Couldn't Kermit be the face of all of the Muppets ?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
True. Maybe they should remove it and relocate it to Disneyland and the Jim Henson Company could get another of their characters to take off Charlie Chaplain.I wonder, which of the current JHC characters, would make a good Charlie chaplain? Maybe Hoggle, or Gobo Fraggle or maybe even Jim Henson himself.
Why? It was part of the deal struck with Disney that they keep the statue. It's a little bit of Kermit the Henson Company can keep. I think people are over thinking this. Disney, Henson and Kermit have no problem with it. Why should anyone else? It might confuse a person here or there, but it doesn’t weaken any of the brands and it could open up a discussion of Muppets. That’s a good thing. Leave the statue alone. :smile:

Luke

Reaction score
Why? It was part of the deal struck with Disney that they keep the statue. It's a little bit of Kermit the Henson Company can keep. I think people are over thinking this. Disney, Henson and Kermit have no problem with it. Why should anyone else? It might confuse a person here or there, but it doesn’t weaken any of the brands and it could open up a discussion of Muppets. That’s a good thing. Leave the statue alone. :smile:
Exactly, the statue is local - stuff like the logos are worldwide. Two different things entirely. Anyway there are actual archived Muppets inside Henson HQ and in Henson exhibits, i'm glad at least it seems Disney are ok to acknowledge the Muppets heritage.

If they ever try to remove that statue .. i'm chaining myself to it! :zany::eek:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Exactly, the statue is local - stuff like the logos are worldwide. Two different things entirely. Anyway there are actual archived Muppets inside Henson HQ and in Henson exhibits, i'm glad at least it seems Disney are ok to acknowledge the Muppets heritage.

If they ever try to remove that statue .. i'm chaining myself to it! :zany::eek:
Me too! I do wish the Henson name had a greater, higher profile connection to the Muppet Show gang these days, but we know the score. If they ever made a Disney's Muppets logo - I'd be very upset. Didn't they try to do that sort of thing with the original merger?

Luke

Reaction score
If they ever made a Disney's Muppets logo - I'd be very upset. Didn't they try to do that sort of thing with the original merger?
Yes i think i remember that too. Thankfully this time around they established "Muppet Studios". It's probably for business reasons to seperate the Muppets from Mickey & Co incase they fell into debt or something but it also does give them their own individual identity. I remember EMTV also tried at one point to stamp their brand over the characters but it never got off the ground - even if the Muppets aren't on every kids christmas list they are such a well known name i think people will always associate them with Henson no matter what .. but yes it would be great if there could be more acknowledgement of Jim Henson. Hopefully in the credits of any TV show or Movie they will add something to the opening titles.

muppetperson

Reaction score
Because of the confusion issue.People see kermit out the front and go on a Tour of the studio lot and are disapointed to see no muppets, a la Jason Segel.Although one good thing to come out of that is the push for a new muppet movie.Disneyland would be a great spot for the Statue because Tourists from all over the world go there, but not necessarily go past the Henson lot.And what not a better tribute than to have a Statue of Jim Henson himself, so people know what he looked like, to replace it.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Because of the confusion issue.People see kermit out the front and go on a Tour of the studio lot and are disapointed to see no muppets, a la Jason Segel.Although one good thing to come out of that is the push for a new muppet movie.Disneyland would be a great spot for the Statue because Tourists from all over the world go there, but not necessarily go past the Henson lot.And what not a better tribute than to have a Statue of Jim Henson himself, so people know what he looked like, to replace it.
That's an unnecessary rigid view. The Disney parks already have a great deal of Muppet statues, fountains. There's also a Jim Henson & the Muppets sculpture at the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences Hall of Fame Plaza in North Hollywood, California and a park bench sculpture of Kermit & Jim at University of Maryland.

I like the Tramp-style Kermit at the gate. Charlie Chaplin is no longer owner of the studio, but he's part of the history just like Kermit is part of Henson's history. That's the meaning behind the placement and design of that particular sculpture. I think it fits perfectly. There's no need to uproot it. Should everything be modified when history changes? Of course not.

I would support adding more sculptures of Jim, Kermit and his Muppet and creature creations everywhere. That doesn't mean moving or altering the elegant ones that already exist.

The Kermit statue gives that studio a sense of history. Considering all that Kermit the Frog has been chopped out of classic Henson productions it's good they get to keep this one. It's not hurting anyone. :smile:

Most people think that Disney purchased the Muppets back in 1990 and has owned them ever since. People aren't really being confused by the statue. Who cares?

goshposh

Reaction score
When I first saw this topic i thought, it would be weird if all the muppets had kermit's face

Beauregard

Reaction score
When I first saw this topic i thought, it would be weird if all the muppets had kermit's face
Although they did all turn into Chickens once...

I agree with Froggyboy about the Kermit statue. Why move it? It stands to speak of all that's gone before.

I do find it sad that Jim Henson's signiture is less associated with the Muppets now, because I always felt that his signiture was as classic as Walt Disneys and it really gave the Muppet logo's heart and feeling. I always knew there was a person behind the Muppets, giving them their creativity and style and so on, which gave the Muppets another layer...to me. I always dreamt of one day meeting the man behind them, as well as meeting them themselves.

Kermit is great, don't get me wrong, but he's not the be-all and end-all of the Muppets. Jim Henson is.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I still wish they hammered out a Fair use of Kermit clause when they sold them to Disney. Something where he could still be the logo for the Jim Henson company, and his appearances could be more easily negotiated between Sesame Workshop and Disney. Disney would still have ownership, and merchandising rights, but Henson could still use Kermit's likeness as a logo.

Luke

Reaction score
I still wish they hammered out a Fair use of Kermit clause when they sold them to Disney. Something where he could still be the logo for the Jim Henson company, and his appearances could be more easily negotiated between Sesame Workshop and Disney. Disney would still have ownership, and merchandising rights, but Henson could still use Kermit's likeness as a logo.
I don't really agree .. i think it would be really confusing. I think the issue is more about Jim Henson (the person) still being seen to have a visible connection with the Muppets, rather than Henson (the company). Henson produce all kinds of stuff nowdays that Jim Henson has had nothing to do with at all.

I would have liked to see a deal where his signature remains on all the Muppet logos.