Your Thoughts: Kermit and Miss Piggy on America's Got Talent

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well no offence guys, but we're criticizing this new guy's performance, make it clear you don't like it...and then he's compared to Jim's performance?

And yet we hardly want to criticize Steve's performance at all (not saying we should). Just rather strange...::shrugs::

Luke

Reaction score
Well no offence guys, but we're criticizing this new guy's performance, make it clear you don't like it...and then he's compared to Jim's performance?

And yet we hardly want to criticize Steve's performance at all (not saying we should). Just rather strange...::shrugs::
I can't tell a major difference between Jim and Steve. Sure the character is played in a slightly more extroverted way but other than that the personality and magic are there - it is Kermit. Same goes for Eric taking over Franks Muppets.

The new performer, it just didn't feel like Kermit at all. Thats all i can say really ... felt like someone on Youtube doing an impression. No offence to them, i'm sure they did their best but it just wasn't believable.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score

Steve's performance has been discussed many times over the years here, but of course fans are going to greatly critique a guy who subbed for two performances over the actual puppeteer who has safeguarded the character for 19 years. (It's the 19 year thing.) :wink:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Oh it's OK to critique him, that's fine. But then saying "this guy is like an early Jim performance"? That's criticizing Jim Henson. I won't do that. :wink:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Oh it's OK to critique him, that's fine. But then saying "this guy is like an early Jim performance"? That's criticizing Jim Henson. I won't do that. :wink:
I don't find that POV logical or the new faux Kermit performance to be Muppet-caliber that we're used to with any character.

Kynan Barker

Reaction score
I think you're confusing multiple points of view here. I don't like Artie's performance, and I don't think Artie's performance is anything like Jim's, or Steve's.

But as far as I can tell, the people who are saying that he's like Jim's early Kermit are doing so to try to defend Artie.

Even if it were true, the argument doesn't make sense. If Dan Castallaneta had to be suddenly replaced as Homer Simpson, would these people suggest that his substitute should sound exactly like season 1 Homer? Or like I said before, that Eric Jacobson should base his Miss Piggy on Richard Hunt's voice?

By that logic, the new voice of Mickey Mouse should actually be silent, like the "true" Mickey was the first time he appeared.

SarahOnBway

Reaction score
Even if it were true, the argument doesn't make sense. If Dan Castallaneta had to be suddenly replaced as Homer Simpson, would these people suggest that his substitute should sound exactly like season 1 Homer? Or like I said before, that Eric Jacobson should base his Miss Piggy on Richard Hunt's voice?
Now all I can see is Piggy singing Temptation on AGT and everyone in the audience having the same bewildered, slightly scared-for-their-lives reaction my little sister had when I showed her that episode of TMS after the S1 DVD came out.

You smiled, luring me OOOOOOOOOOOOOON
My heart was GOOOOOOOONE
YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU were
TEMPTAAAAAAAATIOOOOOOOOOOOOON

Audience reactions:
:confused:
:eek:
:embarrassed:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I think you're confusing multiple points of view here. I don't like Artie's performance, and I don't think Artie's performance is anything like Jim's, or Steve's.
Ok that's fair, I shouldn't generalize. :smile:

I don't think this guy was that bad. Yes the puppetry seemed beginner. No the voice wasn't perfect. But it some ways it was like hearing Jim again for me (and for others on the Internet that have commented). I grew up with Jim and that's Kermit for me. I'm not going to get that upset over a recast taking over from another recast.

Of course, I have a lot of respect for Steve as a performer and hope he's OK.

Gelfling Girl

Reaction score
You smiled, luring me OOOOOOOOOOOOOON
My heart was GOOOOOOOONE
YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU were
TEMPTAAAAAAAATIOOOOOOOOOOOOON
LOL. That was probably my favorite scene in the first season of TMS, and not just because it was Richard Hunt. :sing::mad::wink: