The Song of the Count vs. The Batty Bat

Oscarfan

Reaction score
While I'd prefer they show the original and not do a remake, they haven't shown classic segments in years. When last season began it looked as if it was limiting the segments to Elmo's World and stuff shot in HD, though by the end of the season they showed more stuff from as far back as the early 1990s. It won't surprise me if someday they limit it all to stuff shot in HD. And then they'd have to either make new versions of classic songs for new audiences to enjoy or not show classic songs at all. Though it seems like it's been years since they last showed the 1990s remakes of Rubber Duckie and C is for Cookie.

I've also just noticed that it's been a long time since many of the shows classic characters had their own song. Not counting group numbers like What I Am, when's the last time The Count, Bert, Grover, or Cookie Monster got to sing a new song on their own? Have Big Bird or Oscar even sung anything new in recent years?
The 1990's remake of "C is for Cookie" was played so infrequently. I don't know why, but I'd love for them to use it on the show again this season.

Big Bird was involved in a musical insert from season 39 and had some songs in season 40 and 41 episodes he appeared in. The Count got a new song this season, "Eight is Great". It wasn't that great, but hey, beggars can't be choosers.

ISNorden

Reaction score
Hmmm...as a Gen-X viewer I remember "The Song of the Count" a bit more personally, though my memories aren't as sunny as most of the others involving Sesame Street songs. The minor key, mostly slow tempo, and lists of things the Count counted made me think of him as a tragic and lonely character who counted to keep himself from going insane.

"The Batty Bat" didn't come out until I was almost out of high school (and rarely watched TV at all), so I've got less personal attachment to that song. Still, I can see why it's more popular: the music is more upbeat and catchier, and the lyrics show the Count in a more fun-loving light.

Based on my knowledge and experience, I'd have to say that the jury is out!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
The question might be is it "The Song of the Count" or "Counting is Wonderful" (which has been recorded twice by the way).
I don't ever remember seeing or hearing "Counting is Wonderful". In fact it's a Count song I hardly think about. I was wondering whether it was done on the show or was an audio-only song, and after checking Muppet Wiki saw that it was performed on the show (though Muppet Wiki doesn't have any images from it yet). Here's hoping that Sesame Workshop adds that clip to sesamestreet.org soon (it's been a long time since any classic clips have been added, though a few classic clips that have already been added have just recently been put into the "recently added" bar, for some reason). If they ever release a spotlight video for The Count I'm now hoping "Counting is Wonderful" gets included.

FrackleFan2012

Reaction score
I've grown up with The Count's Batty Bat song so I would go with Batty Bat. :batty:

FrackleFan2012

Reaction score
Yup! Me too.
This song is one of my favorites and may be stuck in my head (and in my dreams) soon.
It's a fun dance to do occasionally.

Reaction score
I prefer The Song of the Count personally because I feel that it accurately shows in one song what the character is about all in one song. Though growing up I have had more exposure to The Batty Bat, I prefer The Song of the Count for the reasons stated above.

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
To bump this thread, I too am taking the sides of those who prefer "The Song of The Count". My reason is of course, because like everyone else has been saying, "The Batty Bat" is too overrated, and because "The Song of The Count" shows The Count's personality better. :batty: