Fraggle Rock Movie Gets Screenwriters (Hollywood Reporter)

Tbird29

Reaction score
Wow! Im so outta my league here! LOL. All this talk of directors and movie teams...all I know is what i saw on tv as a kid and what re-runs are on tv for my kids to watch! I hope they do make a movie though!:busy:

SesameFever

Reaction score
I read a year or so ago that the movie was gonna be about The Fraggles leaving Fraggle Rock and going into Outer Space with Uncle Traveling Matt. I like this idea. What do you guys think of it?????

Redsonga

Reaction score
I've had a few years to think and I've come to the mind I'd rather have a movie of any Fraggle sort to bring attention back to Fraggle Rock (and buying copies of the classic series on DVD) than none at all for fear of it not being 'perfect':dreamy: .

muppetlover123

Reaction score
so im guessing they lost focus for this movie again. unless on the fraggle's 30th they release a 30 min special for the occasion but i doubt that would happen with all of the preformers in london for TM...A

Drtooth

Reaction score
This movie's never going to happen because only Henson wants to see it get made. I think Legacy or whoever bought the rights to the film bought the rights to it to sit on it. That does happen. Studios who buy up rights just to sit on them.

Look at how sad their DTV release of Sid the Science Kid the Movie was.

muppetlover123

Reaction score
yeah i was thinking that but i wish they would make some like 30th primetime special but i doubt thats gonna happen

lazesummestone

Reaction score
I really feel like Henson is trying so hard to get the Fraggle franchise started again- but this movie is really difficult! When will the stars be aligned!?

Drtooth

Reaction score
I really feel like Henson is trying so hard to get the Fraggle franchise started again- but this movie is really difficult! When will the stars be aligned!?
As much as I am for closing/locking this thread until we get further updates...

Henson totally wants Fraggle Rock to be their standout franchise. You can't blame them. After the EMTV sale and eventual sale back to Disney, FR is the only original Muppet property that Henson owns. Disney has the Muppets, Sesame Workshop has the Muppets from their show. The problem is the first studio completely screwed Henson over, and this studio hasn't revealed anything else either. The Muppets was a modest success. It made back double the cost, and was the second highest grossing Muppet film. That should have been a sign, but it wasn't. There's going to be a Doozer preschool series, just not in the US for some reason. So, the next best thing is merchandising.

We all hope something is going on with this film. We haven't heard anything for an additional year or two since the announcement the project changed hands.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
They initially put the cart before the horse by releasing too much information to the press. I'm okay with the silence now. Henson is obviously trying to launch the Fraggle brand. They've had two T-shirt contests, there's more merchandise, the Fraggles are making public appearances, they're popping up on the Hub and that Doozer program is finally going to be a reality. All of this lays the groundwork for a Fraggle Movie. We'll just have to be patient. It could shoot this year. It could take five years to get things together. The Fraggles aren't getting any older. The people who play them are and that's a concern. And I'm sure that Henson would want to keep the original crew together.

Drtooth

Reaction score
They initially put the cart before the horse by releasing too much information to the press. I'm okay with the silence now. Henson is obviously trying to launch the Fraggle brand. They've had two T-shirt contests, there's more merchandise, the Fraggles are making public appearances, they're popping up on the Hub and that Doozer program is finally going to be a reality. All of this lays the groundwork for a Fraggle Movie. We'll just have to be patient. It could shoot this year. It could take five years to get things together. The Fraggles aren't getting any older. The people who play them are and that's a concern. And I'm sure that Henson would want to keep the original crew together.
While I would hate to see something rushed, they really need to strike while the iron is hot. Henson is trying to reestablish the brand so a movie makes financial sense. Unfortunately, movies make the brand now. Too many of these studios put too much on the performance of a movie, and you wind up with either the film failing and the franchise disappearing on sliding scales of a few years to forever. Or the movie becomes too popular and that's all anyone wants, especially the retailers. I mean, look at Transformers. Both Animated and Prime got screwed by stores wanting more movie merchandise that doesn't really sell as well as they think. That sort of thing actually killed the TMNT 2k3 series... killed the franchise until Nick bought it up, making us wait years for a comeback.

Now, two things could go down. We could have the Fraggle Movie bomb, and have Henson running back to CGI kid's programming, or the film could be a real success... but if they change anything, that's all we'll get.

So I get why they're being careful about this, but if they hold out any longer, they'll lose those nostalgic parents with kids young enough to want to see Fraggles. That's their key audience right there.