Stupidity Just Won't Quit

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
To quote the late Frank Zappa:
"Some scientists argue that the basic building block of the universe is hydrogen, because it's so abundant. I disagree. I feel the basic building block of the universe is stupidity, because it's even more abundant than hydrogen".

There's a tv commercial selling a book on How To Get Out Of Debt. But the only way to buy the book is to charge it to your credit card.

Get out of debt by putting yourself further in debt. This idea is dumber than a second coat of paint.

Drtooth

Reaction score
You know you're basically talking about infomercials, right? That's a ground of stupidity that's been around for decades.

The thing that worries me are those Investo-trade/make money off of real estate infomercials that are still on, even when that sort of double dealing get rich quick scheme got us in trouble in the first place.

This is the best way to describe it...

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Infomercials prey on people who are that desperate for money they will try anything. Its not so much stupidity as it is for not knowing any better in some people's cases. Other people there's no excuse.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Infomercials prey on people who are that desperate for money they will try anything. Its not so much stupidity as it is for not knowing any better in some people's cases. Other people there's no excuse.
Actually, not every product they advertise doesn't work. Of course, I'm talking about kitchen gadgets. It's a hit or miss ballpark, but a lot of the things they advertise actually do work. I've heard complaints about those ultra-sharp knives they sell accidentally cutting someone's hands because they didn't realize that they were that sharp. If that isn't a recommendation, I don't know what is. Of course, I once heard someone on the radio talking about how crappy the Magic Bullet actually is, and when making the quesadilla, half the stuff got stuck at the top and the rest of the stuff liquified.

But if it's Kevin Treudeua, the guy's a freaking con man. Either what he has to say is either common knowledge he swiped from another book or unspecifics, or stuff that wouldn't apply to you anyway (Free Money They don't want you to know about, for example). And he's a total "OH NOES! The Government's after me!" Illuminati/N.W.O conspiracy theory poser to try to make what he's saying sound like he has very inside information when, like I said... common knowledge stolen from someone else. And the Government's after him, not for these stupid books, but rather a bunch of schemes from the 1980's.

Uncle Waldo had more integrity.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
Actually, not every product they advertise doesn't work. Of course, I'm talking about kitchen gadgets. It's a hit or miss ballpark, but a lot of the things they advertise actually do work. I've heard complaints about those ultra-sharp knives they sell accidentally cutting someone's hands because they didn't realize that they were that sharp. If that isn't a recommendation, I don't know what is. Of course, I once heard someone on the radio talking about how crappy the Magic Bullet actually is, and when making the quesadilla, half the stuff got stuck at the top and the rest of the stuff liquified.

But if it's Kevin Treudeua, the guy's a freaking con man. Either what he has to say is either common knowledge he swiped from another book or unspecifics, or stuff that wouldn't apply to you anyway (Free Money They don't want you to know about, for example). And he's a total "OH NOES! The Government's after me!" Illuminati/N.W.O conspiracy theory poser to try to make what he's saying sound like he has very inside information when, like I said... common knowledge stolen from someone else. And the Government's after him, not for these stupid books, but rather a bunch of schemes from the 1980's.

Uncle Waldo had more integrity.
Isn't he from Hoppity Hooper?

newsmanfan

Reaction score
------------
Oh yeah. I laughed my not-in-debt butt off when I heard Trudeau was up on fraud charges. Hilarious!

When I worked at a bookstore and took in used books for trade, we practiced a strict non-censorship policy; in other words, if I knew a particular book would sell, or looked strange or rare, even if it was something I despised (Bill O'Reilly, Mein Kampf --yes, a first English edition, "Why God Hates Gays" or whatever) I'd still take it in for trade for the store. The only times I EVER made an exception for that were the get-rich-quick-in-real-estate-with-no-money-down! books. I refused to ever take those, on the grounds that even stupid people ought to have someone looking out for them...
-----------

Teheheman

Reaction score
To quote the late Frank Zappa:
"Some scientists argue that the basic building block of the universe is hydrogen, because it's so abundant. I disagree. I feel the basic building block of the universe is stupidity, because it's even more abundant than hydrogen".

There's a tv commercial selling a book on How To Get Out Of Debt. But the only way to buy the book is to charge it to your credit card.

Get out of debt by putting yourself further in debt. This idea is dumber than a second coat of paint.
That's America, Ladies and Gentlemen

Daniel

Drtooth

Reaction score
------------
Oh yeah. I laughed my not-in-debt butt off when I heard Trudeau was up on fraud charges. Hilarious!
He was on fraud charges EVEN before he started writing those Medicine Wagon books.

You know what kills me? We can't so much as advertise candy on kid's programming, which basically funds the stuff, because kids are apparently so incredibly stupid that they can't make their own decisions, and advertising is "brainwashing" kids to want to buy things (in other words, condemning a commercial for BEING a commercial), but it's A-okay to sell investo-trade, get rich and healthy quick schemes because adults are not at all complete and utter impatient, selfish morons because they're older.

And here's the kicker. The Big evil government that Treudeau keeps whining about (for street cred, that is) keeps granting him court appeals that allow him to keep making infomercials that same said big evil overreaching government doesn't regulate. If he was oh so persecuted as he says, he'd be in jail and have all his assets frozen and given back to his victims.

Seriously.. I HATE the infomercial. I wish stations would go back to dead air. At least its dignified.