Remembering Jerry Nelson (July 10, 1934-August 23, 2012)

GoboDeadly95

Reaction score
I know this has been mentioned but will someone please comment with updates as to whether or not there is a place in which I can send a condolence card/drawing/poem to the Muppet company for Mr. Nelson? Please, please let me know.
Thanks
Gobo

mbmfrog

Reaction score
You know it's funny, even though we were never given a proper meeting between the two characters, at least Sesame Street finally allowed Mumford and Abby to meet together at last with Jerry voicing the role.

Wow, I never realized how fun Mumford was on the show with Jerry voicing him until now. I got say Mr. Nelson was a truly talented man.

Slackbot

Reaction score
*sigh* I watch one episode of Fraggle Rock a day. I just go through the DVDs in order. Today's ep was Manny's Land of Carpets. It just about destroyed me when Gobo and Wembley sang Good-bye, Good-bye (Just a Rainbow in the Sky).

Goodbye, goodbye,
And every eye is dry.
Leavin', there's no grievin', just a rainbow in the sky.
Goodbye, goodbye,
Goodbye, goodbye.​

GoboDeadly95

Reaction score
but Jerry and the other performers are all special to me because they helped me, as a teenager desperate to fit in (as I was when I became a Muppet fan), to see that it was okay to think outside the box, to be different, and even to be a little weird. And for that, I'll always be grateful. Thank you, Jerry.
All I have to say is even the teachers know how big a fan I am. I'm uncertain if people think it's cool or if they think it's weird but in all honesty I couldn't care less. I think people pick on me for it or make a joke out of it. But then I realize, THEY are the one's missing out not me.
I found it really sad that today in religon class my religon teacher started singing Manamanah and NO ONE but me knew what he was singing and I laughed (I laugh really loud) and EVERYONE stared at me like I was some kind of crazy person.
I was like SERIOUSLY? You guys didn't get that? It sucks that more people don't know about this. He, and all the other performers are the ones who taught me to wear my rainbow bangles loud and proud. To run around saying me me meep and when your test tube blows in your chemistry lab sophomre year because your friend held it too close to the Bunson burner and squeezed to hard to JUST laugh.
I found out after school and just couldn't help but feel like the Manamanah moment was just a little ironic.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
"I feel blessed to have worked on something that has become such an icon of the times. I've certainly always thought I've been really lucky in that respect. I enjoy singing and I get to sing a lot. I get to be in a band (The Electric Mayhem) without really being in a band. All of those things make me say, 'Well, that's one blessing. That's another blessing. " - Jerry Nelson

Zanshin

Reaction score
I cannot believe he is gone. He did some of my favorite characters, who were extremely memorable, but some times didn't get as much attention as other Muppets. His work should never be overlooked. He will be missed.

GoboDeadly95

Reaction score
*sigh* I watch one episode of Fraggle Rock a day. I just go through the DVDs in order. Today's ep was Manny's Land of Carpets. It just about destroyed me when Gobo and Wembley sang Good-bye, Good-bye (Just a Rainbow in the Sky).
I don't know if I'm strong enough for any Fraggle Rock right now much less that episode. I was just thinking about college and leaving and making decisions and all the things Gobo seemed to have gotten me through. All my indesiciveness and all the things I've tried to do and the quests I'm begining to complete and now I've come to realize that his voice his "father" is gone. It's hard to think about. That song to me once just ment I was growing up and leaving my home behind me. It now means that and that I will never be able to tell my children (except in re-runs) "That's Jerry Nelson, Count Von Count on Sesame Street. I used to watch him when I was little just like you"
It's so hard to say Good-bye. It's something you never want to think about.