David

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I'll admit I didn't grow up in the wonderful era of "classic" Sesame Street when Hooper's Store was run by one Mr. Hooper, or when Miles and Gabi weren't around, or when there was no Elmo; but I have seen quite a bit of classic Sesame Street in my time (no I don't have the Old-School DVD, but it's on my wishlist): I've seen Mr. Hooper on "Christmas Eve on Sesame Street", and I have "Bedtime Stories and Song", "The Best of Ernie and Bert", and partial copies of "Big Bird's Storytime" and the sing-a-long on the roof videos. In "Christmas Eve", "Storytime", and the sing-a-long video I get to see a little of David; although that's all I've seen of him so far, he really seems like a cool character on Sesame Street. I do know that he and Maria had a thing going on before she met up with Luis, but other than that I don't know much about him, so what all was he like other than being Maria's former boyfriend?

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Well... David was sort of a cool cat. To be honest, I don't rully remember him and María being linked before she met Luis, though there is this one sketch where the two of them pretended to be a Two-Headed Monster to understand the real monster itself.
After Mr. Hooper died, David ran Hooper's Store on his own... Until he hired a young 18-year-old girl who has now grown up to be a veterinarian and the newest mommy on the Street as his assistant.

After María and Luis became the "it" couple, David was sort of paired with Olivia in terms of the people he hung out with. Seems a shame we lost both of them, one due to death and the other because she wanted to move on to a new address (namely 227).

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Actually... They didn't. Reason why is two-fold.
1 It seems that the actor Northern Calloway had a "condition" (saying that because I don't know exactly what it was and I'm trying not to make it seem as unintentionally offputting as possible) where the producers of SW basically had to ask him to leave. So he left the show and it was explained that he was living on his grandmother's farm for that last year.
2 The focus when Northern Calloway died was elsewhere in the Muppet community, as he also died in 1990... And we all know what happened that year to command greater attention from the entire Muppet community back then.
Hope this helps explain it all... You can find more at http://muppet.wikia.com and have a good day.

travellingpat

Reaction score
Oh thanks! I couldnt remember what had happened! Thanks for making it clearer!

See Ya!!

600th Post!

Censored

Reaction score
The Count said:
Actually... They didn't. Reason why is two-fold.
1 It seems that the actor Northern Calloway had a "condition" (saying that because I don't know exactly what it was and I'm trying not to make it seem as unintentionally offputting as possible) where the producers of SW basically had to ask him to leave. So he left the show and it was explained that he was living on his grandmother's farm for that last year.
2 The focus when Northern Calloway died was elsewhere in the Muppet community, as he also died in 1990... And we all know what happened that year to command greater attention from the entire Muppet community back then.
Hope this helps explain it all... You can find more at http://muppet.wikia.com and have a good day.

This was the first time I ever heard that Northern Calloway was asked to leave the show. It's been said that he retired on his own for medical reasons. Where did you hear that he was let go?

Censored

Reaction score
Maria met Luis several years before they became romantically involved. Throughout most of the 70's and early 80's, Maria and David were an item and she was just friends with Luis.

Also, I don't recall David and Olivia really pairing up any more than usual after Maria and Luis got together. In fact, Olivia left the show before David, not long after Luis and Maria fell in love.

BEAR

Reaction score
I think what was meant was that Olivia and David were paired up or seemed to have been paired up quite a bit. I've started to see it myself. They had a good buddy chemistry with each other. It's also no doubt that they were the "hip and cool" ones on the street at the time. David was sort of known to be the wild, crazy and fun guy. The one not afraid to be just a little different. However, I have never heard of Calloway being asked to leave either. I thought it was just simply that he needed to leave because of his health.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I don't suppose any could tell me what this "medical condition" was that Northern had?

BEAR

Reaction score
D'Snowth said:
I don't suppose any could tell me what this "medical condition" was that Northern had?

I believe it was stomache cancer.