Your Thoughts: "The Muppets" Theatrical Film

Reaction score
I have never cried so much during a movie! The message in this movie changed my life. I've never related to a character in a film as much as I related to Walter. I'm sure that I'm not alone in feeling so connected to this character in a pretty intense/eerie/beautiful way, and showing that the fandom is what saved the Muppets in the end was incredibly touching to me. What an overwhelming experience! I loved it, and it taught me that growing up is believing in yourself. <3 MUPPETS!

beaker

Reaction score
I'm also extremly excited about Being Elmo which is coming to theaters here on December 23rd
The OTHER Muppet film out now:smile: And trust me, from what Ive heard I do mean Muppet...its not just Elmo and Sesame, but gets into the whole Jim Henson legacy. And just overall, it looks like an incredible and inspiring film.

yes i hope so i want to show everyone i know

interesting story my friend who i toke with me was not a muppet fan really only fraggle rock and so he said if i dont like the movie your gonna pay me my money back and i was like ok so when the parts came on when i cryed he laughed but then when rainbow connection came on he was crying with me when i looked over and after he told me he loves muppets and wants to see it again so were going soon and hes buying the dvd!! :smile:
A Fraggle fan not much into the Muppets? Strange...well Im glad he liked it tho! Im taking some non Muppet fans tomorrow, but secretly hoping into running into fellow big Muppet dorks!

Puckrox

Reaction score
I can't say this movie made me cry than any other movie ever has in my life (watch Requiem for a Dream. That movie'll have you in the fetal position and crying for nearly a half an hour after it's over). Pretty much every movie makes me cry (don't believe me? Clerks II. I cried during Clerks II).

HOWEVER it did make me cry quite a lot. I cried in all the places I knew I would (Pictures in my Head, the opening, the closing, Rainbow Connection, etc.), but there were a few other random places it got me to tear up. And anytime anyone gave an emotional, heartfelt speech? Instant tears.

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
the whole maniacal laugh thing is totally creepy and out of place without the context. It's not random funny as the muppets are random and funny, it was just weird and really out of place without the context.
i dont want to start trouble but this is where i disagree with you..me and my friends found this bit halirous and are at the moment joking with it, random text and facebook posts just saying Manical Laugh...none of us read the novel and im the muppet fan, the guy who was just interviewd by the Boston Herald and has his goofy face attached to the article,

so it came off as a random silly little quirk and work out so well in my mind instead of giving him an evil laugh
i didnt need the book to tell me why he said cause in my head i came up with my own reason sorta and took what i had a flew with it
i mean really would you ever expect the villian to just come out and say maniacal laugh...genius

beaker

Reaction score
I have never cried so much during a movie! The message in this movie changed my life. I've never related to a character in a film as much as I related to Walter. I'm sure that I'm not alone in feeling so connected to this character in a pretty intense/eerie/beautiful way, and showing that the fandom is what saved the Muppets in the end was incredibly touching to me. What an overwhelming experience! I loved it, and it taught me that growing up is believing in yourself. <3 MUPPETS!
I agree at how powerful so much of it is. I've heard the word transcendent in a few comments. I really can't wait to see it again, as the first time I saw it wasn't the most optimum way. I wish I had the ability to see it in San Francisco or somewhere with an older hardcore fan crowd, but it's nice seeing families there. I saw Hugo 3d today(had free tickets)...was tempted to sneak back into the muppets since Hugo was kind of slow/boring in parts. I did kind of take a peek to see the audience for the Muppets, I was happy to see Muppets was pretty packed. The first couple rows was special needs kids/adults which made me happy. In the 80's when my mom worked with special needs kids(mostly downs and severe autism) it seemed like for some kids my mom showing them muppets and sesame books or vhs tapes was the one thing that really brought them out of their shell. In fact a couple years ago my mom at her job ran into a nice lady who had a severely autistic son. Well my mom came by a few times and happened to give him some muppet stuff and dvds....and she told my mom it really brightened his day and made him so happy.

I respect people and their love of Disneyana, Dreamworks, Looney Tunes, Hana Barbara, etc. But is there anything on this earth that has the power of Jim Henson's creations?

I mean watch When Muppets Dream of Peace or the World According to Sesame Street...war torn countries ripped apart by years of strife, famine, etc. But the Muppets truly make kids smile.

Seeing those African masks referencing the Harry Belefonte episode early on in the Muppets was a very nice touch. Because it's that Harry Belefonte sketch which to me is one of the most important moments for our fuzzy foam gang.

beaker

Reaction score
Thanks to whoever for posting the Bobbin interview! http://collider.com/director-james-bobin-talks-the-muppets/126980/

Man, as much as Segel was the savior of the muppets...Bobbins clearly was the brains in some ways. Its doubtful Segel truly knew the ins and outs like Bobbins. His insistence on having Uncle Deadly as one of the main henchmen, truly inspired. His insistence on Wayne and Wanda, Bobby Benson, etc...genius!

Also I love how theyre forcing Mahna Mahna song back into pop culture!

SADLY, most people only know of Muppets as "Kermit, Fonzy, Animal, Gonzo, Miss Piggy, Ralph and those two old guys". But Im hoping this movie helps change that

I can't say this movie made me cry than any other movie ever has in my life (watch Requiem for a Dream. That movie'll have you in the fetal position and crying for nearly a half an hour after it's over). Pretty much every movie makes me cry (don't believe me? Clerks II. I cried during Clerks II).

HOWEVER it did make me cry quite a lot. I cried in all the places I knew I would (Pictures in my Head, the opening, the closing, Rainbow Connection, etc.), but there were a few other random places it got me to tear up. And anytime anyone gave an emotional, heartfelt speech? Instant tears.
I teared up to the prologue of Up. I definitely felt welled up with emotion at certain parts of the Muppets, like the opening, Rainbow connection part and some of the other revival moments. I think the only time I truly was crying a river in a movie was probably seeing Fahrenheit 9/11. It sucks the programming and memes guys are forced to have, being told crying is for wussies or is unmanly. I know girls are programmed in this society with a lot of unfortunate things as well...I think I'd probably let loose the water works at home when i see it on dvd. I always always cry with the final episode of Fraggle Rock and the 1990 remembering Jim Henson special(when Fozzie reads JH letter and realizes he's passed away)

I remember Requiem for a Dream...that film just made me feel weird and made me grateful I never tried any drugs. But Ive seen a lot of bizarre films like that.

beaker

Reaction score
Oh! Wanted to ask EVERYONE on here:

How were people's reactions when you saw them coming out of the movie?

I can tell you...there was a BIG difference of the vibe kids and families had leaving Hugo, Happy Feet and Arthur Christmas compared to Muppets. People leaving Muppets looked like they just won the lottery and saw man walk on the moon.
People leaving the other "family" films had a kind of muted sombre look. Same with Twilight.

Nothing beats the magic of the Muffins!

Drtooth

Reaction score
A grown woman said "It wouldn't feel right if someone didn't say [impersonating Animal] 'GO HOME! GO HOME!'"... Kids were shouting Mahna Mahna! And not even little ones... had to be 9-10 or something years old, when they start to turn into cynical jerks. The entire air of the theater (this was a small theater, mind you) was filled with complete and utter happiness all over. I've never seen such a thing. I've seen people leave movies satisfied, but never that uproarious. And this was a Wednesday 3:00 in the afternoon crowd. I could only imagine what the Midnight showing was like.

I teared up to the prologue of Up. I definitely felt welled up with emotion at certain parts of the Muppets, like the opening, Rainbow connection part and some of the other revival moments. I think the only time I truly was crying a river in a movie was probably seeing Fahrenheit 9/11. It sucks the programming and memes guys are forced to have, being told crying is for wussies or is unmanly. I know girls are programmed in this society with a lot of unfortunate things as well...I think I'd probably let loose the water works at home when i see it on dvd. I always always cry with the final episode of Fraggle Rock and the 1990 remembering Jim Henson special(when Fozzie reads JH letter and realizes he's passed away)
Speaking out of someone who cries out of frustration in a cartoonish way a lot, I do tend to tear up in some weird situations... but Up's opening montage definitely did something... I couldn't stop bawling at the end of Toy Story 3, There was something else I can't forget... I even started tearing up at a very emotional segment in the Kinnikuman anime, where Kinnikuman didn't realize that half his friends were killed in battle.

Thing is, I fell the need to tear up during the Pictures in my Head number, and again at the Rainbow Connection... but I was stuck in frozen smile face the entire 90 minutes... Only other time I felt that way was watching The Dark Night and seeing Harvey Dent become Twoface.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Some kids who must have been our age (18 or older) were shouting Mahna Mahan on their way out too. There were definently some other Muppet fans there; one young man we saw was wearing an Animal wool cap and we saw a little girl with her Muppet Whatnot walking around the mall.

Plus, since we were at an AMC Theater, they played the Muppet policy trailer!

12Medbe

Reaction score
Oh! Wanted to ask EVERYONE on here:
Let's see, a couple kids were shouting Mahna Mahna, I certainly came out of there grinning like an idiot, haha, seriously I had the biggest grin on my face! A couple of people (middle aged and older) were humming the Muppet Show Theme song. One did Miss Piggy's karate chop. Also stopped in the bathroom after the movie, and a grown man was singing "Life's A Happy Song" word for word in one of the stalls.