I Absolutely Hate Sewing

TheCreatureWork

Reaction score
I recommend using a ladder stitch- see my tutorial.

The problem you are having is that your stitches are too big- with a whip stitch you need to enter the fabric with the needle pretty close to the fabric line. If you enter the fabric too high and then tighten it will cause the fabric to "roll" and bunch up -thus causing the bulge you see. Although hand stitching is a pain I recommend making it less of a pain- play a movie (you've already seen) in the background or favourite music. Have good lighting and practice, practice, practice.

WillyThePig

Reaction score
when doing the whipstitch, try making the entrance of the needle closer to the edge of the fabric. I make this mistake too often that you'd think i would have leanred not to do it by now. I know what im doing wrong but i can't help it!!!

Diego Fiorucci

Reaction score
I heard and read about some people that use cotton fleece to Kermit, others use anti-pill fleece and others, Antron fleece. I see all the pictures I can, and I know the full body Muppets in posters aren't the puppets used in TV programs and movies. I would like to know which fleece is exactly what is Kermit made of in new movies?

Muppetlab

Reaction score
I heard and read about some people that use cotton fleece to Kermit, others use anti-pill fleece and others, Antron fleece. I see all the pictures I can, and I know the full body Muppets in posters aren't the puppets used in TV programs and movies. I would like to know which fleece is exactly what is Kermit made of in new movies?
He is made from the modern antron and his colour is pantone 375

Diego Fiorucci

Reaction score
Do you whip stitch it while the fabric is ON the foam understructure? Are you using seam allowances?

The best results I've seen are done this way:

1. make foam puppet, with mouthplate installed.
2. cut fleece with no seam allowances.
3. pin fleece (WRONG SIDE OUT!) onto foam puppet, paying particular attention to the centerline. Make sure fleece lies flat and that you pin at mouth with about 1/2 inch overhang at mouthplate (which will be glued later). Again, make sure everything is wrong side out and more or less lying flat.
4. whipstich all the darts first, make sure they line up and that everything still lies flat.
5. whipstitch the center seam all the way around. I usually leave the last 2-3 inches open at the back of the neck so I can turn it easier, then finish it with the ladder/Henson stitch once it's turned.
6. once everything's sewn, unpin it and turn everything right side out.
7. Put fleece back on foam right side out and re-pin the entire thing. If there is any extra fabric, try to make it pull to the back of the head that is still open. You shouldn;t have to, but you can easily cut any excess fabric from here if you have to before you sew it shut using the Henson stitch.
8. Once it looks good, glue at the mouth and sew up the back.
9. You may have to pick a few seams, but this seems to be the best way of going about it.

Thanks for these instructions! They're very clear.

Diego Fiorucci

Reaction score
He is made from the modern antron and his colour is pantone 375
Ok, thanks. I also read here it's pantone 375C, I don't know if it's too different and wich one is the exact color. The other inportant color is the collar and the soles.
This modern antron is too different that the other?
I have a real problem here, I can't access to some fabrics because is not possible to import these days in my country, and it's all too expensive.
Thanks again.