eFX Collectibles to produce Muppet Replicas

What Muppet Replica do you want the most?

• Rizzo the Rat

Votes: 44 13.9%
  • Miss Piggy

Votes: 79 25.0%
  • Pepe the King Prawn

Votes: 42 13.3%
  • Fozzie Bear

Votes: 151 47.8%

• Total voters

muppetperson

Reaction score
Just noticed eFX have partially updated their website.They have added the latest news of the Evil Queen's Heart box and a D23 logo/link.They still havent put room for the 2010 newsletters in the community tab.Maybe they arent aware of it or cant get into it?
It would also be nice if they removed the Darth Vader helmet picture in the coming soon boxes(as it is now sold out) and put a picture of Rizzo there.

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
I'll preface this by saying that everyone is entitled to set the maximum price that they're willing to pay for a Muppet replica (or for anything for that matter.) I'm not judging anyone, but collectibles are expensive.

eFX is asking $800 for that Snow White heart box. At $400, Rizzo would be an absolute steal. He's much more complicated to build than that box.

Again, if it's out of your price range, that's totally understandable. I just think they're aiming these at the high-priced collector's and not necessarily at the average Muppet fan. As much as I'm sure they would like everyone that wants one to have one, it's just not feasible.

:stick_out_tongue:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I'll preface this by saying that everyone is entitled to set the maximum price that they're willing to pay for a Muppet replica (or for anything for that matter.) I'm not judging anyone, but collectibles are expensive.

eFX is asking $800 for that Snow White heart box. At $400, Rizzo would be an absolute steal. He's much more complicated to build than that box.

Again, if it's out of your price range, that's totally understandable. I just think they're aiming these at the high-priced collector's and not necessarily at the average Muppet fan. As much as I'm sure they would like everyone that wants one to have one, it's just not feasible.

Yeah, I work in different areas of collectibles and have always understood that, but - -
EFX should do and are doing their best to consider all of us fans who did support the MR posers in the first place.

It's amazing these aren't ten times more, but the market and costs are what they are. We'll see what happens. It's impossible to predict.

I just wish that if this price point was always going to be a factor that they'd started with the bear or the pig and left these other ones for later.

Ignohippo

Reaction score
As usual, I agree with you Jamie.

Isn't it ironic that the Bear could be priced at twice as much and would probably sell more units?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
As usual, I agree with you Jamie.

Isn't it ironic that the Bear could be priced at twice as much and would probably sell more units?
Personally, I'd like to collect them all if possible. Starting at such a high price for a lesser needed character puts someone like me in the position of thinking that if I do buy Rizzo that I might not be able to afford characters like Fozzie and Piggy later. However, if I don't buy him and support the line it might not continue. It's not a complaint as much as a concern. I really want these. I've even dynamically displayed my MR posers in the San Francisco toy shop I manage, but few people express interest in actually purchasing them and we get *a lot* of high-end, niche collectors from all over the world. Guess I just feel troubled by this perspective.

Andibcool

Reaction score

Well tell you what. 800$ for a box even gold plated ( cost not that much ) and two statures is ripping collectors off.
Even the preorder tactics non refundable 200$ makes this company not any sympatic.
I was already wondereing about the other prices of there stuff.
There is no reason to be that expensive for thouse items.
Sure they might find some buyers but the price is really questionable. I think even 200$ is way to much for stuff like this.
Ok granted i havnt seen much of the box yet but this would be only worth 100$-170$ to me maybe.
If they make money that way fine for em, but they could make much more with realistic prices.
Beside that most items they have are well niche products.
The helmets might be ok, prices are questionable for em too.
The Nemo submarine look good but as i see it its only a expensive model kit. Same for the starwars ships, you can get the almost the same way cheaper from some japanese Model kit companys.

As for Rizzo, well i already lost most interest in him. You surly see no progress in him and no real confirmed informations as well.
They do anounce a lot stuff but then it takes already almost 9 months and they dont come out with anything new about Rizzo.

What a dissapointment. The next we will see would be Rizzo will cost 400$ non refundable preorder deposit while final cost is 2500$.

MuppetCaper

Reaction score
I have been with eFX and MR for many years. Since the beginning they have always put out high quality items. These are not just model kits, or stuffed animals. Other companies that put out prop replicas are not any different than MR or eFX when it comes to high end collectibles. You got to look at it from there point. They are trying to make it as reasonable as they can within a price point. They say if your not happy with the price, don't get it. These are from the real patterns that was used to make the original prop. They go through extensive research to get it exactly like the original. Same materials etc. It's not just thrown together then slap a price on it to make a profit. I know for a fact that Bryan and the gang at eFX does this as a passion for the fans who really would like to add these fine collectibles to there collection and they want to do it right. Give them some slack and appreciate what they have to offer. It may be taking forever to get these items out, but my pocket is thanking them for me to save up the money to get them as well. Also if you really think abou it.... if you have a collecting hobby, I am sure you know that for something rare and considered as a collectible it is never cheap when it is hard to find or limited. So why would this be any different.

Andibcool

Reaction score
See there are two types of collectibles.
Type 1 is the most common one, item that start at a normal price and become more expensive because, of limitation, availeby, age or highly sought after ( because of the 1st reasons ).

Type 2 is the overpriced item that you wont see often because the price is questionable ( what u get for ur money ) and only a few people will have it.

While type 1 will usually rise more in price because of the rareness, type 2 can rise of fall in price.
Especialy when a limited amout is made like 2000 pieces and you find only buyers for 500 pieces because of the high price, the price will go down. Take the MR Muppet replicas as exsample.
So basicly collectors that bought the replicas at high release price got screwed.

Also basicly a Muppet replica is nothing more then an more or less accurate stuffed animal with some wires inside too.
They are high quality sure and yes i got em for a reasonable price ( and thats was not really cheap for me ).

Now take the Replicas of the nautilus or the star wars spaceships.
Basicly they are high quality painted model kits. I really dont know what material they made from but even if they did use metal parts, i say go take a look at the price of diecast 1:18 Modelcars. Also there are high quality modelkits availble in japan for most star wars spaceships.

The high price comes basicly from the selfmade limitation or because there is not much interest in the items that a bigger batch seems not worthwhile.

For me its a difference if a item is high priced because it got rare, or its high priced because it was made rare.

Also no need to tell me "if you dont like the price then dont get it". I simply wont get it even if i could afford it, because some stuff is just not worth the money even if its superaccurate.
I understand for some really nice items the price is high and if someone want it bad he will pay almost every price.

As for the Hartbox for 800$ well ok its solid rosewood but it dont seem that big. Not really sure if that is worth 800$. Not for me anyway.

Ignohippo

Reaction score
Wow, oh wow.

There's a huge difference between a replica and a model kit (or a replica and a stuffed animal). A true replica is something that's made from original plans or diagrams accurately matching the source model (or in this case, muppet). It uses the same materials and should be barely distinguishable from the source item. They are generally handmade in small quantities and not mass-produced. Model kits and stuffed animals are generally produced in mass quantities, are not identical to the source item, and are made as cheaply as possibly to maximize profits.

Try finding someone to create a completely accurate replica of a muppet or Star Wars ship. Chances are (a) you couldn't find someone with that level of skill, (b) you wouldn't be able to get ahold of the original plans, patterns or schematics for the item, and (c) if you did, the price would almost certainly cost much, much more than what eFX is charging.

If you feel it's the same thing to display a model kit or stuffed animal as it is to own a replica, then more power to you. You'll save a lot of money.

Andibcool

Reaction score
Wow, oh wow.

There's a huge difference between a replica and a model kit (or a replica and a stuffed animal). A true replica is something that's made from original plans or diagrams accurately matching the source model (or in this case, muppet). It uses the same materials and should be barely distinguishable from the source item. They are generally handmade in small quantities and not mass-produced. Model kits and stuffed animals are generally produced in mass quantities, are not identical to the source item, and are made as cheaply as possibly to maximize profits.

Try finding someone to create a completely accurate replica of a muppet or Star Wars ship. Chances are (a) you couldn't find someone with that level of skill, (b) you wouldn't be able to get ahold of the original plans, patterns or schematics for the item, and (c) if you did, the price would almost certainly cost much, much more than what eFX is charging.

If you feel it's the same thing to display a model kit or stuffed animal as it is to own a replica, then more power to you. You'll save a lot of money.
Well i dont know if u didnt get it but i said basicly its the same.
A replica will try to get as close as possible to look like the original, but basicly the production of a stuffed toy and a stuffed replica is the same. You could also use original patterns and stuff on a mass produced toy. If done right you wont see any difference.
The only difference between mass produced toys and replicas is:
1. the materials used
2. more care for the replica maybe
3. replica comes finished while toys sometimes need some after care.

As for the model kits, what u think a replica nautilus is made of ?
it has the als parts that need to build together and later its pained and all.
If a company has thouse final molds, they could also mass produce em without any problem. Put in some instructions and you can also build and paint it. Based on your build and painting skills you will come out with the same product as the replica is or not.
For the Starwars model kits you can look for fine molds ones.
Most of em are very tiny but they also offer a few larger ones.
Granted you have to build and paint em, but you can also buy finished ones sometimes.
I wont agrue about the material used for em, that could indeed better on the replica but thats not the point.

I find these dont look bad for its tiny size ( note most of em not painted).
http://www.hlj.com/product/FNMSW-07

http://www.hlj.com/product/FNMSW-03

http://www.hlj.com/product/FNMSW-05

Some bigger x wing ( also mostly not painted )
http://www.hlj.com/product/FNMSW-09

Here some finished 1/72 Falcon (was availible as kit too )
http://www.hlj.com/product/FNMSWP-06

Anyway i wont say they look the same or better then a replica, but i wont say they always look lees good then replicas if done right.

So my point was once again the kit and replica are made of parts that need to be builded and painted. There are companys that offer high detailed and accurate kits because they did also research.
For the stuffed toys the replica uses original patterns and almost the same material, but still need to be sewed and stuffed.
The mass produced toy could also use the same original patterns and need to be sewed and stuffed too.
How good the product looks after is determed by the aftercare.

Dont know whats to hard to understand by that. The working steps to create a replica or a toy are basicly the same.
It all depends on materials used and how much care and aftercare is putted in the product.

EFX could easyly mass produce there ships as kits unpainted. Every kit would look like the replica then but is still unpainted because the same molds are used they did use for the replica.
The expensive afterwork building and painting could be done by the custumer later. Also the replicas would be still of its own kind.
If you cant understand that im sorry for you.