1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

DARK CRYSTAL and LABYRINTH videogames based on the movies

Discussion in 'Fantasy Worlds' started by Laszlo, Feb 23, 2012.

?

Would you be interested in videogames based on these movies?

1. Yes, sure!

91.7%
  2. Not at all

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Maybe

8.3%
Buy the Muppets Most Wanted Blu-ray and Save 43%!

1. Laszlo

Laszlo Member

I would love to see videogames on these 2 franchises.
    How cool it would be to enter a fully interactive world of Dark Crystal and Labyrinth.
    I can imagine a similar technology to Tomb Raider or Uncharted for these.
    Play as Jen... find Aughra, choose the right Crystal, escape from the Garthim, ... or play as Sarah, find the way through the Labyrith, avoid dangerous traps, meet strange creatures, and so on.
    cookietribe likes this.
  2. RedPiggy

RedPiggy Well-Known Member

I would like a blend of genres. Dark Crystal screams RPG, but there is action, so there can be that too. Musical minigames (first with the Wisest of the Mystics, to learn the song you'd then have to play by memory over at Aughra's, plus perhaps calming the environment, depending on how you view those quiet solos he does) would be good. Tracking and then racing those stilt creatures would be a nice addition.

For Labyrinth, I desperately want two points of view (at least). One version should be from Jareth's POV. I want to start off before the movie, sulking about how awful my life is, building the Labyrinth. Obstacles would be based on choices I've made during the story (while I haven't played it, I saw the let's play of Silent Hill Shattered Memories and I dig the idea of issues cropping up based on how you answer questions or what you look at). Then there's this chick who makes a wish over in the real world and your job is to frustrate her attempted rescue of that kid you stole. The other version would be from Sarah's POV. If you played as her first, you'd get a default Labyrinth. However, if you played as Jareth first, the flagged save would then influence the Labyrinth you experience. Like the Silent Hill franchise, I want multiple endings, as fans all have their issues and to stop the loud griping that happened at the end of Return to Labyrinth, fans could get the ending they so desired, from Sarah and baby Toby becoming goblins, to Sarah becoming Jareth's queen, to the canon ending that Sarah successfully rescues Toby and goes home all the wiser.
    cookietribe, Ozymandias and The Count like this.
  3. Laszlo

Laszlo Member

Well, Im not really interested in playing as Jareth. I like the Labyrinth as it is... a mysterious place which can always change. Im more interested in story driven games. "ZELDA Ocarina of time" was also great.
  4. RedPiggy

RedPiggy Well-Known Member

^_- More interested in story driven games? Okay, but, but ... why can't Labyrinth be one?
  5. Laszlo

Laszlo Member

Sure, I meant Labyrinth as a story driven game, not a RPG. I would love to see the movie story line in an interactive 3D world. Same with Dark Crystal.
    My main problem with RPGs is, they are complicated and the gameplay and character control is usually wooden. The landscapes in SKYRIM are fantastic, but the character control and animations lack. Also character management gets quite complicated after a while.
  6. Laszlo

Laszlo Member

Please vote... 190+ views but only 4 votes!? :confused:
  7. Scooterforever

Scooterforever Active Member

If they released a Dark Crystal/ Labyrinth game that was as good as what you described, Laszlo, I would kill to get my hands on a copy. I don't mean that metaphorically, BTW, I mean I would MURDER:crazy::crazy::crazy:!
  8. Laszlo

Laszlo Member

Hehe, good to hear Im not the only one... ;)
  9. Scooterforever

I created a thread calling for a new Muppets game a few months back. There's been nearly a dozen over the years, but most of them weren't very good, although I found the Boss Battles in Muppet Racing to be quite fun, though the overall game wasn't great. I wish Disney would release a new Muppets VG. Disney recently made a cool mini-game for their Muppets site where you drive Kermit's Rolls Royce (I imagine you play 80's robot) around and find Muppets around the world. It was fun and addictive. Also, as you probably know, there WAS a Japan-only NES Labyrinth game. I downloaded it on my computer. It's Zelda-style top down. Fun but incredibly difficult gameplay. The ravenous fairies are the worst:ouch:.
  10. Laszlo

Laszlo Member

Hehe, yes Ive seen the old games. Those graphics... :eek:
  11. Scooterforever

Meh, they worked with what they had at the time. At least there was a Labyrinth game, whereas we'll likely never have a DC game.
  12. cookietribe

cookietribe New Member

Hi everyone, there are some cool ideas here for rpg games. From time to time I've daydreamed about ideas for videogames for the Dark Crystal. Maybe you're familiar or a fan of real time strategy games like Warcraft 3, Age of Empires, etc. I was thinking it would be interesting to see a Dark Crystal rts/rpg hybrid game, or at least a Dark Crystal rts/rpg mod inside of an existing game such as Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos, Battle for Middle Earth 2 (Lord of the Rings), Age of Mythology, Rise of Legends, etc.

The only drawback might be the small number of characters in the original Dark Crystal film, but in recent times some games have combined rts with rpg using smaller groups of characters. The Skeksis, urRu, and Gelflings are the major species; with other species like the Podlings and fauna like the Landstriders, Nebrie, Mounders, etc. I could see an alliance of Pod people with Gelflings and urRu fighting together against the Skeksis and Garthim. Perhaps starting the game or mod's campaign in the past when the Gelfling's civilization was at its peak would work, culminating in a siege on the Skeksis castle as portrayed at the end of the film.

Along the way you could visit various villages, natural landscapes and ruins to learn new skills and history. Aughra could randomly show up or be summoned as a traveling heroine character with special powers. And we have the comics and graphic novels for more storylines. I'm not sure what the chances are to get a Dark Crystal rpg game made since there hasn't been much news about the planned sequel film, or if any of the rts mod communities out there would be interested in such a project. I did read once that the Arakkoa from World of Warcraft were inspired by the Skeksis.

I did come across something really cool on youtube for the game Spore. Some people have made Dark Crystal creatures using the Spore Creature Creator. I haven't played it yet, but apparently you can use the species to build civilizations of their own in the game which is funny and intriguing. You can view them here:
    urRu
    urRu
    Skeksis
    here
    here
    Landstrider
    Landstrider
    - It would be funny if the Skeksis ended up building a castle in the game like the one they took over in the film.

Heavengames is a great fansite for rts games, and there is a list of fantasy rts games there if anyone is interesting in exploring the genre more. Rise of Legends in particular had a unique fantasy world that seems to have been forgotten but is worth a look if you like uncommon fantasy worlds. I recently saw John Carter of Mars which was great, and Woola reminded me of Fizzgig - you always gotta have a cute doggy friend - ruff ruff!
  13. Scooterforever

Those videos are quite awesome, Cookietribe. Good to know others would like to see a DC videogame as well.
    cookietribe likes this.
  14. Laszlo

Laszlo Member

There were 2 DC games as well:
    http://www.sierragamers.com/aspx/m/679402

http://www.sierragamers.com/aspx/blob2/blobpage.aspx/msgid/653034

But to be honest I was never interested in videogames back then because I always wanted games with movie quality graphics. Now, after 30 years of waiting we have (almost) movie quality games... finally!
  15. cookietribe

cookietribe New Member

Yeah the videos and game are pretty cool. You can check out the whole Spore series here on Mobygames, which is a great videogame database. There are also sections for Sesame Street and Jim Henson videogames.

I did some more searching on Sporepedia and found more Dark Crystal creatures made by fans. There's also a lot of other Jim Henson muppets and creatures, as well as almost anything if you type in to search. All of the creatures are made with the Spore Creature Creator and are available to download and play inside the Spore game. For some reason the search results won't display 1,2,3... etc so you'll have to reload these pages to get access to all the results:

Mystics/urRu
    Skeksis
    Podling
    Aughra
    Landstrider
    Dark Crystal
  16. Laszlo

Laszlo Member

17. bandit

bandit Well-Known Member