Has anyone actually ever seen 'A Special Sesame Street Christmas'?

muppet maniac

Reaction score
I know! Goodness, I;m seeing the beginning right now and Im going...WHAT THE DUCK???????? Seriously, I didnt like the way they portrayed Oscar in that. He was totally waaaaay out of character. Oscar is a GROUCH, meaning he just complains and grumbles, but was still a softie... and not a smart(a word) and jerk like he was in that. Im so sick and tired of this "Oscar is a jerk" B-S, which is totally untrue. Plus, We all know that everyone on the street respected him even though he was different and all and he was their friend too. Man another thing like that and I'm gonna kill myself by eating a whole bowl of peanuts.

Peanuts infected with the not-so-goody things!

And where was Ernie? and Bert? and Grover? Cookie? This is NOT Sesame Street. This was written by some idiot

I just hope they burn this special to heck for eternity. And we shall never hear from this ever again. Or show it on TV ever again. ONCE AND FOR ALL.

:mad:

Son of Enik

Reaction score
I agree, (After seeing it on YouTube) put this one in a rocket along with the Star Wars Holiday special and shoot it at the Sun!!

muppet maniac

Reaction score
I agree, (After seeing it on YouTube) put this one in a rocket along with the Star Wars Holiday special and shoot it at the Sun!

No, WAIT---Even Better! We travel back in time, find the idiots behind this, invite him/them over for lunch at some diner and put a looot of hot peppers in his burger and see what happens (like in that scene from Dumb and Dumber)

Censored

Reaction score
There were several occasions in the early episodes (and not so early ones) where Oscar could have been classified as "a jerk". When Miles was first adopted, he laughed when the baby cried, deliberately made noise to cause the crying, and he once came over to Gordon and Susan's house just to see Gordon complain about a headache; that was just in the 80's. In the seventies, he deliberately made Maria late for class, told David that he was going to flunk his law exam, and even stole Maria's hat. Not to mention the fact that in "Christmas Eve On Sesame Street", Oscar seemed to take particular delight in tormenting Big Bird about Santa not getting down the chimney, would not relent, said that he hated Christmas, and would tell Santa "where to put his toys." I really don't see how Oscar was any different in "A Special Sesame Street Christmas," unless perhaps he's compared to the episodes of the 90's and current series where his personality has been considerably watered down. Personally, I liked the traditional Oscar. :grouchy:

As for where Ernie, Bert, Cookie, and Grover were in this special, that question could have been asked about most of the episodes in the 80's where they were conspicuously absent from the street scenes. Nor is the entire human cast present in most episodes either.

If the special was actually nominated for an Emmy, there is obviously other opinions about it that should be at least considered. But in any case, ALL Sesame Street from the 70's is precious and should be preserved. JMO

BEAR

Reaction score
I just watched it on Youtube and it didn't seem so bad to me at all. In fact, I thought it was pretty fun!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Ok, just started watching it, I think it's perfectly fine! I don't see what all the fuss is about.

I haven't seen the adults in such good form for a long time. I liked it when Mr. Hooper corrected Big Bird on his name, even though Big Bird was talking to himself. And when they were all angry at the snow plower, very realistic! And Barkley is SO cute!!!

JLG

Reaction score
Watched it last night. It was definitely on the cheesy side(esepecially the second half) but I don't think it was nearly as bad as some are making it out to be. It was just kinda...whatever. Watch it once for a few laughs and and then fuggetabowtit. Unlike its counterpart, which can be enjoyed over and over.

sawing14s (Daffyfan2003?) Even if you got this copied from somebody else and it's third or fourth generation, it has to be one of the rarest programs on the face of the earth. We're seeing it now ONLY because of the fluke chance of some rich guy taping it off TV 28 years ago. (I'm assuming he was comfortable, anyway---how many people had VCRs that early on?) One-in-a-million chancings like that fascinate me.

By the way, if what someone said about this being nominated for an Emmy, and then losing to "Christmas Eve on Sesame Street" is true, then that is one of the funniest freakin' things I've ever heard.

On another note: I know this is kind of in "nerd" territory :smirk: , but I'm always thinking in terms of continuity (even though it's often a futile task). Both of those Christmas specials were released in 1978, but I can't see any way they could be in continuity with each other. You'd just have to pretend one happened a year apart from the other. (Either that or my personal favorite way of explaining anything that doesn't fit together---"alternate universe". Problem solved!:smile: )

Censored

Reaction score
JLG said:
Even if you got this copied from somebody else and it's third or fourth generation, it has to be one of the rarest programs on the face of the earth. We're seeing it now ONLY because of the fluke chance of some rich guy taping it off TV 28 years ago. (I'm assuming he was comfortable, anyway---how many people had VCRs that early on?) One-in-a-million chancings like that fascinate me.

Yes, and as much as the guy who taped this special may ridicule it up and down, he seemed to understand that it was something to be preserved all these years. He also appears to be somewhat conflicted about whether he wants this special to be promoted or not.

He describes it as "A forgotten special which should stay forgotten." Well, as long as people are uploading it on YouTube for everyone to see, it won't be quite as forgotten as it could have been. If I really wanted something to stay lost in history, the last thing I would do is make it public on the internet. Wishes for it never to come to DVD, but provides it to the world. Hmmmm... Either he's joking about how much he can't stand it or he has some kind of real love/hate relationship with it.

Whatever the motivation, I'd like to thank him for bringing back this blast from the past, helping many remember it, and letting others see it for the first time. Say what you will about "A Special Sesame Street Christmas", but in the words of Grover (after Oscar has just complained about something that was fun) .... "I liked it."

Erine81981

Reaction score
I think this should of been called "A Sesame Street Christmas Carol" then the one they released. I know the other one is just a clip show it sounds better as specal sesame street christmas other the name it was given. I have to say I enjoyed it very well. Would love to see this on DVD soon. (I can dream can't I?)