Your Thoughts: "The Muppets" Theatrical Film

askurow

Reaction score
I'm 39, been a Muppet fan since te beginning with SS, and was a Muppet Show fan at 4. Collected the Muppet Show fan club newsletters, and later Muppets magazine. I LOVED this movie. Like most of you, I was Walter. But more importantly, I loved te genius of this movie. How it cleverly introduces the Muppets to young fans with no point of reference to the characters, and how it winks at the fans like us. It's not easy to relaunch a brand, and they did it! Now Disney can do so much more with the Muppets because of it.

I thought the songs could have been stronger, the strongest number being Rainbow Connection. Maybe they should have reached out to Paul Williams and Kenny Ascher? It's not that they were bad, but other than the one number everyone loves, I don't think the others were quite as memorable.

I like that they focused on the Muppet Show Muppets, leaving cameos to characters like Pepe, because there is always room to use him in the next project, but for this story, it was important to utilize talents of Uncle Deadly, Wayne & Wanda, etc.

Jason Segel, James Bobbin, creative forces, if you are reading this, a heartfelt THANK YOU for getting it right. So much of the Muppets future was really riding on this film and I get it. Every move of the chessboard was the right one.

Disney execs, if you're reading this, please please please find a better print of the original 1979 Muppet Movie and get it out on DVD. The prints issued previously are horrible. Please get us the rest of The Muppet Show seasons out on DVD. Kids are surely going to scoop them up this Christmas. Please put out The Muppets Celebrate Jim Henson, my favorite special of them all. Please license Emmett Otter's Jug Band Christmas and put out the complete version with all the correct pieces. And please put another Muppet Movie out soon. Take your time and do it right. Most of the Muppets are insane, and Kermit holds them together. Latter Muppet movies play the characters too safe and that's what makes them unfunny. Keep them over the top, keep them loveable, funny, touching, and explosive ("did someone say explosive?" BOOM!).

Thanks everyone involved. I loved this movie and can't wait for more!

zoebell

Reaction score
i'm excited for the dvd already. i know there's going to be tons of deleted scenes and extras.

i do hope there is SOME stuff with gonzo and rizzo in there somewhere. i realize they were going for the pre-jim henson's death muppet crew in this, but i personally became very attached to those two later on, they were hilarious

12Medbe

Reaction score
Disney execs, if you're reading this, please please please find a better print of the original 1979 Muppet Movie and get it out on DVD. The prints issued previously are horrible. Please get us the rest of The Muppet Show seasons out on DVD. Kids are surely going to scoop them up this Christmas. Please put out The Muppets Celebrate Jim Henson, my favorite special of them all. Please license Emmett Otter's Jug Band Christmas and put out the complete version with all the correct pieces. And please put another Muppet Movie out soon. Take your time and do it right. Most of the Muppets are insane, and Kermit holds them together. Latter Muppet movies play the characters too safe and that's what makes them unfunny. Keep them over the top, keep them loveable, funny, touching, and explosive ("did someone say explosive?" BOOM!)
If the Disney Execs are still reading, find a way to re-issue "Muppet Family Christmas" to DVD, with the music rights problem solved!

beaker

Reaction score
Did Sam the Eagle have a scene stealing line? I liked the Fox News spoof, I could totally see Sam Eagle as some Glen Beck/O'reilly character. But the lack of Sam having a really scene stealing aside...the lack of Rizzo, Pepe only getting a small bit, Robin MIA, most post JH characters MIA(tho Big Mean Carl is seen briefly in the background...Carls been a major character since 2008, but he was absent) etc kind of irked me. Im glad Lew got some scene stealing material. Like everyone Im immensely curious what was cut. I know I'll be wanting to make my own edit of the film:smile:

Well, I guess we finally found out what Crazy Harry had been up to...he joined an Islamic terror group! :smile:

beaker

Reaction score
haha, cool. I wonder if there is a longer cut of that seen. Heck Quongo has more screentime than Rizzo, Pepe and Robin put together....Quongo! Also finally I see Luncheon there. Im still trippin with how much screen time Thog, Behemoth and Mutation got

*EDIT* Has Thog been THAT big before?

I seriously don't recall Thog being that crazy enormous before. Not that Im complaining...they could make him the size of a two story house and I'd be happy

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
haha, cool. I wonder if there is a longer cut of that seen. Heck Quongo has more screentime than Rizzo, Pepe and Robin put together....Quongo! Also finally I see Luncheon there. Im still trippin with how much screen time Thog, Behemoth and Mutation got

*EDIT* Has Thog been THAT big before?

I seriously don't recall Thog being that crazy enormous before. Not that Im complaining...they could make him the size of a two story house and I'd be happy
You haven't seen the movie yet?

Aidk321

Reaction score
Carl the big mean bunny is also in the same frame. Right behind animal