Muppets Take Manhattan Playing in NYC

SarahOnBway

Reaction score
Hey guys!

So I just got back from seeing the documentary "Show Business" at a little independent theater on Houston St, and what do I behold on the marquee? Muppets Take Manhattan, playing at midnight on May 25th, 26th and 27th! Apparently they're forseeing a huge crowd because they're showing it three nights in a row instead of their normal two (MTM is the only movie given 3 spots). I'm planning on being there on Friday without question and I hope some of you in the tri-state area will be able to make it as well! The theater is:

Landmark's Sunshine Cinema
143 East Houston St.
New York, NY

I am SO excited! I've never seen MTM on the big screen--the closest I got was when NYU played it on a projection screen during orientation week my Freshman year. This is going to be great. :smile: :big_grin: :excited:

peyjenk

Reaction score
Aaw, that sounds fun. Too bad I'm five states away. :smile:

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
I saw MTM in its original run.

The Muppet Movie was the first-ever film I saw in a theatre.

For some reason, I didn't see The Great Muppet Caper until it premiered on HBO.

But I tell ya: there's nothing like seeing the Muppets on a big screen!:smile:

abiraniriba

Reaction score
2 bad I can't go

I saw MTM in its original run, unfortunately I can't make this screening as the midnight hour is a little late for me with my current job. I have to be up at 5:15 to be on time to wherever subcentral (that's the part of the Department of Education that handles substitutes) sends me. Also my daughter is a little sick this week and even if I wasn't working I need to be home for her & my wife.

dpurves

Reaction score
Boy, I have to say this is really tempting. If it was TMM playing, I have no doubt that I'd somehow find a way to get there. Still, with a midnight showing I probably wouldn't be getting home until about 2:30-3:00 in the morning, and that is what's talking me out of doing this.

SarahOnBway

Reaction score
I, personally, LOVE midnight movies just because they're midnight movies. I've seen Rocky Horror a bunch of times and I always see my "I HAVE TO SEE THIS MOVIE NOWWWWW" movies at midnight, like the last Pirates movie, all the Harry Potter movies, and even Snakes on a Plane! I would be seeing Pirates 3 tonight at midnight, except that the first showing was moved forward to 8pm, so I'm seeing it then :smile: I've even taken part in a showing of the Buffy musical at midnight.

Midnight movie crowds are just SO fantastic. They're high energy, crowded and for some reason the movie always seems better. I walked out of Pirates 2 ECSTATIC after I saw it at midnight and after I saw it the second time I walked out like "wow... that was a lot more flawed than I thought..." haha.

I will DEFINITELY be there Friday night, and maybe even Saturday night as well. There are only so many opportunities to see the Muppets on the big screen these days :smile:

Super Scooter

Reaction score
I'm seeing the "almost midnight" showing of Pirates tonight. Gonna be sooooo great!

The Muppets Take Manhattan is really a wonderful movie to see in the theater. I saw it last year, and it made me appreciate the film a lot more (I don't really know why, but I ended up crying at the end). Plus, there are some goofs that are easier to see on the big screen than on a TV (puppeteer heads and stuff). :stick_out_tongue:

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
I, personally, LOVE midnight movies just because they're midnight movies. I've seen Rocky Horror a bunch of times and I always see my "I HAVE TO SEE THIS MOVIE NOWWWWW" movies at midnight, like the last Pirates movie, all the Harry Potter movies, and even Snakes on a Plane!
Rocky Horror's great. I've seen it twice at a midnight showing, and...

Two years ago, I played Brad in the original musical, The Rocky Horror Show. It was a blast. We played to full houses throughout the run (the auditorium had about 700-750 seats). Fortunately, no one shouted at us from the audience (some of the dialogue in the play is different from that in the movie), and no one called me...well, I'm sure you know what Rocky movie audiences affectionately(?) call Brad.

I'm waiting for the musical version of Snakes on a Plane.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
:sing:
They're snakes on a plane!
Your attempts to escape are all in vain.
They may wrap around you
And cut off all the oxygen to your brian!
:sing:

... yeah, I got nothin'.