Return to Oz

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
I remember Return To Oz. I must have seen it 5 times now. I must say, I had no idea Margaret Hamilton played Aunty Em in this picture, although I knew she was the Wicked Witch of the West in the 1939 picture.
On a sad note, Margaret died the same year Return To Oz was released.
Piper Laurie (The Hustler, Carrie) actually played Aunt Em in Return to Oz.

In the animated Journey Back to Oz, Margaret did the voice for Aunt Em.

MJTaylor

Reaction score
Gee thanks a lot for shattering that illusion Winslow! Guess I'll have to see Journey Back To Oz now...that is if I can find it.

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
Gee thanks a lot for shattering that illusion Winslow! Guess I'll have to see Journey Back To Oz now...that is if I can find it.
Lol! I haven't seen Journey either, but it has a lot of great voice talent, including Liza Minnelli as Dorothy.

muppet baby

Reaction score
Lol! I haven't seen Journey either, but it has a lot of great voice talent, including Liza Minnelli as Dorothy.
i got the VHS a while back several years it was very cute and liza did a great Job as Dorthey he he :smile:

MJTaylor

Reaction score
Well, it looks like I owe Winslow Leach an aplogy. If I'd been reading the thread more carefully I would have known Margaret Hamilton was in Jounrey Back to Oz, not Return to Oz. Still anyone can make a mistake!
But as we do seem to be getting somewhat off topic here, let me share with you my memories of Return To Oz. I saw this film on the big screen shortly before my 14th birthday. Later we got the video and I think I watched it twice. As I remember the critics weren't that impressed with the film but Mum said that Fauzria Baulk (Sorry I can't remember how to spell her name) did a great job at filling Judy Garland's shoes. I had to agree.

Erine81981

Reaction score
Funny thing i saw this and just this week i bought the newer DVD of "Return To Oz" on DVD. Cool to know alot of people loved this movie. One my friends mom hates it and loves "Wizard Of Oz' better then this one. But i love this and just can't get enough of it. I've proubley seen it hundreds of times and just love Tic Toc and Grump and Jack too. I love all the characters but also love them the most of all. I would love to see something new come out with a newer adventure of something like that. But ROCK ON RETURN TO OZ LOVERS!

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
Funny thing i saw this and just this week i bought the newer DVD of "Return To Oz" on DVD. Cool to know alot of people loved this movie. One my friends mom hates it and loves "Wizard Of Oz' better then this one. But i love this and just can't get enough of it. I've proubley seen it hundreds of times and just love Tic Toc and Grump and Jack too. I love all the characters but also love them the most of all. I would love to see something new come out with a newer adventure of something like that. But ROCK ON RETURN TO OZ LOVERS!
Yep, I love how the filmmakers followed the books the film was based on, and made each character resemble his or her counterpart from the original illustrations.

Maybe if the film had been a hit, Disney would have made more sequels...

But a big complaint at the time was the movie was too dark and scary for young audiences, which is one of the reasons why it didn't do so well at the b.o.

Imawitchusay

Reaction score
But most of the movies in that period were dark, like the Dark Crystal, but I love them both and I am glad they are not happy fluffy newer disney. The adventure and the scary moments are what makes them really good fantasy movies in my book.

MJTaylor

Reaction score
I finally got to see Journey Back To Oz. It was on a VHS cassette I picked up second hand. The beginning of the tape was very obiviously worn out but two minutes or so in it worked properly. I really liked it too.
I also have the book The Marvellous Land Of Oz which I bought from a book fair. I shall start to read it sometime.

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
Wow, old thread!

I saw some random scenes of this when it aired on the Disney channel, but not when it was originally created.