Ernie and Bert's seldom seen kitchen

ISNorden

Reaction score
Bert and Ernie's apartment was originally in the basement of the 123 building, but they eventually moved upstairs (judging by the change of scenery, and by strangers' ability to come in without walking down any stairs). The plumbing must have gotten renovated since then, too; Episode 1 has Bert complain that Ernie was keeping the other tenants from using a common bathtub.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
I don't think they ever moved upstairs.

Notice the winows are still the same and in later years I've always had the impression they were in the basement apartment.

As for that other room, I suspect it was just a playroom that was only use twice.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Bert and Ernie's kitchen

Way back in the first season (I was there so I know firsthand) Ernie had Cookie Monster come in the kitchen and Ernie sang
"If I Knew You Were Coming I'd Have Baked A Cake", originally done by Tommy Dorsey, if I'm not mistaken (somebody can always look it up.) Ernie mixes all the ingredients and pops it in the oven, and out comes a cake, already frosted and with candles lit.

This clip exists on youtube, but it's dubbed in Hebrew. Even without subtitles, you can get the gist of what's happening.

Mokeystar

Reaction score
There's some other room of Bert and Ernie's. I don't know if it was supposed to be a basement or what.
Ernie was studying his hands, Bert comes in, door shuts loudly, Bert does a double take at the door, then complains about the room being a mess. There was a mobile in one corner of silvery like fish.
They then proceed to do this skit about Ernie saying he bets he could do ten different things with his fingers.
Anyone remember that skit and that room real well?
I think you might have been thinking of two seperate clips. Hoewever this clip features the room with the fish mobile that you were talking about. This is where Bert tries to remind Ernie of something very important that he needs to take with him in the laundry basket in order to do laundry. Ernie thinks of everything (like his rubber duckie and his basketball) and begins to put in the basket, filling it completely.. and ends up going to play baseball because he now can't possibly fit the laundry into the basket! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC51DvanmRI