DARK CRYSTAL and LABYRINTH videogames based on the movies

Would you be interested in videogames based on these movies?

• Total voters

cookietribe

Reaction score
Hi everyone, there are some cool ideas here for rpg games. From time to time I've daydreamed about ideas for videogames for the Dark Crystal. Maybe you're familiar or a fan of real time strategy games like Warcraft 3, Age of Empires, etc. I was thinking it would be interesting to see a Dark Crystal rts/rpg hybrid game, or at least a Dark Crystal rts/rpg mod inside of an existing game such as Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos, Battle for Middle Earth 2 (Lord of the Rings), Age of Mythology, Rise of Legends, etc.

The only drawback might be the small number of characters in the original Dark Crystal film, but in recent times some games have combined rts with rpg using smaller groups of characters. The Skeksis, urRu, and Gelflings are the major species; with other species like the Podlings and fauna like the Landstriders, Nebrie, Mounders, etc. I could see an alliance of Pod people with Gelflings and urRu fighting together against the Skeksis and Garthim. Perhaps starting the game or mod's campaign in the past when the Gelfling's civilization was at its peak would work, culminating in a siege on the Skeksis castle as portrayed at the end of the film.

Along the way you could visit various villages, natural landscapes and ruins to learn new skills and history. Aughra could randomly show up or be summoned as a traveling heroine character with special powers. And we have the comics and graphic novels for more storylines. I'm not sure what the chances are to get a Dark Crystal rpg game made since there hasn't been much news about the planned sequel film, or if any of the rts mod communities out there would be interested in such a project. I did read once that the Arakkoa from World of Warcraft were inspired by the Skeksis.

I did come across something really cool on youtube for the game Spore. Some people have made Dark Crystal creatures using the Spore Creature Creator. I haven't played it yet, but apparently you can use the species to build civilizations of their own in the game which is funny and intriguing. You can view them here:
urRu
urRu
Skeksis
here
here
Landstrider
Landstrider
- It would be funny if the Skeksis ended up building a castle in the game like the one they took over in the film.

Heavengames is a great fansite for rts games, and there is a list of fantasy rts games there if anyone is interesting in exploring the genre more. Rise of Legends in particular had a unique fantasy world that seems to have been forgotten but is worth a look if you like uncommon fantasy worlds. I recently saw John Carter of Mars which was great, and Woola reminded me of Fizzgig - you always gotta have a cute doggy friend - ruff ruff!

Scooterforever

Reaction score
Those videos are quite awesome, Cookietribe. Good to know others would like to see a DC videogame as well.

Laszlo

Reaction score
Meh, they worked with what they had at the time. At least there was a Labyrinth game, whereas we'll likely never have a DC game.
There were 2 DC games as well:
http://www.sierragamers.com/aspx/m/679402

http://www.sierragamers.com/aspx/blob2/blobpage.aspx/msgid/653034

But to be honest I was never interested in videogames back then because I always wanted games with movie quality graphics. Now, after 30 years of waiting we have (almost) movie quality games... finally!

cookietribe

Reaction score
Yeah the videos and game are pretty cool. You can check out the whole Spore series here on Mobygames, which is a great videogame database. There are also sections for Sesame Street and Jim Henson videogames.

I did some more searching on Sporepedia and found more Dark Crystal creatures made by fans. There's also a lot of other Jim Henson muppets and creatures, as well as almost anything if you type in to search. All of the creatures are made with the Spore Creature Creator and are available to download and play inside the Spore game. For some reason the search results won't display 1,2,3... etc so you'll have to reload these pages to get access to all the results:

Mystics/urRu
Skeksis
Podling
Aughra
Landstrider
Dark Crystal