Cancelling Cable?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I like that. Kind of like buying a cable package where nothing is really basic. We just pick and choose monthly subscriptions. I think we're getting there with the internet, but I also think they'll find a way to make that more expensive too. Even Netflix just went up! :sympathy:

beau

Reaction score
I honestly don't know what I'd do without TV.

I'm hardcore into Formula 1 racing and cable (or satellite, like I have now) is a requirement.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Except if you have DirecTV like I do. They get a special ION feed that has zero infomericals whatsoever.
Must be local affiliates or something. Sigh... My RTV affiliate runs infomercials most of the day. Worst part is I heard RTV actually reruns stuff like Fat Albert on Saturdays. And I can't even see it. :concern:

sesameguy

Reaction score
What they SHOULD do is charge by the channel, like $2/month or something.
Hear, hear! My family and I have said this for years. This way you don't pay for what you don't want to see. Your price is right, too- at $2 per channel, you could get your 10 favorite channels for $20 a month. I'd probably still have cable if I could get in on a deal like that. Hopefully someone in the industry is reading this. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
What they SHOULD do is charge by the channel, like $2/month or something. It's too expensive to own cable TV. I can see those high prices in the beginning because of the cable boxes and hook up fees, etc; but, they don't do anything after that! It's the same thing, and no extra service, no extra frills, they don't do anything better, but keep gonig up and up and up...it's dumb how they do consumers! Same with Cellular phones; but, that we HAVE to have.
I mentioned that. The cable companies are INTENTIONALLY holding an ala carte package back. It's their every intention to NOT sell channels separately for some reason. Be it some backroom deal with channels NO ONE would watch if they didn't pass by them or what. This was discussed years ago. They considered it, but again, hanky panky and here we are. What I wanna see is a group effort of EVERY worldwide entertainment company out there to put out any and everything possible on official sites. When the technology allows, of course. Hire people to do subtitles in every language. And if music rights get to be stupid, as they usually do, just sell the songs underneith (like they do on youtube) with all money going to the conglomerate, old weirdo, or actual artist that owns the music rights.

Of course, we'll never get that. Once companies move further into computers and internet, they'll find a jolly good way to ruin it and make it just as cumbersome, obstinate and heavily regulated as everything else. And it will all be hits based, and we'll only still see what the almost majority of people want to see.

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
I canceled my FIOS cable a few months ago, after having it for about a year. I was charged almost $50 per month for the basic service, plus $5.99 for the cable box rental. Paying over $600 per year for cable is financial redundancy in my opinion. Not only are the majority of tv shows repeated constantly, but for the most part, I have been able to watch my favorite shows online(either at HULU or on YouTube).

Also, the 'On Demand' films(which I never purchased), have a charge of $4.99 each, and other 'On Demand' services had their own separate charges.

To sum it up in one word: ridiculous.:grouchy:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Here's a good reason for someone to cancel cable.

Remember that terrible "Hole in the wall" Japanese knock off game show that was so bad even Fox canceled it? Well guess where it wound up.

Cartoon network.

Whoever is running that network is the most pathetic human being waste of life in the universe to think that the best way to get ratings is with a terrible show not even Fox wanted 2 years ago. Really. Get the guy who was in charge before that STUPID Mooninite light bright scandal back and send the current guy to where he belongs... in line at a soup kitchen.

beau

Reaction score
Here's a good reason for someone to cancel cable.

Remember that terrible "Hole in the wall" Japanese knock off game show that was so bad even Fox canceled it? Well guess where it wound up.

Cartoon network.

Whoever is running that network is the most pathetic human being waste of life in the universe to think that the best way to get ratings is with a terrible show not even Fox wanted 2 years ago. Really. Get the guy who was in charge before that STUPID Mooninite light bright scandal back and send the current guy to where he belongs... in line at a soup kitchen.
"Hole in the Wall" on Fox was awesome, though I agree the new version sucks.

The thing is, there are two people making the decisions there now. One of them wants CN to go back to its roots, the other doesn't.

They basically have to compromise all the time. They seem to have started to get back on the right track though with some of the new programming; "Regular Show" for starters, which IMO is one of the best things that's EVER been on that channel.

lotusoftheleaf

Reaction score
For years now, I turn my TV on mainly just for the background noise. The only channels I actually watch are Boomerang or The Hub for reruns of older shows, but almost all those shows are available on DVD. If it wasn't need to watch DVDs and play video games, I'd probably sell my whole TV.

I hate Disney XD. Toon Disney and Jetix should have just become two separate channels. Disney can have all the Hanna Montana and Jonas Bros. stuff, Jetix can have all the awesome superhero cartoons, and we'd still have Toon Disney for DuckTales, Rescue Rangers, etc.

I loved Jetix, even though I've seen a lot of hatred towards the block for taking up nearly the entire channel near the end. I've even considered getting a tattoo of the little Jetix mascot. It was like a reincarnation of Fox Kids and early Kids WB. All they needed was to add Freakazoid to that lineup and I'd have been in heaven. Not to mention I'm sort of a fangirl of Brian Donovan, the Jetix announcer. It made me really ticked off when he got replaced. He put so much energy into the promos. He made me get excited about what was coming up next. This other guy is no where near as good. He couldn't announce his way out of a wet paper sack!

@beau I wasn't aware there was actually someone at CN who doesn't have their head up their you-know-what. That guy must be the reason things like Ed, Edd n Eddy are still around, huh? I haven't bother to watch Regular Show or pretty much everything that's come after Chowder, but if it's like what CN used to offer, I need to give it try.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I guess I'm the minority when I say I think that even the cartoons like Chowder and Flapjack and Adventure Time are really stupid and a waste of time? I feel my brain rotting just watching the commercials