Your Thoughts: It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas

tygerbug

Reaction score
I have said this before, and I avoid saying it too much, but man, the JHH .... that show really hit me hard as a kid, I just saw it as being really abnormally unnecessarily amazing. Having seen it again recently, I have to concur that as a kid I was totally right. There's just something about having Jim introduce each episode with that amazing lion, and show you one of his puppets at the end of every episode ... just a perfect host, friendly, warm-hearted, and full of surprises.

I felt that despite the lack of a lot of great classic Muppets (especially the Electric Mayhem ... who might have returned had the show continued, since Zoot and I think Animal did make an appearance), this show was the direction the Muppets needed to go in, and haven't done since ... we should be technologically amazed by what the JHC has come up with now. There should be great songs, great edgy comedy (often courtesy of Chris Langham), and, yes, creature shop stuff. In the JHH, the Muppets and the creature shop became one. You could tell that the Muppet designs were becoming cooler all the time ... you wouldn't see a Muppet like, say, Leon or Digit today. Leon looks like something out of Dinosaurs and has a polished look to him ... since Henson's passing, new Muppets tend to look rather uninspired and VERY Sesame Street. Not to dis the Sesame Street designs, but that was the first Muppet show, the design style is very simple and appealing to the kid in us, and a Muppet show for all ages just needs to have more "advanced" Muppets in it ... Henson understood this, and you can see that sort of evolution in the Muppets created for the Muppet show ... A puppet like Waldorf is much more complex in sculpture than a "Sesame Street" like design like Johnny Fiama or the Elvis muppets. In the JHH, there was a conscious desire to do all types of Muppets .... I feel the JHH nevertheless had a much more consistent style of puppet than MT, and certainly a better quality of puppet.

And yes, I love the characters. Dave Goelz is a very funny man and Digit is one of his classic characters, one of those Muppets that you can really say that everything he says and does is funny. Bean Bunny also came into his own, he's treated as this famous cute character who everyone hates but who they can't do the show without because he's commercial ... and Bean lords his cuteness over them ... and you get the sense that Bean is sort of a jerk. The combination is just quite funny. Leon and Gonzo made a nice team, since Leon was a perpetual bachelor with a real interest in women but who apparently shared (or didn't mind) Gonzo's love for chickens. There is something really strange about that. Irma seemed like a generic character, but I really took to her .... she had a Scooter like quality working behind the scenes but you knew she worked hard and was sort of in charge, and that the show was in good hands with her and Kermit. I liked Lindbergh a lot, he's basically a replacement for Beauregard, and could have been developed more. A human tends to be ignored on such shows too, but the very funny Chris Langham can't be ignored. The guest stars were also often ignored and abused, and sometimes used very minimally, only to the extent that they would be entertaining, and leave before their welcome wore out. We always got exactly as much of the guest star as we would want. I felt that the song numbers were of a generally higher quality (look at "The Music Keeps Rolling Along" and "Sweet Vacation" -- very catchy stuff), the special effects were excellently used, and the whole enterprise had a feel of quality and experimentation.

What was important about the JHH was that it DIDN'T look backward. It looked forward, presenting a vision of the Muppets as waaaay ahead of their time and at the top of technology ... as indeed the Henson company was at that time. It was not an anachronism, but the tops in Hollywood creature effects, doing the biggest movies.

With the JHH, a lot of people were really tuning in for the second half ... hoping to see another installment of The Storyteller. To enter that amazing fantasy world Henson had created. Of course you're blown away by the first half too, seeing that the Muppets had, at that point, aged incredibly well and maintained that cutting-edge quality.

The Muppets always changed with the times .... they were a side act for Ed Sullivan and Jimmy Dean, and worked well as that .... then became the main event without forgetting that their job was to provide cutting-edge entertainment .... let's face it, what's more visually striking and entertaining ... the ordinary Sonny and Cher variety shows of the 70s, or the Muppet Show? Adults watched the show with their kids, sure, but they couldn't believe what they were seeing either some episodes.

