Building an Elmo

SesameStMuppets

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm in the process of building an Elmo puppet as a Birthday gift for a cousin. I'm trying to use patterns from Project Puppet to construct him but don't know which ones to use.

I was thinking of enlarging the Rotondo head and alternate body pattern to fit proportionally with the arms and legs of the Mostro? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

SesameStMuppets

Reaction score
Really? I would have thought the head too foot-ball-shaped for Elmo's head, and the body too much like Grover's?

TheCreatureWork

Reaction score
I have never made an Elmo but someone on here made an Elmo and used the Monstro. I'm on my mobile so I don't have time to find the pictures but when I get home, I will try to find it. Or if someone here can post the link...I believe the same builder made a Kermit.

pashmonster

Reaction score
I didnt use any patterns, monstro pattern is no good.

I watched many videos of Kevin clash with elmo and determined that elmo's head is only foam from his mouth upto just behind the eyes about an inch, behind this it is nothing but the fur. I found this the was the only way I could the head shape correct.

The eyes are xmas plastic baubles with a bar protruding down which is then secured with a thin metal bar. This allows the eyes to be pulled down and gives different expressions. This was also noted in an interview with Kevin Clash.

The body and arms were just hand drawn on paper and then transfered to fur.

Hope this helps anyone.

Animal31

Reaction score
"I didnt use any patterns, monstro pattern is no good.

I watched many videos of Kevin clash with elmo and determined that elmo's head is only foam from his mouth upto just behind the eyes about an inch, behind this it is nothing but the fur. I found this the was the only way I could the head shape correct."

It seems that the foam skull may go down farther than that, at least on some of the Elmo puppets. In this video he is holding Elmo in front of him from the head and he is definitely squishing down on something.

Another thing I actually noticed is that Elmo does not have a full foam body. He has foam only at the base to round out his backside, and I assume this is also extra strength to hold on his legs on....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5r6xR_H9gY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U38_Wtlj98

SesameStMuppets

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Thank you all again for your help. I'm still in-process with the Elmo build - I have to sew all of the parts together and make the proper eyes (right now they're just styrofoam balls).

I'd like to get some feedback, though, with what I have. I used the Roly head/arm patterns, Simple Series alternate body pattern, and Mostro leg/feet patterns (scaled to proper size).

You can see him here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/52568285@N07/5443098791/

I'd like to add a disclaimer that I'm not out to make an exact replica - just a gift for a small cousin. Enjoy!

pashmonster

Reaction score
Having made and elmo already, i think you need to make a one peice nose from a foam egg shape and cover it with one peice of cloth. I would say the eyes are slightly too large as well.

It actually looks a lot like mine did before i took out the scissors and trimmed the hair down a little around the body as its a little too long. You could also dip him in a tub of boiling water (after cutting the hair) for a minute then rough up the whole body and let it air dry, believe me it makes all the difference.