How does the flocking get applied to Miss Piggy?

muppetguy

Reaction score
I have always been curious as how they flock Piggy. Is the flocking applied with a specialized glue or something?

Just curious. Thanks!

muppetguy

Reaction score
lol! That was cute, Cindy. Thanks for the smile. Hehehe:embarrassed:

Melonpool

Reaction score
Don't they coat the foam with glue (one that stays flexible after drying), then run a static charge through the entire head and then shoot the tiny feathers at it? That makes the feathers stand up in the glue as it sets to give the flocked look.

fragglerockr

Reaction score
It's my understanding that flock is made up of textile fibers like cotton, rayon, nylon or polyester, not feathers. There are a couple of different ways to apply it. The electrostatic application is one way. It can also be sprayed or transferred on.

Yes. They first they lay down an adhesive that the flock sticks and then apply the flock on top of that.

Fraggleorckr

muppetguy

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Yeah, I've heard of the static charge thing, but I was wondering how it could be done without that. And, I guess yiou just get an adhesive and then sprinkle it on. Wow, Piggy is hard, probably one of the hardest muppets to build.

Melonpool

Reaction score
I knew a puppeteer who was able to get a similar effect using the flocking material and a soda straw. What he would do is paint a small portion of the puppet with the glue, then blow the flocking material at the puppet. It took forever, but the look was very close to Miss Piggy's. He could then paint it with spray floral paint.

I wonder if you could do a similar technique with a turkey baster?

Melonpool

Reaction score
Check out this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJFjorzlI3k

Does it give anyone any ideas? It seems to me that the same technique (even the same tools and flocking) could be used on a puppet, provided that the glue remained flexible after drying and it didn't react with the foam.

Melonpool

Reaction score
A little more research yielded this:

http://www.craftflocking.com/

You know, for a little over a hundred dollars, you could set yourself up with an electo-static machine and do it just like Henson does!

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score
That pepper shaker device is a really clever idea - I can't see it being too hard to rig one up yourself.