Stephen King's "It"

SSLFan

Reaction score
Has anyone ever seen this movie? It has Tim Curry, Tim Reid, John Ritter, and other stars in it. I'm not usually a big fan of horror films, but this one I can make an exception...It's so freakin' AWSOME! It's one of those movies that everytime it comes on televison, I can't help but watch it. And Tim Curry makes one of the best villians(as others have said).

It's funny knowing that the bad guy also sailed to treasure island with the muppets. :big_grin:

Has anyone else seen "It"?

Colbynfriends

Reaction score
I have IT on DVD, its awsome! Read the book too, that was good too.

Pork

Reaction score
nope...never seen it...or read the book. I get scared enough seeing the DVD cover!

Libba Yuki

Reaction score
I've seen most of it, bits and peices scattered about. I would always start watching it at a bad time and would never get to finish it in one viewing (but have seen the whole thing, just out of order).

I really liked it.

I wouldn't mind getting the book someday and reading it (I love Stephen King's older works), my folks say that it had the potential of being his best work...until he lost steam near the end anyway.

monster maker

Reaction score
I love it,i made a pennywise mask last year for halloween, scared all the kids!

Frogster

Reaction score
The book is really good, but for those of you older folks in the crowd, if you've read the book and liked it, don't see the movie; it'll sorta drop the reading value of the book. The movie is an embarrassment. Both IT and The Stand are great books, but don't see the movie it was based off of. It'll ruin how u felt about the books.

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
Yeah, I find the book more frightening, actually. Of course a lot was left out: a 4-hour TV movie with commercials vs. a book that runs over 1,000 pages.

A lot of secondary characters, subplots and situations are left out. Even some of It's more interesting guises are lost: in the novel, It also appears as Michael Landon's Teenage Werewolf, from the 1957 film, I Was a Teenage Werewolf, the Frankenstein monster and the Creature from the Black Lagoon.

Fans of the tv film should check out the book, for more on the Losers' backstorys, and much more mayhem caused by It...

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I saw the movie a very long time ago. Tim Curry is excellent from what I remember. But I'm now considering reading the book after hearing the thoughts expressed in this thread. It's been enough time since I viewed the miniseries (that was before much of my misspent youth and shed brain cells :cool:) so it will almost be like going into it fresh. I saw enough evil clowns in said misspent youth so that could be getting confused with bits in the movie. :wink:

(an added word - I'm feeling much better now and um...We all float down here! Eeeek!)

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
Both IT and The Stand are great books, but don't see the movie it was based off of. It'll ruin how u felt about the books.
I too was disappointed in the TV version of The Stand. Again: epic novel, not enough time to get everything in...

Although I wish George Romero had the backing to do his version; King wrote a screenplay in the early 80s, for Romero to direct (after they collaborated on Creepshow). King even suggested casting Christopher Walken as Randall Flagg, but nothing ever came of the project; the made for TV film was based on another screenplay (teleplay, I guess)...

I also wish there was a definitive film version of 'Salem's Lot. Both TV movies based on the novel take liberties, but both have things to recommend. Again, the novel was originally set to be a major motion picture, with a first-class horror director (Tobe Hooper) helming; Hooper did direct the film, but it was ultimately made into a two-part TV movie, with at least one major movie star (James Mason) and a then-popular TV actor (David Soul) in the leads.