There are uses of today's technology in the VMMCM, but not 1/1000000th of what we would see if Henson were still alive I feel ..... the JHC is not innovating in any way, just trying not to sully the reputation of some beloved characters. They have done very little in recent Muppet projects that is innovative ... and if they did, they might be criticized for it, sure, but this is the problem.

With Jim's passing, the day of puppets being cutting edge special effects died too. And the warmth that had previously gone into puppeteering, the love, died. Today's Muppets are an embattled species, and no amount of merchandising and passable Holiday specials can change that.

People like a character like Pepe because he's fresh and genuinely funny. He's not based on the past of anything, he's just a puppet that Bill is enjoying puppeteering. There was a time when all the Muppets were like that.

Yes, I would rather see Steve Whitmire do Bean Bunny than do Kermit. I'm sorry. I think it's important that someone do Kermit, but not at the expense of characters that he created himself and can do whatever the **** he wants with. (Although I could care less if he did, say, Flash again.) Dave Goelz' Gonzo has changed a LOT over time, and the top-of-his-form Gonzo in MCC is different from the excited, easily entertained, and slightly oblivious Gonzo of JHH, who is VERY different from the shy, depressive, ambitious but self-loathing and very quiet Gonzo of the original Muppet Shows .... a wisp of a weirdo who eventually got enough confidence to become the eccentric geek we know and love today.

Maybe I'm fooled by Eric Jacobson as Fozzie and Piggy because he feels unrestrained and having fun .... Of course, the Fozzie and Piggy Muppets are showcase Muppets, well-designed classic complex characters that stand the test of time.

Sure, nostalgia is good, but my problem with something like VMMCM is that in context of the Muppet Show Muppets I find that nostalgia doesn't last long at all. It seems to do almost nothing actually. Because maybe for me the Muppets are about seeing something you don't see anywhere else. And that's different from seeing something you don't see anywhere else, but that you've seen before.

Writing solves a lot of this, and I feel the writing in something like Muppet Treasure Island was leaps and bounds ahead of most of VMMCM. For purposes of humor anyway. As for visual style, MCC probably came a lot closer to what Henson would have done with the material, with different kinds of Muppets presented in different ways.

Farscape was the last recourse for the fantasy worlds I love so much, and that's going going gone now .... may something else of quality come along.

People dis Crank Yankers a lot on this forum, and sure it's a bad show, but the main reason it's so easy to dis it is because the puppets suck.

I hope to see an original and consistent style develop in the next Muppet tv series, with characters from all stages of the Muppets' history, and new characters who can come into the foreground, are well designed and original and don't look like any other Muppet, and are FUNNY, played by funny people.

We shall see.

the_great_gonzo

Reaction score
Man JHH sounds like a great show. Unfortunately, I was too young to enjoy it. I was 3 when it aired and I think I only saw one episode if any. I'm interested in seeing the show and finding out more about it because the characters sound really great but hey what are you going to do?

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
I don't think Jonny has a Sesame Street feel, but i DO think the three Elvis muppethave a very Sesame Street feel, along with many of the human muppets in the beging.

But i would say the Burl Ives clone was a snowman rather then a monster.

I think Kermit's voice really shines in this movie, at the end thought you here A LOT of Rizzo in kermit's laughing, but i think this specail is very henson like, not exact! but had many henson like moments, i also think kermit looked more like Jim's kermit in this movie at certain time example when kermit is watching gonzo sing, also the full body kermit standing in the snow.

i just found Sam's voice very bad, scooter was great, janice was liveable and piggy and fozzie were amazing, even though Lew's voice seemed a little werid, it still feel's like lew and his personality and tone.

i also wish there was more of the chirstmas show, like how kermit comments miss piggy and that she has to get ready for her next number, we don't get to see that next number, it would have been nice to see more of the classic muppets do stuff on stage, like a segment with Sam, and bunsen and beaker, and the chef. Rizzo could have been used a little more too.

also it would have been nice to see a few more muppets in the world with out kermit.

i think the movie needed a little more writen into it, but i would perfer watching this movie then MTI, MCC, or MFS as i find it better then all three.

there were only about four non-muppet muppets as i call them in the film rather then a bunch or no-name, no speices muppets like in MCC, or MTI. the four were Poodle pants, Howard the pig, Lester the scary blinking eye muppet(seen in the back ground) and the dead beat rock group non EM human Muppet(also seen in the back ground) oh yeah and the Elivs muppets and a few human muppets in the beging)

beaker

Reaction score
For the record, the JHH is my favorite version of a Muppet Show...and yes that includes TMS, and MT. While TMS was great, and I was fortunate to see the last season in its original airings...
JHH was such an amazingly ahead of its time, and truly edgy show. It was made in the last great era of the Muppets, and featured a brave new focus on technology and ideas.

