Dark Crystal sequel may be headed to DVD

Robin

Reaction score
I just saw Brian Henson at the AFI theatre talking about the future of digital puppetry. While the focus was on the new technology Henson and his team have developed for Sid the Science Kid (which looks very high quality by the way, and has now been playing about 3 weeks on PBS), he did field other questions. He was not allowed to divulge much about Dark Crystal 2, but he did STRONGLY indicate that the movie will be high-quality, and will use the latest in animatronic technology. So for those of you worried that the quality would suffer, you can breathe a collective sigh of relief. They're taking their time with this one to ensure that it is good. Henson said it himself. I heard him. I'm not so worried anymore.
That is great! news:smile:

JustListen

Reaction score
I just saw Brian Henson at the AFI theatre talking about the future of digital puppetry. While the focus was on the new technology Henson and his team have developed for Sid the Science Kid (which looks very high quality by the way, and has now been playing about 3 weeks on PBS), he did field other questions. He was not allowed to divulge much about Dark Crystal 2, but he did STRONGLY indicate that the movie will be high-quality, and will use the latest in animatronic technology. So for those of you worried that the quality would suffer, you can breathe a collective sigh of relief. They're taking their time with this one to ensure that it is good. Henson said it himself. I heard him. I'm not so worried anymore.
Are you serious? What a relief! Is that all he said? Nothing about a theatrical premeir?
Take it away, Beeker! :eek::eek::eek:

MGCJerry

Reaction score
That's great news. I feel a lot better after reading this.

However, my only remaining questions are:
1. Is this still set to be straight to DVD?
2. Will it really be out in 2009?

JMPrater

Reaction score
Dabauckham can you tell us if Henson mentioned if the sequel will be out in 2009? I some how think that they will unveil a teaser trailer around Christmas, it would make good sense. Here's hoping.

Robin

Reaction score
The best christmas present I could get this year! Besides a hopefuly getting a good president, is for the muppets to return with excellent quality! that would make me soooooo happy! I love these wacky creatures!:crazy:

stephenjlizard

Reaction score
Well Robin, I hate to tell you that no matter who wins, we're not getting a good President :smile:

dabauckham

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Sorry, I've been neglecting muppetcentral for a while. Brian Henson was not at liberty to say when DC2 will be released. When asked how long it would be until relase, he kind of smiled, looked down and said "A while." So, my guess is that we'll be lucky for it to come out in 2009, and it could possibly be 2010. He definitely wanted to stress that it was about quality and not rushing to release something crappy. I'd think we'd all agree that that's the most important thing here. We don't want a cheaply done all-CG sequel, and that's definitely NOT where the movie is headed. Modern animatronics will be stressed and CG will only be used sparingly (if at all).

Henson didn't say much else - I think his publicist (or someone) must have been sitting near the front and instructed him to be pretty tight-lipped about it all. But suffice it to say, he seemed genuinely excited about the project, which is very promising. Jane Henson was in the audience too, which was pretty cool (she didn't say anything though)

There was no word on the direct-to-DVD question, but as of right now, I'd pretty much dismiss that as a rumor until and unless there is more proof. One old report on a website does not a fact make. :smile:

Hopefully the economic situation the world finds itself in these days will not effect anything about DC2's production, but sadly, there's always that possibility too. Anyway, chin up people! Let's hope for the best.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
It appears that this is a particular pet project of Brian Henson's. That means it is likely to come out...eventually. I guess these things take time. :scary:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well Robin, I hate to tell you that no matter who wins, we're not getting a good President :smile:
How true that is. :wink:

"Going to the candidates' debate,
Laugh about it, shout about it
and when you've got to choose,
everyway you look at this you lose."