Contest: Design art for Fraggle Rock 30th anniversary merchandise

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I was wondering if you had entered or not, but understand completely. I probably shouldn't have entered myself either, but I did & have learned my lesson, never again. Not getting any votes and being ridiculed already for "bad" artwork from some(yes, people do have a right to opinions, good or bad), I'm having to avoid my kitchen knife drawer to keep from stabbing a knife in my chest. (joking /sigh) :sigh: (Don't worry, I'll be fine, but the invisible knife jabs through the monitor screen have been painfully felt though.)

Thanks for featuring my artwork entry on your DA page, I was surprised and the kindness has been appreciated. :excited:
Please don't worry about that at all. I received my share of bad comments for last year's Muppetational Mosaic too! Let me transcribe my favorite one for you:

"OnASteek/Oct 6, 2011/2:10:23:
This piece of crap won? I thought this was one of the ugliest designs. I'm guessing it's because of the zoomed in pics. Yeah it's nice on a computer screen (in a sense) but on a shirt it's going to look like crap and anyone passing by you is going to think he has worms or something crawling under his flesh/felt. There are shirts with just that Kermit head with the right colored eyes where it won't look like Kermit has a festering, infectious skin disease."
The design actually looks very nice when printed. I've actually seen it around town, on a celebrity and in facebook photos around the world. The shirt has since sold-through multiple times and was very popular on print and canvas too!

We are the brave ones! As artists we put ourselves out there and we'll never get anywhere unless we do. Both criticism and praise should be taken in perspective. Sure, we create works for others to enjoy, but there's no way to make everyone enjoy it. Keep your head up!

These votes don't mean a darn thing except for the fan-fave winner who will get the same prize as the 8 runners-up chosen by Henson. I'm certain they will look at ALL of the entries. Incidentally, my entry doesn't even make my personal top 5 (shhhh) and my picks wouldn't likely make many others' lists either. :coy: My taste skews more toward these selections. It's all a matter of personal taste:

Kermieuk

Reaction score
Well Done Foodie, Your design is currently the highest voted.
Negative comments are so unkind and not needed. Not everyone is going to like veryones designs but surely people can just move on without the need to be so cruel.
Voting is going very well for me. I really wish I spent more time uploading my image as Its not the best quality and doesnt show the detail to its full.

Lets hope a MuppetCentral forum member gets the highest vote!
Heres my entry again, Im getting some AMAZING comments and Fraggle Rock performer and puppet builder Terry Angus voted and left a very complimentary comment.

Keep voting guys, I really appreciate the support.

Kermieuk

Reaction score
Here is the design in progress. The original sketch, before the logo was added and before a few minor tweaks and finishing touches.

Kermieuk

Reaction score
Finally here is a quick scribble on a scrap of paper to test different colour options. Heres the Yellow and Blue colour test on a cute Doozer!

Tom Fraggle

Reaction score
Is anyone else having issues with Talent House right now? I can't vote with Facebook or Twitter at the moment and keeping being told that my account isn't linked....? It was working fine this morning. I'm trying to help people out!
It appears to "time out" occasionally for some reason. What I've had to do is log out completely of TalentHouse and Facebook and close my browser completely. Then loaded my browser back up, logged onto Facebook, then TalentHouse and I was back in the voting business.

I wish there was a way to see all 500+ entries, but I've noticed that while I press "next" to see next submission, sometimes I'll see some of the same entries over and over again every few slides, weird. Anyone else have any luck to see all 500+ entries? I've only managed to see about 200+ entries so far. Only got one more day to hopefully see a few more I haven't seen yet when I got some spare time.

Looks like the battle for 1st and 2nd place is going to be close. Foodie here on Muppet Central, also known as Phraggle over on DA, is in a fight to keep top place as him and the other top voted piece of Fraggle art keep switching 1st and 2nd place.

Go Foodie Go!!! :excited:

Tom Fraggle

Reaction score
I went back and did a retake on my 30th Anniversary drawing. This has nothing to do with the contest now, I just wanted to redo it. You know, challenge myself, see what I could come up with differently, attempt to fix some of my mistakes.

So I moved the Fraggles around into a closer group, changed the background, and added their title.

If my attempt to post an image doesn't work again here, check out my updated Fraggle Rock Anniversary Group. <<<(Click on the blue link.)

I really enjoyed doing this 30th Anniversary drawing and I hope you all like it too. I really had some fun with this one.

<<heh, nope, still doesn't work. Have no clue what I'm still doing wrong. Any ideas?

Tom Fraggle

Reaction score
Please don't worry about that at all. I received my share of bad comments for last year's Muppetational Mosaic too! Let me transcribe my favorite one for you:

"OnASteek/Oct 6, 2011/2:10:23:
This piece of crap won? I thought this was one of the ugliest designs. I'm guessing it's because of the zoomed in pics. Yeah it's nice on a computer screen (in a sense) but on a shirt it's going to look like crap and anyone passing by you is going to think he has worms or something crawling under his flesh/felt. There are shirts with just that Kermit head with the right colored eyes where it won't look like Kermit has a festering, infectious skin disease."
The design actually looks very nice when printed. I've actually seen it around town, on a celebrity and in facebook photos around the world. The shirt has since sold-through multiple times and was very popular on print and canvas too!

We are the brave ones! As artists we put ourselves out there and we'll never get anywhere unless we do. Both criticism and praise should be taken in perspective. Sure, we create works for others to enjoy, but there's no way to make everyone enjoy it. Keep your head up!
Thanks for the words of encouragement. You inspired me to go back and redo my contest drawing, do something different with it, even if it isn't an entry now. I posted a link to it on this forum, since I still can't get the actual image to display, only a blank box with IMG in the middle of it.

Your drawing, "The Muppetational Mosaic", looks totally awesome!

Twisted Tails

Reaction score
I went back and did a retake on my 30th Anniversary drawing. This has nothing to do with the contest now, I just wanted to redo it. You know, challenge myself, see what I could come up with differently, attempt to fix some of my mistakes.

So I moved the Fraggles around into a closer group, changed the background, and added their title.

If my attempt to post an image doesn't work again here, check out my updated Fraggle Rock Anniversary Group. <<<(Click on the blue link.)

I really enjoyed doing this 30th Anniversary drawing and I hope you all like it too. I really had some fun with this one.

<<heh, nope, still doesn't work. Have no clue what I'm still doing wrong. Any ideas?
I did finally see you drawing, Tom Fraggle. This was amazing! Wow! This is perfect! Speaking of music, Red (macras), Gobo (gourd), Mokey (flute or something), Wembley (bongos), and Boober (washboard I think). The simlarieties I have seen are: on the Fraggle Rockin' A Collection (CD set), on the FR episode "The Lost Treasure of Fraggle Rock", but there was only Mokey, Wembley, and Boober playing the instruments and on one of the Fraggle Rock DVD sets.

Tom, I don't believe this! Go Tom! :excited:

Tom Fraggle

Reaction score
I got some help figuring out what I was doing wrong in posting images on another part of the forums here and I can now post images. So here is what I recently tried to post. This isn't my 30th anniversary contest entry, but it is a redo of it, I did this past weekend to challenge myself that I could do something (hopefully) a little better than what I had entered. Enjoy!