Kids' shows nowadays

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
but to get my Mordecai and Rigby shirt I had to go to a Hot Topic, which isn't exactly the kind of store that welcomes people with open arms.
My Hot Topic used to have this really nice, overweightish bald guy working there. I liked him. Last time I went these crazy goth chicks were there that seemed a little too thrilled that I had walked into the store. They also play obnoxious dance music, not the typical stuff you would expect. Still, Spencer's has less phonies and posers. Anywho...

I feel like I am the only person on earth who doesnt like Regular Show or Adventure Time. Regular Show gives me that stoner comedy vibe, and I am not a fan of stoner comedies (with one exception). Adventure Time is just meh, but I wasnt all that impressed with it

D'Snowth

Reaction score
My Hot Topic used to have this really nice, overweightish bald guy working there. I liked him. Last time I went these crazy goth chicks were there that seemed a little too thrilled that I had walked into the store.
That reminds me of the time I was just sitting around in McDonald's, waiting for my food to be ready, and all of the sudden I found myself with a bunch of new "friends": a gang of skateboarders who I guess thought I was one of them because of my Radar O'Reilly cap, which seems to be popular among punks, lol.
Still, Spencer's has less phonies and posers. Anywho...
Yeah, but at the same time, Spencer's is a lot more... *Freaky Fred voice* naaauughtyyyyyy. :big_grin:
I feel like I am the only person on earth who doesnt like Regular Show or Adventure Time. Regular Show gives me that stoner comedy vibe, and I am not a fan of stoner comedies (with one exception). Adventure Time is just meh, but I wasnt all that impressed with it
I haven't even really seen any new CN show since they dug themselves into a grave in 2004, but even before then, I didn't like the way they suddenly treated every new show of theirs like a cash-cow... Dexter and Powerpuffs had a little bit of merchandising, but that was because they were genuinely two of CN's more successful and popular shows... EEnE EVENTUALLY got more merchadising when they realized it was a hit as well... but once KND came out (which I quickly got sick of because of how over-rated it became), it seems like every new show CN added to the network instantly got merchandising galore. I checked out Adventure Time a little recently, only because someone from deviantART said they saw similarities between my Vampire Girl character, and Marceline the Vampire Queen... I never saw the show beforehand, didn't know any of the characters, so I had no idea such a character existed... I honestly don't get the appeal of the show, evenMarceline's song about her daddy eating her fries leaves me scratching my head as to why it's become such a huge meme on the internet (unless it's because of the absurdity of a song about your father eating your fries).

Now then, on the subject of shows receiving false advertising, I think Big Bang falls into that category as well... the show is supposed to be about the nerds, right? So why is it so many promos (commercials, billboards, etc) make it seem like it's all about Kaley Kuoco, and the nerds are merely supporting characters? Or is it supposed to be the other way around, is she supposed to be the unofficial star, and does the public make it seem like the nerds are suupposed to be the stars?Sorry, I know, this is supposed to be about kid shows, I was just curious, and we already had the discussion about false advertising... ><

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Still, Spencer's has less phonies and posers. Anywho...
The Spencer's Gifts in my local mall is horrifying, mainly because it's in a space that's about an aisle wide, so you can't walk around the store without bumping into an "adult playtime" toy or obscene greeting card, which is a shame because they do sell some fun stuff if you can find it (that's how I got my Fraggle wall clock).

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
The Spencer's Gifts in my local mall is horrifying, mainly because it's in a space that's about an aisle wide, so you can't walk around the store without bumping into an "adult playtime" toy or obscene greeting card, which is a shame because they do sell some fun stuff if you can find it (that's how I got my Fraggle wall clock).
Yup, Spencer's does have some cool Muppet and Fraggle stuff. And yeah some other stuff that makes you blush to say the least, lol. :embarrassed::concern:

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
The Spencers near me hides all the dirty stuff in the back of the store behind a giant wall of fuzzy hats

Ozymandias

Reaction score
The Spencers near me hides all the dirty stuff in the back of the store behind a giant wall of fuzzy hats
As does the one in Edmonton. Actually, the only questionable sexual content I saw in Spencers there was the lingere that was on the back wall. :embarrassed: I kind of feel sorry for the rest of you now, haha. :smile:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
As does the one in Edmonton. Actually, the only questionable sexual content I saw in Spencers there was the lingere that was on the back wall. :embarrassed: I kind of feel sorry for the rest of you now, haha. :smile:
Well I mean what's funny is that stuff is supposed to show how rebellious and dark you are, yet you're buying it from a store and contributing to the Capitalist system, lol.

Drtooth

Reaction score
There really is a scarcity of Regular Show material. I've seen Adventure Time stuff at Kohl's and other fairly big-name department stores, but to get my Mordecai and Rigby shirt I had to go to a Hot Topic, which isn't exactly the kind of store that welcomes people with open arms. I'm waiting for the "Mordecai and the Rigbys" t-shirt to come out.
I want a High Five Ghost plush. I could probably make one, but I'm not that handy with that sort of thing. Hopefully in time, we'll see more stuff... maybe an actuion figure line... though I'd tend to think one of those overpriced blind box ginzu toys from Kid Robot would be more likely.

I haven't even really seen any new CN show since they dug themselves into a grave in 2004, but even before then, I didn't like the way they suddenly treated every new show of theirs like a cash-cow... Dexter and Powerpuffs had a little bit of merchandising, but that was because they were genuinely two of CN's more successful and popular shows... EEnE EVENTUALLY got more merchadising when they realized it was a hit as well... but once KND came out (which I quickly got sick of because of how over-rated it became), it seems like every new show CN added to the network instantly got merchandising galore.
CN really lost it with the horrid line up of the disappointing, but watchable Camp Lazlo (Joe Murray should have brought some Rocko writers along with him... that is, if half of them didn't move onto other things), Squirrel Boy (which I never have seen, but I am a fan of Everett Peck's artwork... I doubt it would be funny as Duckman if Lazlo was any indication), and, worst of them all, My Gym partner is a Monkey. That was just non-stop Monkey Butt humor.

Sure, I'd like to say CN's glory days were back during the Dexter/Cow and Chicken/Johnny Bravo/Powerpuff Girls, but even then they had some hit or miss (mostly hit) up until they canceled Fosters and Grim. What ticked me off was they pegged Chowder and Flapjack as shows that would save the network, and they just couldn't wait to cancel them for shows about 5 year old internet videos and 5 year old stolen programing from Discovery Kids.

Again, this was because Hanna Montana was popular at the time, and every network felt they needed to clone their programming to compete. Nickelodeon's still in that phase.

Still, Regular Show and Adventure Time are matter of taste things... took me more episodes of Adventure Time for me to get into than Regular Show (which pretty much won me over with the Hummus Rap, which was the first one I saw). But that stuff, as well as the DC action shows, put CN back where it needs to be... they have a ways to go, IMO... but they're more together than Nick is. They refuse to give any new Nicktoon a chance, and frankly... Spongebob wasn't popular or even mass merchandised until maybe the second year it was on. I'm guessing no one remembers the show premiered in 1999! If Spongebob premiered today, it would last a half a season and get replaced with another Big Time Rush ripoff. That's why I'm VERY worried about their TMNT series. At least we're getting a great IDW comic series from it.

HandsomeGH

Reaction score
I dunno, call me a prude...but Adventure Time makes me sick.

Give me The Muppets Show or old Looney Tunes anyday.