The Rainbow Connection: Richard Hunt, Gay Muppeteer [Poughkeepsie, NY]

davidmartiste

Reaction score
The Rainbow Connection: Richard Hunt, Gay Muppeteer, a presentation by author Jessica Max Stein, will be held Sunday, July 18, 2010 at 2pm at the Cunneen-Hackett Arts Center, 12 Vassar Street, Poughkeepsie, NY.

Richard Hunt joined the Muppets at age 19 and went on to be a central performer on the international blockbusters Sesame Street, The Muppet Show and Fraggle Rock, creating such beloved characters as Scooter, Janice, Beaker and Statler (in the Muppet balcony), even briefly performing Miss Piggy in her early drag queen days. Hunt died of AIDS-related complications in 1992, only 40 years old.

Author Jessica Max Stein is working on a biography of Hunt, based on her best-selling zine The Rainbow Connection: Richard Hunt, Gay Muppeteer. Her 2-hour presentation includes over an hour of Muppet clips interspersed with details of Hunt's fascinating story as a Muppeteer who happened to be a gay man. She teaches English at the City University of New York, and lives in Brooklyn.

Zines will be available for sale at the event.

Tickets are $5, cash at box office/day of show. Reservations suggested, seating is limited. Call 917 502 4098 or email info@upinarms.biz. More info: upinarms.biz :wink:

FletchySRF3088

Reaction score
I wish I could go. I have the zine and I absolutely love it!

davidmartiste

Reaction score
Hey Fletchy. I just had to join your facebook group. Can't resist Scooter! :wink:

FletchySRF3088

Reaction score
Hey, David, thanks for joining! :smile: heh, I can't resist the go-fer either :wink:

dwmckim

Reaction score
Wow - that's really exciting to hear that Stein is working on a full-sized bio of Richard! I'm doing my happy dance!

beaker

Reaction score
The Rainbow Connection: Richard Hunt, Gay Muppeteer, a presentation by author Jessica Max Stein, will be held Sunday, July 18, 2010 at 2pm at the Cunneen-Hackett Arts Center, 12 Vassar Street, Poughkeepsie, NY.

Richard Hunt joined the Muppets at age 19 and went on to be a central performer on the international blockbusters Sesame Street, The Muppet Show and Fraggle Rock, creating such beloved characters as Scooter, Janice, Beaker and Statler (in the Muppet balcony), even briefly performing Miss Piggy in her early drag queen days. Hunt died of AIDS-related complications in 1992, only 40 years old.

Author Jessica Max Stein is working on a biography of Hunt, based on her best-selling zine The Rainbow Connection: Richard Hunt, Gay Muppeteer. Her 2-hour presentation includes over an hour of Muppet clips interspersed with details of Hunt's fascinating story as a Muppeteer who happened to be a gay man. She teaches English at the City University of New York, and lives in Brooklyn.

Zines will be available for sale at the event.

Tickets are $5, cash at box office/day of show. Reservations suggested, seating is limited. Call 917 502 4098 or email info@upinarms.biz. More info: upinarms.biz :wink:
Sounds amazing! Can't wait to hear reviews of the presentations. And I love zines. I got to meet Richard's sisters, who couldnt be more thrilled to see such avid fan love for Richard's signature characters. It's funny because Beaker is by far one of the most popular and beloved of the "cult" Muppet characters...I liken it to the Boba Fett popularity in Star Wars. Same with Swedish Chef.
I just hope Scooter can be brought back.

Man, he was only 19? He would be 58 this year? It's definitely tragic. The guitar player of my favorite band The B-52's died of AIDS in 1985, as well as my favorite street artist Keith Haring in 1990.

Btw, is this the Jessica Stein of "Kissing Jessica Stein"?

davidmartiste

Reaction score
Sounds amazing! Can't wait to hear reviews of the presentations. And I love zines. I got to meet Richard's sisters, who couldnt be more thrilled to see such avid fan love for Richard's signature characters. It's funny because Beaker is by far one of the most popular and beloved of the "cult" Muppet characters...I liken it to the Boba Fett popularity in Star Wars. Same with Swedish Chef.
I just hope Scooter can be brought back.

Man, he was only 19? He would be 58 this year? It's definitely tragic. The guitar player of my favorite band The B-52's died of AIDS in 1985, as well as my favorite street artist Keith Haring in 1990.

Btw, is this the Jessica Stein of "Kissing Jessica Stein"?
Hey Beaker! Yeah - Richard would actually be turning 59 this August! I see we have Keith Haring in common as well. I got to see his 20th Anniversary show at the Tony Shafrazi gallery the same night I went to see Stuffed and Unstrung. It was great to feed 2 of my passions in one night.

I believe the Jessica Stein movie is just a coincidence. Maybe that's why she likes to go by Max instead. I'll have to inquire.

It would be lovely to see other MC fans comment after if they go to the presentation but, I will be sure to try to give my view on it when all is said and done.