Speculation: Fraggle Rock Comics Coming Soon?

muppetperson

Reaction score
If this does indeed happen, who might be publishing it? It would be cool if Boom had some sort of sublicense that included other non-Disney projects. They've done a marvelous job with the Muppets so far. It makes me wonder, however, if Tokyopop is planning it, since they have a better relationship with Henson.

But you know, anything to keep the franchise going so the movie goes forward, and gets all the publicity it can until then.
Boom comics already has a non Disney comic-Farscape, which is also Henson, so the relationship is already there.But it looks like it is Archaia studios.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I just hope it isn't Fraggle manga. Ick. :smirk:
I find the interior artiwork for the Dark Crystal and Labyrinth to be pretty bad. That is why I bought one and then stayed away. Far, far away. There's no lack of talented Muppet/Henson property artists as we have seen recently with many of the Boom covers. I hope the Fraggles follow that a bit more closely. However, if they do go the manga route, it is my hope they find better artists than the disappointing Tokyo Pop stuff.

You know what I really disliked about Tokyopop? they have to be the only manga publishing company that has more American and Korean manga than American. If I want to read something Japanese, I'll read something that's really Japanese. Plus, I think Fraggle Rock would benefit from a full color comic. Having a black and white graphic novel doesn't suit it at all. I'm talking about the FR comics needing to be akin to Scrooge McDuck or Asterix comics, with lush, full color backgrounds.

Boom comics already has a non Disney comic-Farscape, which is also Henson, so the relationship is already there.But it looks like it is Archaia studios.
Good to know. Hopefully we'll see that and not the other thing. Remember when all the comic book companies used to publish kid's comics based on other properties? Marvel did some great stuff in the 80's and early 90's. Now those days are gone, and kid's comics are delegated to kiddy friendly versions of superheroes, or odd comic adaptions of cartoons based on comic books. That's why I like Boom.... not just for their Muppet stuff, but their Pixar stuff as well. I wanna see that sort of quality here. And I really want to see Amy do a cover.

Redsonga

Reaction score
You know what I really disliked about Tokyopop? they have to be the only manga publishing company that has more American and Korean manga than American. If I want to read something Japanese, I'll read something that's really Japanese.
Well, I like Tokyopop just fine, I can't read japanese and they help with that :smile:. I've been with them since MIXX magazine. They focus has always been mainly japanese manga anyway, and I am glad they are staying true to their roots. I do get Coro Coro, but there is something to be said for actually being able to read as well as look at a manga series :3.
If I want something non-Japanese I would read those other companies, but I am more likely to just find buckets of American manga on internet webcomics (for free) than anywhere else :smile:.
But I find that even though I don't pay much mind to what nation a manga is from most of the ones I really like end up being from Japan. *shrug* I guess I'm just an old fangirl :3, I'm happy we get anything at all (although since I like magical girl, happy slice of life, and popular video game and toy based manga I guess I am not as 'serious' as some older fans, but I have been a fan since the mid-90's and an anime one since the 80's)
Plus, I think Fraggle Rock would benefit from a full color comic. Having a black and white graphic novel doesn't suit it at all. I'm talking about the FR comics needing to be akin to Scrooge McDuck or Asterix comics, with lush, full color backgrounds.
All and all I would not have any problem with the fraggles being in manga style, I've seen it done very well on DA, and there is more that one style within that to :smile:.
Plus, if they were done in one style for the stories and another very detailed almost realistic style for chapter dividers and comic covers that would work to IMHO...

But all and all I think they are much more likely to do something in the same cartoony style as the old comics (in color) and mix them with a tiny bit of a manga feeling in the background...

Foodie, I've always thought of your style with fraggles as semi-manga-y for what it is worth:3 MOst of all in how you do hair...There are really so many different types of it...

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
I find the interior artiwork for the Dark Crystal and Labyrinth to be pretty bad. That is why I bought one and then stayed away. Far, far away. There's no lack of talented Muppet/Henson property artists as we have seen recently with many of the Boom covers. I hope the Fraggles follow that a bit more closely. However, if they do go the manga route, it is my hope they find better artists than the disappointing Tokyo Pop stuff.
Yeah, the artwork is terrible, distractingly so. There must've been dozens of able and willing artists to choose from, so why did they go with this person? At the back of one of the issues they have some guest artwork, most 10 times better than what's used for the story - why didn't they pick one of them! And Tokyopop takes over a year just to release each issue - it would break my heart to see Fraggle Rock get the same fate.

Fraggle Rock is also best portrayed in color, I think. It's part of their being. With Labyrinth it's not so bad to be in B&W because all the colors were pretty muted and dull, anyway.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I do get Coro Coro, but there is something to be said for actually being able to read as well as look at a manga series :3.
Oh man... that's the one Doraemon is published in, right? I thumbed through that and it's basically a video game comics type magazine. I always saw it at the Japanese Grocers (before a certain university bought up the whole town and forced them out of business), and every single time I was about to get them, they didn't have them. And when I had no money, they always had them. You got any of the issues with Boyaki (of Yatterman) on it (dude that looks exactly like Warluigi, wears goggles and a odd green helmet?)

Anyway...
All and all I would not have any problem with the fraggles being in manga style, I've seen it done very well on DA, and there is more that one style within that to :smile:.
Plus, if they were done in one style for the stories and another very detailed almost realistic style for chapter dividers and comic covers that would work to IMHO...
I have to say this... Fraggles... Tensai Bakabon / Osomatuskun style Fraggle comics.... I'd buy those up.

The problem with manga/anime in the US is that when people are looking for the influence, they basically just say... Oh, Dragon Ball Z, Bi-shonen... and take a generic watered down version of the look. But then I see people who have an obvious Eastern influence that don't just pilfer stuff, but digest how it works, mixes it together and creates a style all their own. Look at Muppet Robin Hood... especially Janice, and tell me that there isn't a little hint of Eastern style in her, all the while keeping a nice Western style. Funny thing, though... American comics are looking Japanese, and Japanese comics are looking American (but the latter usually knows about digesting it easier)... Naruto and Bleach look very American (provided you read the manga).

But I think when it comes to Fraggles, I want someone who was a Barksist. The caves of the rock, the Gorg's garden... even if they add in the mundane workshop of Doc and Sprocket... they need to have lush, big backgrounds as much as they need to get the looks of the Fraggles right. Graphic novel style black and white wouldn't work with Fraggles at all. Maybe as a series of short comic newspaper strips (ala the Muppet comics from the 80's). But they need that Carl Barks/Asterix style to them. That's the only way they can successfully capture the magic.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
The only time Fraggle comics should be black and white is if the gag is that the Cave Fraggles are in charge.

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
^ If those other, dull Fraggles on the other side of the rock (or wherever they are, I can't remember) were in charge it would probably be a beige color or something :wink:

grail

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that those that are worried it's going to be manga are worrying for nothing.

Arachia is the company making the noise, so you can bet they'd be the one doing the publishing. They have not, to date, done any type of manga. Their biggest comic so far has been Mouse Guard, by Dave Peterson, who is actually doing some of the Muppet Robin Hood covers. Mouse Guard is a great book too, btw, and I highly recommend it!