I could debut my puppets...which are very "muppet like" on the 2011 Dove Awards. If all of those other TV shows and what not can have the "Muppets" then the Christians should have their....whatever....so I am working towards that.
Childrens entertainment these days is soooooo bad. I mean yeah sesame street is still around that's good, but these cartoons nowdays...oh my....we need something more. Take what I do, and add a whole lot of flare to it. I write ALL of what I do. Songs included. Lately I have done 80's parodies, and people eat it up, and the kids love it too. Who wouldn't love a big red monster singing a parody to "Old Time Rock-n-Roll" changed to "Jesus Saved My Soul" I am even putting together a CD with about 10 parodies on it to sell at my shows. Parodies are a legal use of music. It's good to hear that there are other Christian puppeteers who are trying to change the way church puppetry is portrayed and make it good again. Kudos to you all.
BTW if anybody is interested in one of my parody CD's let me know...I think you would get a kick out of it, or at least I could send you a few of the songs. God bless...and keep up the good work!

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
I would LOVE to be considered the Christian Jim Henson.
i used to be called that back in the day...

puppety in my church is how i got my foot in the door,i was the churches puppet team leader and later became the puppet team Director

sadly all my puppeteers where the teenagers who didnt want to be in the drama team or singers so they shoved them my way

Alvin

Reaction score
LOL...yeah i worked with some teenagers at one point...when I was one....and turns out...I'm still doing it, and was even better than they were at the time. Are you recognized in your community with your puppets...if so...how did you do it? I am trying to get out there...it's tuff!