First Elmo original sketch!

FUZZYRED

Reaction score
Here the website that you can see very first Elmo original sketch paper that Kevin clash was holding:

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment...et-elmo-bert-ernie-through-the-years-11707660

You would be shock how different Elmo was in the past! I just wonder if any one remember that puppet version or that puppet version was used for We Are All Monster because there a tall grey monster sketch there as well.

What do you think?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I noticed that Elmo's name is labeled, but it looks like that part may have been written on it years later, after Elmo's name was established.

In Caroll Spinney's autobiography, he said that the Elmo puppet was around in an early season and called Baby Monster, then was put in storage for many years, until they decided they needed a red monster. But seeing that sketch of Elmo with the tall gray monster, I wonder if maybe Caroll Spinney misremembered.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
At first I thought sketch refered to skit/insert/number/bit/etc.

You know, perhaps the actual writing on the sketch was later added to confirm it was the original design art for what became the character of Elmo? I know I once had to go back a later add such to designs of mine, like when I have to have puppets sent out for wardrobe and such, so the seamstress will know which puppet is which and which puppet wears which outfit.

And yes, Caroll Spinney did mention all of that, and I'm pretty sure Kevin Clash has said the same thing as well.

gbrobeck

Reaction score
The sketch seems to share the page with one for the Kermit the Forg puppet (was that one used earlier than 1978?) and is signed by Caroly Wilcox.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Just so you don't have to click on that link...

I wish they officially named that other puppet... I never liked calling him Kermit the Forg. He HAS to have an official unofficial name.

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
gotta agree the note looks like it was added after...other wise it wouldve been faded like the rest of the pic...but other wise the sketch does look like elmo so it couldve been added after to show its connection

FUZZYRED

Reaction score
I just found interesting someone said where the red fur use for first Elmo verison puppet is

when Caroly Wilcox recarpeted the office, that's the color rug that was removed.

I found this at http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/2450941 Look for fouth answer and you will find it.

Also, I'm not sure if this proof cause that not my answer but, it might someone remember that time when work for Sesame Street. Interesting, the date was
March 13th, 2011, before the sketch of original Elmo was shown on website.