Katy Perry song banned from Sesame Street Season 41

Should Katy Perry's song been cut from Sesame Street?

• Yes

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • No

Votes: 109 79.0%

• Total voters

beakerboy12

Reaction score
Aww! I was looking forward to that! It looks so good! :frown:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Mother of Frog. This is the biggest steaming pile of garbage I've ever heard. I'm sorry, but Youtube comments are GARBAGE. Absolute garbage. They are not to be taken seriously. I've seen old cartoons absolutely polluted with backwards, bigoted slime... and (as I said in another thread) OMG WTT First comment :stick_out_tongue: :}.

This is SPINELESS. Sesame Street has had guests more provocative than this before. If they pulled episodes with guests that did "questionable" content outside of the show, we'd have only Mr. Roger's appearance in tact. I am so sick of the "What happened to America" crowd. You wanna know what happened? You got OLD, and you want to take your bitterness out on kids who did the EXACT same stuff you did. We're talking about people who miss the days when women couldn't wear pants. I'm really sick of a vocal, hateful, idiot minority speaking on behalf of people who have the common sense to shut up until there's a REAL social injustice (to which, they're constantly ignored).

I'm sorry, but this spinelessness happened ever since some loser right wing blogger whined that they made fun of a "news" channel that everyone in the business knows as biased. I'm very disappointed in SW right now for their willingness to let a bunch of crazies that spend ALL their free time using internet videos to comment on their whiney little pathetic platforms.

I say we write SW and tell them that we WANT to see this segment.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Thankfully, I have the video saved on my computer (in HD). I don't really approve of them not airing it. Kids wouldn't even be paying attention to the fact. They wouldn't even know what they are. Their focus would no doubt be either on Elmo, the background effects or the song.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I figured this would happen. I wonder if Katy Perry did a "Word of the Day" segment (if so then that probably won't be broadcast either... Though I don't care for the "Word of the Day" segments much).

And now I want a "Sesame Street for Adult Collectors" DVD, featuring the Katy Perry segment (maybe segments), the Chris Brown appearances, the Wicked Witch episode from season 7, and other things Sesame Street might not want today's kids to see (not to mention many "old school" segments). They probably won't do it, though.

I am thankful that fans thought to copy and upload the clip online.

Edited to add: If a DVD release of Katy Perry music videos ever comes out (and I don't know if one has yet or not), I wonder if it would be out of the question for whatever company releases the DVD to negotiate to include the Sesame Street appearance as a bonus feature.

Drtooth

Reaction score
For goodness sake, the target audience is like 2-4. They don't even know or care what she's really singing about, or about anything that supposedly was "showing" which was clearly hidden by a flesh toned suit. They're overreacting to a bunch of grannies and nannies with NO children who just hate the fact that they DON'T look like Katy Perry anymore. Even if anything was "sexual" kids that young won't know what they're talking about, and the ones that do think it's extremely disgusting. No one cares about that stuff as kids until they reach 11. Boys HATE girls until they're 11.

This is pressure and weakness at it's most sickening. This is why nothing ever gets fixed and why everything is wrong. And these "family Values" types manage to whine endlessly about how it's not 1950 anymore (oh yes. The paradise era when people were afraid of getting A-bombed by Russia and kids were still thugs. I'd feel nostalgic for that :rolleyes: ) pick and chose and Maury Povich is still on the air.

You want to corrupt a kid? Sit him down and watch a news cast. The world is filled with scarier, more disturbing and damaging stuff than Katy Perry guest starring on a kid's show.

EDIT: I posted a persuasive argument against banning the segment on their Youtube page. I suggest anyone with an account does as well. if they can listen to prudes, they can listen to fans.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Even before the banning, I wondered if Sesame Workshop did this as a joke as opposed to something they seriously considered airing on the show. Sure, it would have probably been expensive to produce for the sake of a joke, and of course they needed to pay for Katy Perry, and there's the bad economey and budget cutting, but still... They put her in a low-cut dress, have Elmo running from her, show close-ups of her skirt and legs.... They even went as far as to have her wear a body suit over her chest (why? does Katy Perry have tattooes on her chest or something?)... Considering that I wouldn't be surprised if Sesame Workshop planned that as a joke (though it seems to me it wasn't... Wouldn't SW have mentioned it in press releases for the banning of the segment?).

MelissaY1

Reaction score
For goodness sake, the target audience is like 2-4. They don't even know or care what she's really singing about, or about anything that supposedly was "showing" which was clearly hidden by a flesh toned suit. They're overreacting to a bunch of grannies and nannies with NO children who just hate the fact that they DON'T look like Katy Perry anymore. Even if anything was "sexual" kids that young won't know what they're talking about, and the ones that do think it's extremely disgusting. No one cares about that stuff as kids until they reach 11. Boys HATE girls until they're 11.

This is pressure and weakness at it's most sickening. This is why nothing ever gets fixed and why everything is wrong. And these "family Values" types manage to whine endlessly about how it's not 1950 anymore (oh yes. The paradise era when people were afraid of getting A-bombed by Russia and kids were still thugs. I'd feel nostalgic for that :rolleyes: ) pick and chose and Maury Povich is still on the air.

You want to corrupt a kid? Sit him down and watch a news cast. The world is filled with scarier, more disturbing and damaging stuff than Katy Perry guest starring on a kid's show.

EDIT: I posted a persuasive argument against banning the segment on their Youtube page. I suggest anyone with an account does as well. if they can listen to prudes, they can listen to fans.
Totally agree, it's ridiculous. I am all for protecting children from horrible things, but our country has gotten so paranoid and PC about every little thing our children see. And like you said, half of them don't understand what they're seeing or hearing. Yes, today's kids are a bit more savvier and onto stuff at earlier ages then maybe we were at the time, but it's SESAME STREET. It's not going to scar them for life, and if parents of the children watching do the right thing, they can get their kids through a Katy Perry musical number.

Jeez, I was like four years old when I saw Raquel Welch scantily clad dancing with a giant spider on the Muppet Show back in the day, I survived! And I'm sure people weren't complaining like they are now. True, Muppet Show was targeted at a wider age range of an audience, but there were plenty of young children still watching.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Totally agree, it's ridiculous. I am all for protecting children from horrible things, but our country has gotten so paranoid and PC about every little thing our children see. And like you said, half of them don't understand what they're seeing or hearing. Yes, today's kids are a bit more savvier and onto stuff at earlier ages then maybe we were at the time, but it's SESAME STREET. It's not going to scar them for life, and if parents of the children watching do the right thing, they can get their kids through a Katy Perry musical number.
I've noticed there are two kinds of parental groups. PC types that don't like violence and force them to add characters to round out ethnicity and prudish old groups that whine about how much more the current generation can get away with vs. their own. Again, the latter group is made up of people who still object to women wearing pants. Both of them are a fatal combination of destroying reality.

Face it, if your kid goes out in the world and sees people on the street, they'll see stuff that makes Katy Perry's clothing look like a full body Disney Walkabout costume. Men AND women. I've seen action figures get away with stuff I really didn't want to see (If anyone's got the "Battle of the Planets" Ken action figure, you'd probably know what I mean). Sex sells product, and it's part of our innate animal instinct. There's a lot of debate about that I don't want to go into. And of course, let's not forget that kids are way too young and pure to know or care about that stuff. Meanwhile, if your kid hits the remote button by mistake, you'll see Maury talking to people with multiple partners asking who's the babbydaddy among other things on daytime.

I've been saying for YEARS that kid's programming is ridiculously over-regulated (down to the advertisements now) and even some shows get unnecessarily censored, but they allow the evil, backstabbing, worst of humanity in reality programming. And they talk about morals and decency. There's no decency until Survivor finally gets canceled. It's all blatant hypocrisy.

I say, refilm the segment and make Katy Perry wear an ugly sweat shirt. That way the PC and Prude police will be happy, and can spend the rest of their highly valuable stuff watching things to purposely get offended and write letters to sponsors they don't even buy products of.