Katy Perry song banned from Sesame Street Season 41

Should Katy Perry's song been cut from Sesame Street?

• Yes

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • No

Votes: 109 79.0%

• Total voters

minor muppetz

Reaction score
With Pee Wee, to me that's a real tragedy. Pee Wee Herman was one of the most recognizable and best things about the 80's, yet because of one private incident that wasn't even really an incident his whole life and career was destroyed.
You know, sometimes I wonder if he did that just to avoid being typecast (after all, he had just ended his series at the time).

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
its because "we" but these actors and actress and sports players at suck high pedestals that when they do something "wrong" the parents and rest of the world is shocked and disgusted, and forgets they we all all human and make mistakes...or in Peewees case no mater how you look at it what he does in his private life

Brinatello

Reaction score
This is what it comes down to: Whoever was thinking the dress was perfect was thinking of an older audience, not the preschoolers. They were thinking here is a show that is still being watched by those who had first seen it when aired during the late sixties, seventies and eighties. So, to them, they figured there's nothing wrong with her outfit when the skit was intended for everyone, not just 2-4 year olds.

Consider what the show put out during those past decades, some of that stuff was not for young children. I was bored to tears during the live-action skits, didn't even know who Paul Simon was as he strummed his guitar! And who can forget the skit where Cookie Monster wanted to eat Guy Smiley? Oh, my gosh! A vore fetish! Cannibalism! That didn't get pulled now, did it? Nope!

So, getting back to this skit, the design of Katy's outfit was to appeal to the older audience while the rest of it (cartoon scenery and Elmo) is for the younger audience. They attempted to do both and failed after receiving negative reviews, having them scramble next to quickly pull the plug on it.

Sorry if someone pointed this out before me. :big_grin:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Wasn't Snopp Dogg onSesame Street? If he was, doesn't his image just promote the use of drugs, no matter what?
No, he was in It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie, and his scene was cut before it was broadcast.

ISNorden

Reaction score
This is what it comes down to: Whoever was thinking the dress was perfect was thinking of an older audience, not the preschoolers. They were thinking here is a show that is still being watched by those who had first seen it when aired during the late sixties, seventies and eighties. So, to them, they figured there's nothing wrong with her outfit when the skit was intended for everyone, not just 2-4 year olds.
I can understand the producers wanting to appeal to toddlers and adults at the same time; that's pretty hard to do well, even though some of the older Workshop staff had the knack for reaching all ages at the same time. And yes, a lot of the old-school humor would never make it past network censors now. Slapstick violence like the letter W beating the heck out of poor Kermit? "War" as an example word in that same sketch? Jim Henson would've gotten fired if he were alive and trying to produce a skit like that today. :eek: But I grew up watching that W clobber Kermit, without getting emotionally scarred for life.

I admit that sounds hypocritical, as much as I've complained about Perry's outfit; I apologize for offending some people here. Different adults have different ideas about what kids shouldn't see on TV, but that bit of cleavage is a lot less graphic than what happened to Kermit in Episode 1. (Or how Chris' bathtub scene got handled in today's episode, for that matter!) A reshoot might still be the best compromise now that the old footage is pulled...but in hindsight, I was wrong to jump on the protesters' bandwagon.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Personally, the most disturbing thing on Sesame Street was this Bird Cartoon Even now it just doesn't sit well with me, especially the deep, threatening male voice saying "BIRRRRD" while the eyes swirled. And the part where it lays an egg, with a very evil sounding sting... I'm glad they don't air that anymore. I think I only caught it once. That and the infamous I Beam... those are more troublesome to kids than a part of the female body that they're too young to even want to see that's pretty much 5/8th covered up... and those are the dirty 5/8s.

A reshoot or graphic enhancement is a good compromise, considering her bi anthem wasn't the reason a thin minority of parents complained until it got pulled (Did you know Katy actually has Christian Evangelical parents who actually support her?). I don't even believe in that, but the sketch was a LOT more fun that that whiny sounding Feist song they're clearly going to reair in its place. Still don't see Feist's appeal.

tiggergirl19

Reaction score
I really like the video. Some people just like to complain. Others don't ever think things can just be innocent.

beaker

Reaction score
The more things change... In the 50s, TV refused to show Elvis Presley from the waist down because his "sexual gyrations" would corrupt the youth of America. 60 years later, Mrs. Russell Brand can't show cleavage on TV because children might find out that women have...wait for it...BOOBS! When did women get boobs? Wh...y wasn't I informed? [sarcasm mode turned off] Shame on the producers of Sesame Street for caving on this. Another generation being taught that their bodies are dirty, vile, disgusting, etc. As Russell Brand himself said, "Today's episode of Sesame Street will not be brought to you by the number 34 & the letter D". Can we all grow up now, please?
Wait, Katy Perry is married to Russel Brand? Given he's been one of the main stars of Segal/Stoller's movies the last few years...I wonder if that means we'd get a Katy Perry cameo in the new Muppet movie? Oh how ironic that'd be.

I am not a fan of Elmo at all. He is one of the things that ruined what used to be a good show (the old ones are available on DVD, so you can see for yourself. It is not just that my tastes have improved with age). This segment, however, is actually cute. He doesn't have such a big part in it, I guess.
I do not follow much modern music, either, so Katy Perry is not exactly a household name for me. But I saw nothing scanty about those clothes at all. Her breasts are hardly developed enough to notice. Dolly Parton she is not. I've seen small children wear less than that--even little girls wearing no bikini tops in public places. When they are that young, it really isn't a big deal. In this clip, KP is fully clothed, and she even says that she is playing "dress-up," implying that these are not her everyday clothes anyway. Kids DO undress in front of one another, but that reality is not even hinted at in this video.
This is sweet, G-Rated and even Sesame Street worthy, which is rare on the show since the tragic loss of Jim Henson.
Im with you all the way. I literally can't find any section of the
video that seems even remote inappropriate or not age appropriate. Shoot, Yo Gabba Gabba is wayyy more out there and bizarre, which I also think is a pretty good kid's show.

The sexualization of children continues to sicken and shock us all, yet there it is...little girls wearing shirts that have double entendre/suggestive themes, and there mom's think nothing of it. They literally sell that stuff at the mall, and ya see it everywhere.

And Im with you on the hatred of Elmo. It's sad, as Kevin Clash to me is a master craftsman, especially when you see him work his magic in person as I have. But hot dang, there is not one Sesame Street production, show, special or product/merchandise that doesn't have Elmo on it. I hate his laughter, his voice, his talking in the third person, his passive aggressive ADHD antics. People say they don't like Murray, but I say Murray is a zillion times better than Elmo. And sadly, when a lot of people think Muppets, they picture that red menace.

beaker

Reaction score
But I'll be nwarffed if implying Muppets going off to war isn't the most offensive thing SS has ever done, even if they were trying to do good by it.
I just thought the Muppets, and my goodness especially Sesame Street, were about teaching peace.

http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Talk,_Listen,_Connect

I mean, geez...Elmo's dad and Rosita's dad go out and kill people for the government...is this official Sesame canon? Poor Rosita's dad even comes back without the use of his legs(like many US soldiers chewed up and spit out by my government)

Given all the hullabaloo over the Katy Perry video, why is the US so focused on fighting Muslim fundamentalists when America seems to share the Muslims hatred of women and gays?

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
Shoot, Yo Gabba Gabba is wayyy more out there and bizarre, which I also think is a pretty good kid's show.
its funny you mention this and i had to chime in.. near me i see more Yo Gabba Gabba Merch at Newbury comics than any other child store

Mostly stuff surrounding one character mainly the "One Eyed Monster" if thats not a sexual innuendo i dont know what is