I'd like to own a Fraggle

lotusoftheleaf

Reaction score
Hello, everyone. This is my first post here. Ever since Fraggle Rock starting airing on the Hub, I've been watching and loving every episode I see. Lately, I've had an urge to have my own fraggle. I've searched Google (probably not the best option, I admit), but no custom-built puppet stores I've seen so far offer fraggle puppet options. I'd like to attempt building one myself, but before I do I'd like to ask a few questions. I didn't search the forum, so if these have already been answered somewhere here you may throw pies at me before linking me to the proper thread. :wink:

1. On average, how much does it cost to build a fraggle?
2. About how many hours go into the construction?
3. Is a fraggle something difficult for a puppet building n00b to take on as a very first project, and if so, would I be better off finding someone I could pay to build it for me?

Puppetainer

Reaction score
You're not likely to find a Fraggle offered for sale as it is a copyrighted property. There have been some less than legit puppet makers out there that have trafficked in knock-offs of Muppets and Fraggles, but you're probably well advised to steer clear of these shady operators.

As to making your own Fraggle, that's a completely different propostion! I doubt that I'm the best qualified to answer your questions but I'll take a stab anyway.

1.) Cost - While I haven't ever attempted to build a Fraggle myself I can give a ball park estimate of what the materials would cost. Of course it depends on which Fraggle you're building, but if you're going to be using Antron fleece, possibly some fur and ostrich feathers on top of your foam and other materials I would say your looking at a minimum of $100-$150 in materials. If you're on a tight budget you could try and make due with regular polar fleece, and cut a few other corners, but I doubt the cost would dip much below $50 doing it on the cheap.

2.) Time - How many hours go into construction? Well, that is going to depend an awful lot on your experience and what methods and materials you use. Since you indicated you're a "noob" I would say to plan on about 50-80 hours of time. Most of my puppets still take me a good 30-40 hours to make, though I've only made about 11 or so thus far.

3.) Is a Fraggle a difficult choice for a puppet building noob and should you hire someone to make it for you? Well, I don't know that a Fraggle is by design a more difficult puppet. I think you could find a Project Puppet pattern to get you moving in the right direction and as puppets go most of the Fraggles aren't terribly complex. That being said if this is to be your first puppet it almost certainly won't end up looking quite as snazzy as you'd like. But you would have the pride and joy of knowing that this creation while imperfect was a product of your hard work and dedication. Also as Fraggles are copyrighted you're not likely to find a reputable puppet maker who will violate that copyright.

As to resources for building I would as mentioned earlier check out www.projectpuppet.com. They are a TERRIFIC resource for any budding puppet maker! As for materials you can find most of what you need through the excellent thread dedicated to just that: http://forum.muppetcentral.com/showthread.php?t=21416
Hope that helps you out a bit!
:smile:

lotusoftheleaf

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info!

I'm not sure if it would make any difference when it comes to the copyrights, but I was looking to own an original fraggle and not one of the characters from the show. Maybe in time, I'll attempt to buy/make replicas of the main characters, though. I first wanted one when I saw an original fraggle puppet for sale on eBay. I can't remember the name of the user who was selling it and since the auction ended earlier this month I can't look up the item anymore to send that user a message. (S)He may even be a member on this site.

If that person does come to this site and happens to see this post, I wonder if they build puppets on request and would be willing to make a fraggle for me?

Puppetainer

Reaction score
Not sure of the legalities there. I suppose that a puppet made in the style of the Fraggles but not an actual copy of a specific character would probably be okay. I have no doubt there are members here at the forum fully capable of just such a task. I probably could do something like that but I'd sooner pass the task along to someone with more experience.

You could try Jarrod Boutcher Puppets. He's got a puppet for sale right now that isn't so much a Fraggle, but does share some similarities in design and materials. I'm sure he'd be up to the task. http://forum.muppetcentral.com/showthread.php?t=51155
Best of luck!

SesameKermie

Reaction score
As far as building your own fraggle-style character, I saw someone used the Project Puppet "Glorified Sock Puppet" and "alternate body" patterns to make a boober style replica. Project puppet also has a tutorial about modifying the head shapes by adding facial features that might help you make a Wembley-style snout.

Melonpool

Reaction score
Any idea how they attached the arms and legs? It doesn't look like a doll joint, the key chain or velcro. It almost looks like a post that snaps into place. I think all the Fraggles had removable arms (I had heard velcro), but I'm unfamiliar with the way they did it here.

Puppetainer

Reaction score
Thanks Knucklehead! I knew that JB had done more "Fraggle like" puppets but I didn't have the link to the gallery. I'd say he could truly handle the task!

Animal31

Reaction score
Any idea how they attached the arms and legs? It doesn't look like a doll joint, the key chain or velcro. It almost looks like a post that snaps into place. I think all the Fraggles had removable arms (I had heard velcro), but I'm unfamiliar with the way they did it here.
Can't say for sure, but to me it looked like snaps?

puppetsmith

Reaction score
Definitely snaps. Which is very ingenious, in part because they swivel. :smile: