Weinstein rolls with Fraggle Rock movie

Drtooth

Reaction score
I agree we still have the show and all, but nothing wrong with a new project to get some fresh blood (or in our case foam) out there into the world. I still think the movie can happen... Henson may just have to look towards another distributor is all else fails. Again, they should keep REALLY close to Lionsgate for the time being. They seem to have the muscle to help distribute it, but not as much pull as an A-list studio, so you know there won't be too much meddling with the script.

Henson is itching to get this out into the world. I know it, and I can feel it. it just might get delayed a little. I still say they need to work harder with these projects and put the Unstable Fables and stuff like that on the back burner.

Nick22

Reaction score
yeah. the show will always be there, it's not like we're being left with nothing. but i agree with drtooth, a new project would be beyond awesome. i'm just gonna try to think positively. my math teacher always tells me that positive thinking makes life better.so i'm gonna try to block out all of the possible bad outcomes, and focus on all the good ones.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I just think we need a Fraggle Rock movie. We got 6 theatrical Muppet Show movies, 3 Telefilm/DTV movies, and 2 Sesame Street movies. We don't wanna be this close and have it all be for nothing. I still say henson should seek other options just in case. They NEED this film, as well as DC2. I think they have a solid foothold on new projects... but they need something big and major market to really take off. And these 2 movies are just what the company needs. Sure, Sid and Dinosaur Train looks successful enough, but all we're really seeing take off is digital puppetry and DTV CGI films.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Fraggle Rock is the greatest property the Henson Company still owns that both best defines Jim Henson's world view and the most lovable, but JHC has seen fit to keep it in the niche-cult-nostalgia category. After the Disney sale of the Muppets, Fraggle Rock should have immediately gone into development for some sort of project. This movie should have already happened and the Fraggles should be the chosen icon of the Jim Henson Company. :coy:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Seems like that's something they wanted to do. I think the sale of the Muppet Show muppets to Disney was the best thing that could have happened to Henson. it frees them so they can handle Fraggle Rock, the Creature Shop, and new projects. The problem is they just do too darn much now, and half the projects they announce just don't get too far off the ground. I think they should just focus on a few core projects (the movies being the major focuses). Again, they're doing well with Sid, and I'm sure Dinosaur train will hit big... but how many online series and late night projects have they came up with that we've yet to see?

And I agree... they should have done something as soon as the check cleared. The problem is that they had to take their time to think about what needed to happen with what. We got word that there was a treatment for a Fraggle Movie pretty long ago... a couple years went buy before they got a writer, and the script kept getting rewrites and held up... now this financial problem with Weinstien comes up (not really Henson's fault).

What I've noticed is ever since the Smurf movie and Marvin the Martian movie have been announced, there was a sharp increase in Smurf merchandise, and Marvin the Martian is being put on some of the first retail available LT t-shirts since 2003. The DVD's have been out for a while, with the 4th season finally getting released... but we really should have gotten those MindStyle figures by now (I blame the economy on the strategic "postponement"). There was announcement of a CGI Doozer show that hasn't gotten anywhere in months. Hyping the movie up before it even got made would have given it the necessary boost for the main public. I just hope those comics happen. Look what comics did for the Muppets.

Quazimoto

Reaction score
Fraggle Rock is the greatest property the Henson Company still owns that both best defines Jim Henson's world view and the most lovable, but JHC has seen fit to keep it in the niche-cult-nostalgia category. After the Disney sale of the Muppets, Fraggle Rock should have immediately gone into development for some sort of project. This movie should have already happened and the Fraggles should be the chosen icon of the Jim Henson Company. :coy:

I totally agree... I've always thought that Fraggle Rock was the one property in the Jim Henson group that stood above all the others. While I haven't really disliked any of the Henson films/shows/goodness the Fraggles just seemed to have the aura about them that the others didn't.

I also agree that a movie should have already happened... I honestly couldn't have seen a better time for one that the Fraggle's 25th anniversary year that was last. I do hope that we eventually see the Fraggles hit the big screen and I hope they retain the same (or similar to) magic which was so prevelant in the show. But, if it never happens at least we still do have the show. They can't take that away from us.

Traveling Matt

Reaction score
It sounds like folks are getting a little ahead of the game here. As far as we know, the movie is still going forward with the Weinsteins.

I have no reason to doubt the parties involved until we hear of a change in plans.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
It sounds like folks are getting a little ahead of the game here. As far as we know, the movie is still going forward with the Weinsteins.

I have no reason to doubt the parties involved until we hear of a change in plans.
Basically, the studio releasing the Fraggle movie is in deep trouble and needs a hit in order to make any future films. I have faith in the Fraggle film, but I am still concerned. :coy:

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Basically, the studio releasing the Fraggle movie is in deep trouble and needs a hit in order to make any future films. I have faith in the Fraggle film, but I am still concerned. :coy:
I was watching MSNBC in my dorm room today (nothing else was on...) and they had a big segment about how Brad Pitt and Inglorious could "save" Hollywood. I assume they see it as the next/final blockbuster of this summer, which can mean nothing but good things for Gobo and the gang. Let's hope the public agrees. :attitude: