1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Katy Perry song banned from Sesame Street Season 41

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by ssetta, Sep 23, 2010.

?

Should Katy Perry's song been cut from Sesame Street?

1. Yes

29 vote(s)
    21.0%
  2. No

109 vote(s)
    79.0%

1. ssetta

ssetta Active Member

2. Frogpuppeteer

Frogpuppeteer Well-Known Member

thats a shame i liked it
  3. beakerboy12

beakerboy12 Well-Known Member

Aww! I was looking forward to that! It looks so good! :(
  4. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Mother of Frog. This is the biggest steaming pile of garbage I've ever heard. I'm sorry, but Youtube comments are GARBAGE. Absolute garbage. They are not to be taken seriously. I've seen old cartoons absolutely polluted with backwards, bigoted slime... and (as I said in another thread) OMG WTT First comment :p :}.

This is SPINELESS. Sesame Street has had guests more provocative than this before. If they pulled episodes with guests that did "questionable" content outside of the show, we'd have only Mr. Roger's appearance in tact. I am so sick of the "What happened to America" crowd. You wanna know what happened? You got OLD, and you want to take your bitterness out on kids who did the EXACT same stuff you did. We're talking about people who miss the days when women couldn't wear pants. I'm really sick of a vocal, hateful, idiot minority speaking on behalf of people who have the common sense to shut up until there's a REAL social injustice (to which, they're constantly ignored).

I'm sorry, but this spinelessness happened ever since some loser right wing blogger whined that they made fun of a "news" channel that everyone in the business knows as biased. I'm very disappointed in SW right now for their willingness to let a bunch of crazies that spend ALL their free time using internet videos to comment on their whiney little pathetic platforms.

I say we write SW and tell them that we WANT to see this segment.
  5. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

Thankfully, I have the video saved on my computer (in HD). I don't really approve of them not airing it. Kids wouldn't even be paying attention to the fact. They wouldn't even know what they are. Their focus would no doubt be either on Elmo, the background effects or the song.
  6. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I figured this would happen. I wonder if Katy Perry did a "Word of the Day" segment (if so then that probably won't be broadcast either... Though I don't care for the "Word of the Day" segments much).

And now I want a "Sesame Street for Adult Collectors" DVD, featuring the Katy Perry segment (maybe segments), the Chris Brown appearances, the Wicked Witch episode from season 7, and other things Sesame Street might not want today's kids to see (not to mention many "old school" segments). They probably won't do it, though.

I am thankful that fans thought to copy and upload the clip online.

Edited to add: If a DVD release of Katy Perry music videos ever comes out (and I don't know if one has yet or not), I wonder if it would be out of the question for whatever company releases the DVD to negotiate to include the Sesame Street appearance as a bonus feature.
  7. Drtooth

For goodness sake, the target audience is like 2-4. They don't even know or care what she's really singing about, or about anything that supposedly was "showing" which was clearly hidden by a flesh toned suit. They're overreacting to a bunch of grannies and nannies with NO children who just hate the fact that they DON'T look like Katy Perry anymore. Even if anything was "sexual" kids that young won't know what they're talking about, and the ones that do think it's extremely disgusting. No one cares about that stuff as kids until they reach 11. Boys HATE girls until they're 11.

This is pressure and weakness at it's most sickening. This is why nothing ever gets fixed and why everything is wrong. And these "family Values" types manage to whine endlessly about how it's not 1950 anymore (oh yes. The paradise era when people were afraid of getting A-bombed by Russia and kids were still thugs. I'd feel nostalgic for that :rolleyes: ) pick and chose and Maury Povich is still on the air.

You want to corrupt a kid? Sit him down and watch a news cast. The world is filled with scarier, more disturbing and damaging stuff than Katy Perry guest starring on a kid's show.

EDIT: I posted a persuasive argument against banning the segment on their Youtube page. I suggest anyone with an account does as well. if they can listen to prudes, they can listen to fans.
  8. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

Even before the banning, I wondered if Sesame Workshop did this as a joke as opposed to something they seriously considered airing on the show. Sure, it would have probably been expensive to produce for the sake of a joke, and of course they needed to pay for Katy Perry, and there's the bad economey and budget cutting, but still... They put her in a low-cut dress, have Elmo running from her, show close-ups of her skirt and legs.... They even went as far as to have her wear a body suit over her chest (why? does Katy Perry have tattooes on her chest or something?)... Considering that I wouldn't be surprised if Sesame Workshop planned that as a joke (though it seems to me it wasn't... Wouldn't SW have mentioned it in press releases for the banning of the segment?).
  9. MelissaY1

MelissaY1 Well-Known Member

Totally agree, it's ridiculous. I am all for protecting children from horrible things, but our country has gotten so paranoid and PC about every little thing our children see. And like you said, half of them don't understand what they're seeing or hearing. Yes, today's kids are a bit more savvier and onto stuff at earlier ages then maybe we were at the time, but it's SESAME STREET. It's not going to scar them for life, and if parents of the children watching do the right thing, they can get their kids through a Katy Perry musical number.

Jeez, I was like four years old when I saw Raquel Welch scantily clad dancing with a giant spider on the Muppet Show back in the day, I survived! And I'm sure people weren't complaining like they are now. True, Muppet Show was targeted at a wider age range of an audience, but there were plenty of young children still watching.
  10. Drtooth

I've noticed there are two kinds of parental groups. PC types that don't like violence and force them to add characters to round out ethnicity and prudish old groups that whine about how much more the current generation can get away with vs. their own. Again, the latter group is made up of people who still object to women wearing pants. Both of them are a fatal combination of destroying reality.

Face it, if your kid goes out in the world and sees people on the street, they'll see stuff that makes Katy Perry's clothing look like a full body Disney Walkabout costume. Men AND women. I've seen action figures get away with stuff I really didn't want to see (If anyone's got the "Battle of the Planets" Ken action figure, you'd probably know what I mean). Sex sells product, and it's part of our innate animal instinct. There's a lot of debate about that I don't want to go into. And of course, let's not forget that kids are way too young and pure to know or care about that stuff. Meanwhile, if your kid hits the remote button by mistake, you'll see Maury talking to people with multiple partners asking who's the babbydaddy among other things on daytime.

I've been saying for YEARS that kid's programming is ridiculously over-regulated (down to the advertisements now) and even some shows get unnecessarily censored, but they allow the evil, backstabbing, worst of humanity in reality programming. And they talk about morals and decency. There's no decency until Survivor finally gets canceled. It's all blatant hypocrisy.

I say, refilm the segment and make Katy Perry wear an ugly sweat shirt. That way the PC and Prude police will be happy, and can spend the rest of their highly valuable stuff watching things to purposely get offended and write letters to sponsors they don't even buy products of.
  11. MelissaY1

MelissaY1 Well-Known Member

Well said. 99.9% of the monitoring going on is the pressure because of people like you described weighing in on these networks, producers, etc. and forcing the lawyers and censors involved with these projects to get really paranoid and jump on the "We can't do THAT" band wagon.

It's total lunacy.
  12. matleo

matleo Active Member

hey gang,

I gotta say I back SW on this decision. I like breasts as much as the next guy but that dress was, in my opinion, a bit too revealing for a show directed at 3-5 year olds.

We're not talking about politico groups here. We're not talking about network censors. We are talking about parents who work hard to raise their kids as best they can and that's hard enough in this day and age. As a parent, I personally would have felt very disappointed if the one place I knew was kinda safe and kid-friendly for my daughter, wasn't as kid-friendly as I've always known it.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. I'd be interested in hearing the thoughts from some of the other MC parents.

--Matt
  13. Frogpuppeteer

Frogpuppeteer Well-Known Member

while this is true and i agree with your first statement...breasts didn't even cross my mind when i watching this clip
  14. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

they can have a woman breast feadding but that gets banded lol
  15. Mupp

Mupp Member

16. Drtooth

I'd agree ONLY if SW didn't suggest that she wear a body suit right under that. And I guess SW haggled her down to wearing that as a compromise. I still think they could have been a little more strict about that. That's their only fault in the matter.

But make no mistake. This isn't about how she's dressed (I swear I've seen people wear more provocative stuff on the show... if not, again, it's a full body Disney walkabout she's wearing compared to the stuff you'd see on a typical day anywhere). it's mainly because of lyrics to another song not being kid friendly.

Now, the thing that really bugs me is that 90% of the parents who would complain about that are the same parents that would go out and buy their kids the very same songs on Kid's Bop albums. It's basically people worried that this stuff makes their kids grow up too fast, YET they buy Cheetah Girls and Hannah Montas stuff for very young children. Heck, what about the Bratz dolls that they were supposed to stop selling (but still are) due to a lawsuit from Mattel?

Again, we have to remember, reality is gritty, at times frightening if not disgusting. To parents, your kid will be exposed to nastier things if you take them outside for a walk. People swearing casually too much, women dressed ...errr... barely dressed in things.

And again, we had Richard Pryor on the show once. That guy did more provocative things, he said very provocative things, and it did wind up costing him a network kid's TV show due to ONE southern based station (Pryor's Place/ Sid and Marty Krofft productions), but SS took the chance. There are very few saints out of all the guest stars on Sesame Street... take the people with questionble stuff away and you got Mr. Rogers, maybe Bill Cosby (unless you get him on violence from I Spy). I'm sure a lot of people whined about the hippy culture in the first couple of seasons, but they stood their ground on it.

I still say call her back and refilm the song, dress her up in something less revealing (like kids know what that stuff is even for... they think it's gross. Trust me) and pretend like this never happened. Everyone wins.
  17. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Active Member

Thanks for posting that, Sseta. I tried it on the TMZ site, but they only showed a short clip. Just wanted to post here while it's loading and get rid of the 'you haven't posted in a while message.' I haven't had a chance to listen to the full version of that song. Sounds like they might be spoofing the song 'Crush.' We'll see.
  18. SSLFan

SSLFan Well-Known Member

This story is all in the news. Couldn't it very well have been a publicity stunt from the get-go? Seriously, SW KNEW what they were doing when Ms. Perry put on that outfit. They knew they would get some public backlash.

If it sounds like I'm defending those who got the song banned, I'm not, since I'm really upset about the whole situation. Really, this is so unessescary and childish on the act of others. Making such a big fuss out of nonsense. IMO, and generally speaking, the worse thing you can do is try to protect and shield your child from something in which they will end up having to see eventually, and once they do encounter it, they're clueless on how to act on it since they weren't exposed to it sooner. With that said, I gurantee that if this clip was aired, almost all of kids would not even had paid no mind to Ms. Katy, since all their attention would be directly focused on Elmo & Oscar; Katy is something for the adults who watch SS with their child(ren) to enjoy anyway.

And seriously, Elmo is the one who's naked. Why no controversial backlash about THAT?:p
  19. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Active Member

Okay. The song wasn't spoofing 'Crush' it was spoofing 'Hot and Cold.' Lol. I guess that was a dumb mistake on my part. That was a good one, but I can see why people were concered about it. Her dress did seem to be pretty revealing. But I know you see a lot of that on TV these days. It shouldn't have been that big of a deal. Or they could have reshot the scene with her in a different outfit. Just something to think about.
  20. Drtooth

Exactly my point. kids don't care. They don't. The only ones that do are people who frankly live in the eternal 1950's (poodle skirts ticked off old folks in those days.. every generation hates something about the next and everyone forgets it).

That said, jeez... if nothing else, graphically alter the darn thing. Call 4Kids... they're not too far from where they are. I'm sure they could make an obvious CGI coverup to make it suitable for 80 year old grannies that pretend to care about children when they're offended by the raunchiness of the font on the box of saltines.

That said, show this skit in almost every other country... they'll say "Uh... yeah, what? Am I missing something?" I hate how prudish this place is. There's a difference between modesty (this day and age wearing clothes IS modesty) and obsessive policing. This is the latter.