I mean who would have thought creature shop meets traditional Muppets would look so cool?

And the concepts, characters...in 1999 the Matrix came out, but in 1989 JHH was reflecting these 'cyberpunk' William Gibson ideas with neural jacks, computer control rooms, etc. And this was all before the internet and everything. Not to mention JHH had over the top inuendo a good 12 and a half years before VMC but more tasefully done.

And the Song of the Rainforest...wow. JHH was the last JHC production that trulyhad some inspiring tunes.

Then somehow by MT JHC went to this Sesame look. Look at the beginning of VMC...all the street people are basically anything Muppets out of Sesame. The Elvises for instance pretty much are Sesame.

So weird how JHH was too ahead of its time, then 7 years later MT was not so ahead of its time. Though I love MT...I mean it bore Pepe. Also Im confused...at Muppetfest they showed off 'virtual Muppets' in real time...though over a decade before on the Secrets Behind JHH they showed virtually the exact same technology with Waldo which looked pretty similair.
Anyways, just hope they mix up the edginess of JHH, with some new ideas and a slight hint back toward TMS on the new show.

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
Crazy Harry

This term confusses me. What exactly makes a Muppet 'Non-Muppet'ish?
you want a list?

it means that it's face looks like it was beated with a two by four

it mean's in most cases it's NOT an animal or monster muppet

it means the character has an ugly(but not cool
monster/creature) face, i mean "ugly"

it mean's you don't care if you ever see this charcter again and wish you never saw himin the first place

it mean's that he/she will never become a fan favorite or main charcter

it mean's that if the character was about to be thrown into the fire place...you would not save it....

Zack)Rowkf the, oh there's more....Dog

Then somehow by MT JHC went to this Sesame look. Look at the beginning of VMC...all the street people are basically anything Muppets out of Sesame.
oh yeah, they had ugly faces alright, thankgoodness for the rats and penguins...and even real human people too!

Crazy Harry

Reaction score
From your describtion, you could just as easily refer to them as 'just plane bad'.

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
no,no,no it's very important that i say how much i dislike them, it's gotta be the total opisit of my love for the "real" muppets like Kermit, Rowlf, Janice,Gobo,Oscar and yes even Crazy Harry.

And we all know hom much we can say about how much we love them, can't i say how much i dislike that little child non muppet muppet in the beging that wipes his nose while looking at the toy train in the window?:big_grin:

Zack)Rowlf the, aww, i'm staring to feel a little bad for them now,Dog.

Chilly Down

Reaction score
I agree. The "Anything Muppets" in that beginning looked pretty generic, even for Anything Muppets. I would have rather see Link or some other character walking in the background. They went out of their way to BUILD these boring characters that no one will see again!

JHH's puppets were such an artistic triumph. I guess because of its failure, that's why they went "retro" with the MT characters. But I wish they'd return to a more complex style myself.

BTW, Cory, I like your idea too. I'm not sure an arty Muppet film is what's needed right now, but it's an intriguing idea and I'd like to see it someday. As long as it's not Cirque de Lame! :stick_out_tongue:

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by Chilly Down

BTW, Cory, I like your idea too. I'm not sure an arty Muppet film is what's needed right now, but it's an intriguing idea and I'd like to see it someday. As long as it's not Cirque de Lame! :stick_out_tongue:
Thanks Tom! Btw, it would'nt really be an 'artsy' film per say, but a sweeping visionary epic like Lawrence of Arabia or English Patient meets Being John Malkovich and What Dreams May Come. Ok, maybe that is a bit arty.

Btw, just heard from JHC this morning about my movie idea!
I'll post that on here soon.