Alphabet Album sketches on the show...

magusdude

Reaction score
The Alphabet Album is by far my favorite Sesame Street album, and I was disappointed that in my youth I didn't see a lot of the songs from it performed on the show, mainly because at that point they were 20 years old. In recent years I learned an interesting fact about the album - it was originally recorded for audio purposes alone and not from existing songs on the show, and the songs were later lip-synched with puppets rather than being performed live (even our beloved C is for Cookie). With the advent of online videos I have seen a couple more of the ones I missed, but there are still many that I haven't seen. I know some of them were possibly never even filmed, but I know there are some sketches that have been shown only a few times and it's possible that even the die-hard Sesame Street community has missed them. This is what I have compiled so far:

The following songs/sketches I know were filmed for the show and I have personally seen:
C is for Cookie
Dee Dee Dee
*What's My Letter?
Two G Sounds
Stand Up Straight and Tall
J Friends
La La La
Mmm Monster Meal
Would You Like to Buy an O?
*My Favorite Letter
The Question Song
Sammy the Snake
*The National Association of W Lovers
X Marks the Spot
The Zizzy Zoomers
(a * means that I never saw the sketch/song on the show in my youth, but only saw recently)

The following songs, according to Muppet Wiki, were filmed and shown on the show, but I have not seen them and have found no other record of their existance:
The Sound of the Letter A
Just Because

The following sketch I have found some other record of its existance in video form, but have not personally seen it:
The R Machine

The rest I have found no record or evidence whatsoever of their existance in video form:
Oscar's B Sandwich
Four Furry Friends
Ha Ha
Herbert's Silly Poem
The Noodle Story
The Tale of Tom Tattertall Tuttletut
U Lecture
A Very Very Special Letter

If anyone has any information on, or even the videos of, the ones I have not seen, any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

sesameguy

Reaction score
Hi Magusdude - I do recall seeing "The Sound of the Letter A" on an early episode back in the day. As I recall, it took place on the street, in front of 123 near the lamp post. Big Bird sang the song to the camera. When the ant came on, the camera showed a close-up shot of the pavement. (I don't recall seeing an actual ant).

I also enjoy the alphabet album since it's a great collection of songs from skits shown during the early to late 1970s. For those who might not know, it's essentially the same as the "Sing the alphabet" CD, which I think is still available to buy. Also, some of the skits were made available on the old VHS releases. ("W lovers" is on "The Best of Ernie and Bert" and I think "Question song" and "Sammy the Snake" are on "The alphabet game")