David

Cookie fan

Reaction score
You gotta love David in this clip!

Oh man, this is Northern Calloway at his finest! This is by far one of the funniest clips ever from Sesame Street. Memorable quotes from this clips are: "Imagine On Baby"
"I know who a square is"
"Can rectangles go up to down instead of sideways to sideways?"
and "Ooooh OW! Rectangles are my favorite!"
If you don't split your ribs from laughing after looking at this then you have to lighten up.:smile: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOfyAA7vcy0

Chris Gawley

Reaction score
JLG said:
I've heard in another chat board (forgot where) that Calloway was having mental problems. In 1980, he reportedly went on a drunken rampage somewhere in Kentucky and attacked some woman in her home. I'm amazed that he not only got off with no jail time, but actually continued to be on SS. (If anyone knows more about this, I'd like to hear it.)
It may not be a coincidence that it was right around this time that his health started to visibly deteriorate--with the weight gain and everything. Who knows what was going on in his head...
I remember hearing that also! I can recall an article (possibly the same as the one mentioned above) wherein during one of Northern's rampages, he was found on a front lawn, eating the grass! I don't remember any more of the details or what treatment he was ungergoing.

I also remember that around that time his onscreen character seemed to change. His demeanor seemed to change from someone who was always happy & funny to someone who was easily aggitated (he seemed annoyed by things that went on around him)! The weight gain was also blatantly obvious!

I always felt bad that Northern's character and his legacy went out the way it did! He was and still is my all-time favorite SS character, and despite whatever, I will always remember him fondly!

Cookie fan

Reaction score
In spite of all the things that would have happened in Northern Calloway's life, I agree with you guys are saying; he is definitely one of my favorite characters and he is sorely missed.